Thursday, July 25, 2013

Williamsburg, VA - Part 1

We made a trip to Colonial Williamsburg last Monday.  We had to wait around for two guys to finish off the trim on our garage door first but they had come and gone by noon and we were out the door soon after.  It has been a while since we've been to this quaint little town.  You can read all about it here.


We remembered a small parking lot near the center of the town.  You can park there for two hours and we thought that would be enough time for our walk.  We are going to be be bringing English friends here in September and we wanted a refresher on the lay of the land.  The first thing we saw were these beautiful horses and we made our way over.  I will just post a couple of horse photos today and more later.  They were gorgeous and it wasn't long before one came over to say hello.


When we got to the main street if we turned right it would have taken us to the shops, if we turned left it took us towards the historical area.  We turned left and these are some of the houses that we saw there.







This man had just told Gregg that we needed a ticket to go further along the street.  This was good to know as I don't remember having to do that the last time we were here.  The tickets also get us into the historical houses.  




Two of the young ladies taking time out for a chat and a rest.  The humidity was very high that day.  I don't know how they managed in those long clothes but they looked very pretty dressed in Colonial clothing.


Gregg got a picture of this Colonial Gentleman.....


who touched finger to hat, nodded and smiled and said, "Good day to you Mistress"  as he walked by.  I smiled.


Oh those old world manners!


Do you see that smile?  I wonder what Gregg would look like in a tricorner hat and breeches?  He's retired now, maybe I can persuade him to get a summer job here?  You think?   

22 comments:

Mascha said...

I think this would be a nice summer job, I would do that too. Anyway, I usually wear long dresses ...

ZielonaMila said...

Beautiful photos, interesting place :) Regards

eileeninmd said...

Wonderful shots from your trip! I think all those clothes in the summer would be torture. You have a pretty smile, Denise!

Margaret Adamson said...

Hi Denise It was wonderful to see the beautiful houses in Willensburg and see the people dressed in the old costumes. That looked like a great day out and I am sure your English friends will enjoy it. Margaret

diane b said...

Love your header and the camera. Woo hoo!! The people dressed in colonial outfits are to be commended in the heat. They certainly make the village come alive. The gentleman has the right shaped face as well.

gigihawaii said...

You look great in that hat and I guess Gregg would look good in one, too. Thanks for the virtual tour, Denise.

B. Rogers, Living in Black Mountain said...

Your pictures are great. I follow a blog here...http://livinginwilliamsburgvirginia.blogspot.com/
a picture a day of Williamsburg. I went to William & Mary College one summer, and have fond memories of the town.

Jane and Chris said...

Absolutely love the picture of you in the hat! Yes, old world manners...so elegant.
Jane x

TexWisGirl said...

very cool! love the horses and that garden!

Adam said...

love the photos

MJ said...

What a nice stroll... I felt as if I went along with you. How pretty. The horses looked very happy as well. ♥

beyondwandering.com said...

Fantastic shots and a wonderful event!

Linda Gross said...

It has been a while since we visited Colonial Williamsburg as well. The first time we visited, we didn't buy tickets. I don't recall being stopped, though, while strolling the streets needing a ticket. Yes, tickets were needed to go inside the historical buildings. The second time we went, we did buy tickets. We enjoyed seeing the insides of the buildings we had only enjoyed from the outside. Well worth the expense, in my opinion! Nice pictures of the houses and especially of the horses!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

We've been to Williamsburg a couple of times and I love it there. I thought it would be fun to work there -- Bill said it would be way low on his list. (We both enjoy being completely retired, as I'm sure Greg will, but we've always liked to think about possible volunteer jobs.)

Your photos are great and brought back memories...it was a good idea to check it out before your company comes -- and I'd go there often if we lived closer.

Roy Norris said...

Must have been very interesting to see all of that Denise.
Great Hat by the way, but Gregg should have really had yellow socks.{:)))

Janie said...

Great costumes! They've done a good job in restoring/maintaining the houses. Will be fun to tour them with your friends.

Mary said...

Wonderful! What a great place! Great shots!

NatureFootstep said...

such a great day you had. You have to admire that kind of clothes. :)

Lyn said...

Wow what fantastic costumes!
Xxx

Kay said...

I think you would both be great at Williamsburg. It would be authentic because I'll bet many of the people there spoke with British accents back then. What fun! Such great photos!

Rose said...

I love the back yard/garden in that third shot. And would have enjoyed the rest of your walk. I always wonder how women managed to work in all the clothes they had to wear back then.

grammie g said...

Hi Denise ...I am so far behind on my comments so sorry I haven't been by!!
Don't know what my problem is, just can't get with the program!! Discouraged!!
Well I do love the gentlemen garb, and the glasses ; )!!
I love the lady in the pretty hat in the last shot!! ; )
A bit envious of you,with Gregg retired being able to do and go places !! The way I expected my days of retirement to be, not divorced and alone!!
Cherish your day's
Grace