Monday, July 8, 2013

It's my birthday and Gregg retires!


I am 63 years old!  Where did all those years go?   Inside I still feel the same though my outside would belie most definitely the youthful look I once had and those cartwheel days are long gone, not that I think I was ever any good at performing cartwheels.  So, nothing too exciting planned as I intend to celebrate quietly with Gregg.  

We are both celebrating this week because our other news is that on Friday Gregg will be officially retired from the company he has been working with for the last 20 years.  It is his second retirement as before that he was career navy and I remember that last day very clearly.  I don't think it has sunk in yet for either of us but we are both excited at the thought of this new phase and let the adventure begin.

We have just returned home after celebrating Independence Day with family and friends in Virginia Beach.  We actually drove down on the 4th early in the morning and unlike today it was a smooth ride, with hardly any traffic.  Today was a different story.  Normally it takes between three-and-a-half to four hours, today it took almost six.  We drove all the back roads to avoid heavy freeway traffic and instead of being tedious it was a fun ride through Virginia's beautiful rural countryside.  We also got to see many quaint little towns.  Getting off the beaten track is more often than not well worth it.  Unlike the ride down I didn't fall asleep and Gregg and I chatted non-stop.  

This morning before we left, Gregg's brother and wife asked if we would like to go for a walk around the Norfolk Botanical Garden.  We had a delightful time with them.  They know of trails we had not yet discovered.  If you are ever in the Norfolk area a visit to the garden is well worth it.  Besides the fact that the flowers are so abundant and absolutely breathtaking, right now and up until August 18th there is an outside glass sculpture exhibit.  I am sharing one of them and the photo above doesn't do it justice.  The sun gleaming off it was an awesome sight.  You can look here for information. 

38 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, Sweet Lady.. Hope you are getting some rest today --after your busy holiday weekend.

    We travel the back roads too--and really enjoy doing that.

    The Gardens sound gorgeous... We may have to check them out someday.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgot to say CONGRATS to Gregg for his retirement... NOW--you all can travel even more!!!

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday, Denise! Wow, you don't look sixty at all just like my two older sisters ;-)...must be all that 'busyness'...

    And now that Greg is retired you can both enjoy more trips together. I am both happy and excited for you.

    Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday and best wishes :-)
    (from an 53years old woman)

    It's a greatful garden, I think, you have make fotos too?
    Mascha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday! Hope you have a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 63 years young! Happy Birthday Denise!
    And, hearty congrats to Gregg on retirement - again!
    Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations to both of you. I hope you had a happy quiet birthday. It is exciting news about Gregg I expect to see you in Australia soon. Have fun!!!! You'll love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome day!I wish you lots of happiness!Happy Birthday sweet Denise, lots of love to your heart!
    Léia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday, Denise! And congrats to Gregg on his retirement. The Gardens sounds like a wonderful place to visit. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy, happy birthday, Denise!! And happy retirement to Gregg.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday, Denise! Congratulations, Gregg!
    Aloha from Hawaii.
    That glass sculpture is truly beautiful. Glad you both had such a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday to you, happy birthday toooo you ... be glad that you can´t hear me singing ;) Wish you all the best!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy birthday! And big and wonderful changes ahead for you both with Greg's retirement.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Birthday! and Congrats to Gregg on the retirement. Let the Adventures Begin!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Birthday, Denise! Happy retirement,Gregg!
    I'm looking forward to see what the next stage in your life brings.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Denise, wishing you a very Happy Birthday, and I agree with you, the years have flown by far too quickly. What a lovely present to have your hubby retiring too. Enjoy all that lovely free time that you'll have to spend together.
    Loads of love Karen xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great post, wonderful photo:) Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  18. congrats I hope he enjoys his retirement

    ReplyDelete
  19. happy, happy birthday to a fellow cancer crab! :) and congratulations to gregg (both of you, actually) on his retirement!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I wish you a very happy birthday, and congratulations to Gregg on his re-retirement! You two are always doing neat things, and I expect retirement will be satisfying and enriching! God bless you both.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dear Denise! First, congratulations to Gregg on his second retirement. That's exciting news. And . . . I want to wish you a very happy birthday! It seems you entered this world just a few weeks before I did - I'll be 63 next month. Have a wonderful day. You both have a lot to celebrate! Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy Birthday. The years do fly, don't they. Today is my birthday, too, I'm 69! Congrats to Gregg on his retirement.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy Birthday to you and Happy Retirement to Gregg.

    I turned 63 last January and I retired 7 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Happy Birthday and congratulations to your husband on his retirement.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow! Lots of congratulations to both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Happy birthday to you and happy retirement to Gregg!

    ReplyDelete
  27. You are right where do the years go! 63 years young, I am 70 next month!! Happy birthday and happy retirement to Greg. Have a great week Diane

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Denise..."Happy Birthday Girl", and congratulation to the Gregg on retirement!!
    I am sure you two will have plenty of this to do be off doing!!

    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  29. Happy birthday, Denise! You and I will be the same age for a short time and then I will have to jump a year ahead of you again. Sigh...

    How exciting about Gregg! I'm so excited for you. I can just imagine all the adventures you'll have together.

    ReplyDelete
  30. i would love to see that magnificent glass flower..

    ReplyDelete
  31. Big big changes blessed birthday

    ReplyDelete
  32. Happy belated birthday! How exciting that Gregg is retiring!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Happy Birthday to you. I hope it was a great one. That's exciting about Gregg retiring. Congratulations to him and I hope you both enjoy it and are free to travel and do the things you enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Happy birthday, and heartiest congratulations. I wish for you and Greg, many happy years doing all kinds of things you have dreamed about~
    Mary
    http://anhistoricallady.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. A belated Happy birthday Denise, I hope your day was a special one :)
    Congratulations on Gregg's retirement, so many places to visit together, and now the time to do so ...
    Happy days.
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  36. Congratulations on the birthday (to some of us, you are still just a kid you know)...and on Gregg's upcoming retirement...a big milestone, even if it is the second time you guys have been through it. Good times await!

    That glass sculpture is awe-inspiring; what a nice bonus to the Botanical Garden.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Happy Belated Birthday Denise (you have just a couple years on me). I am so excited that you and Gregg will soon have even more free time for what you enjoy. I too look forward to retiring in a few more years.

    Love the photo:)

    ReplyDelete