Thursday, July 4, 2013

Happy Fourth of July

To family and friends, to everyone celebrating, I would like to wish you all A Happy 4th of July.  



A poem today from Mary Oliver

Every year
the lilies
are so perfect
I can hardly believe

their lapping light crowding the black,
mid-summer ponds.
Nobody could count all of them--

the muskrats swimming
can reach out and touch 
only so many, they are that
rife and wild.

But what in this world
is perfect?

I bend closer and see
how this one is clearly lopsided--
and that one wears an orange blight--
and this one is a glossy cheek

half nibbled away--
and that one is a slumped purse
full of its own
unstoppable decay.

Still, what I want in my life
is to be willing
to be dazzled--
to cast aside the weight of facts

and maybe even
to float a little
above this difficult world
I want to believe I am looking

into the white fire of a great mystery.
I want to believe that the imperfections are nothing--
that the light is everything--that it is more than the sum 
of each flawed blossom rising and fading.  And I do.

And shouldn't we all?

A poem from House of Light (1990) by Mary Oliver


22 comments:

SquirrelQueen said...

I like that poem and love your beautiful flowers.
Happy Fourth of July!

Elephant's Child said...

Inspirational poem - and beautiful iris. Thank you.

Cloudia said...

Thank you for the friendly good wishes, flowers, and the thoughtful poem, D.




ALOHA from Honolulu
Comfort Spiral
~ > < } } ( ° > <3


Margaret Adamson said...

Happy 4th July. The Iris's are wonderful. Nice Poem. Margaret

Arija said...

A very Happy Independence Day to you all! What a fetching hat Denise. I sincerely hope no fires are started by fireworks although the eastern half of the country should be wet enough for there being no danger.

gigihawaii said...

Happy Independence Day, Denise and Gregg!

Valerie said...

Great poem. It's one of those that makes me want to keep reading. Happy 4th, Denise.

EG CameraGirl said...

Happy Fourth of July!

Jane and Chris said...

Happy 4th July,neighbour!
Jane x

eileeninmd said...

Love the poem, Denise! Happy 4th of July to you and yours!

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

You have a great fourth as well Denise, nice poem!

Marilyn said...

Happy 4th to you and your family! Love the flowers in your header. I have a bank of them in one of my garden, but they haven't started blooming yet.♥♫

Adam said...

happy 4th

Lois Evensen said...

Happy Fourth of July!

B. Rogers, Living in Black Mountain said...

LOvely poem, lovely pictures. Have a happy Independence Day yourself!

jabblog said...

Just lovely, Denise. I hope you and yours have a happy and peaceful celebration.

Mary said...

I love that hat photo! and the flowers are gorgeous! Happy 4th of July!

TexWisGirl said...

what a cute hat!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Happy Fourth~ That's a wonderful poem. So often I see only the beauty of a flower or a field or a sky and then am a little disappointed when I download my picture. I need to learn to love the imperfection. (And thank goodness our brains are wired to see the beauty first!).

Kay said...

Happy 4th to you too

Betsy Adams said...

Hope you had a wonderful 4th of July... God Bless America.

We had rain all day --but we still enjoyed our BBQ and watermelon!!!!!

Hugs,
Betsy

Kay said...

Now THAT is the PERFECT hat for the 4th!!! Hope you had a fabulous day!