Thursday, July 18, 2013

Clifton, VA - part 2

Continuing our walk around Clifton.  I believe this is "The Harris House."   The marker in the garden read, "Built by the Harris Family and later acquired by Thomas Moore of Williamsburg, is one of the two oldest houses in Clifton.  The other being the Beckwith House (which can be found here).  It is original in all detail and contains a sick room with its outside entrance that was so common during that period.

I spotted something akin to my own heart sitting on the porch, a trio of teddy bears.  

What can I say?  I love the cute and cuddly and have quite a collection of my own, starting from when my parents gave me that first one when I was a year old, one that I still have.  The person at this house is a kindred spirit because I suspect you would see a lot more of them if you stepped through the front door.


These were still decked out for the 4th of July.



The house across the street is The Payne House, c. 1884.  

and this is the historical marker outside.  You can enlarge it to read more clearly.


At the bottom of the steps sat a stone dog carrying a basket of flowers.  Methinks he would look good in our garden.  I have seen others in various gardens on our travels and I know where I can buy one.  There was also a forgotten brolly nearby as there had been a few downpours the day before we visited Clifton.


Below you can see the Kincheloe House built in 1900.  Its marker reads, "Huckster George Kinchloe worked the area until the end of Prohibition.  His wife "Aunt Inez" then opened the house to boarders.  Five cent buckets of beer were delivered every Friday night to the thirsty school teachers who resided here.  Later, the left front parlor was an unlicensed watering hole for discreet customers."



The bunny is part of the white picket fence at the Kinchloe House.  




This is one of my favorite houses.

It was a Mercantile Store, c. 1884.  


"This building was built as a General Mercantile Store and through the years has been occupied as a Saloon, Church, Pool Hall, Dry Goods, Bakery, Grocery and Cabinet shop.  The addition was added in 1926 for a Barber Shop.  The building was completely restored in 1965".


The home is now a Bed and Breakfast named "The Canary Cottage" and you can find their web site here.


They have very pretty rooms, you can take a look at those here.



The following home is The Wright House, 1941.

You can enlarge the photo to read the description.



As you can see by all the photos I took, this is also one of my favorites.

We almost missed the little cat.  


This shows part of The Kidwell House and I am not sure why I didn't get better photos.  If you go here and scroll down, you will find a thumbnail at the start of the fifth page.

I don't know what type of car this is.  Gregg told me but I've already forgotten.  I'll ask him later.  All I know is I like the old classic cars and I like this one very much.  (Thanks to Richies at An Arkies Musings, he has identified it as Camaro SS Convertible.  Thanks Richie!)

I've been in here several times over the years.  It is the Clifton General Store, 1930.

"Originally a wood frame building, on March 9th, 1930, a fire broke out in the feed room of the Weaver's General Store and destroyed the store and the adjacent home of the Weaver's.  Within two years the store was rebuilt and has been a general and grocery store ever since.  Today's Clifton Store is open every day and sells everything from sodas and batteries to milk.  The Main Street Pub opened in 2008 in the same building and offers breakfast, lunch and dinner every day, as well as take-out."

And there you go, that's the end of your look at this lovely little town, until the next time we go there.  Hope you've enjoyed it.

18 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Very nice tour of Clifton Va, Denise! My favorite is the house and porch with the teddies. They are all lovely houses. Thanks for sharing your visit. Have a happy day!

Rose ~ from Oz said...

These houses are utterly charming Denise and just bursting with history and interesting stories! What I would give to get inside! :)

gigihawaii said...

What I love most about these old houses is the veranda. I wish I had one myself.

Linda said...

I've loved taking a tour of this beautiful little town with you. There's so much history behind each building and
the citizens must be very proud of their heritage. The woodwork is, to me, so attractive with unique touches which makes each building individual and interesting.

Cathy said...

Oh Denise I am really enjoying these posts on Clifton - those lovely old buidings are something to see aren't they. Glad you didn't miss the Siamese cat.
Take care
Cathy

Cathy @ Still Waters

Jane and Chris said...

Many people think that N American buildings are all modern skyscrapers but we do have some beautiful historic buildings.
Jane x

TexWisGirl said...

such a cool and quaint town! thanks for sharing this bit of american history with us!

Michael (Light-In-A-Box) said...

I love those old houses, historically beautiful! It would be great to own one of those with a large yard, well we can always dream.. : )

Tanya Breese said...

oh my gosh, i love all of your photos of this cute town! i had to mapquest it, it's about 3 hours from me. i must visit!

Kay said...

What a beautiful historical place to visit.

richies said...

I love old houses and the photos were great, but the best photo was of the Camaro SS convertible.

An Arkie's Musings

Debbie said...

such an adorable place, the homes are too cute for words!! reminds me of the homes in martha's vineyard!!

i enjoyed reading the marker signs!!

Marie said...

So much charm! So much history! The yellow and blue house is my favorite.

beyondzephyr.com said...

So many beautiful houses in this fantastic town! What a great place to see..

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Nice tour, Denise, as well as interesting commentary on the places shown. Do you also live in an older home? I too am a fan of teddy bears as you may know from our online names, the Boyd's.

Jesh St Germain said...

The trio of bears takes the cake of all the cute and historic things I see in your post! Have a great weekend!

JJ said...

You have been a busy bee.enjoyed strolling thru your blog whilst listening to the Archers this morning. Remember them?
I love those clapboard houses and they reminded me of those in Key West.
We have had a long heat wave here for nearly a month, it has been fab but too hot for this old girl.
Put this in your diary -
MARLDON APPLEPIE FAIR next Saturday.
JJ

DeniseinVA said...

Thank you all for your very sweet comments. As you know I don't publish anonymous comments but will add them by my own type-written hand if they are not advertising businesses. I received this one this past week and to the nice person who wrote it, I would like to thank you. If you visit again I would love to know your first name :)

"I grew up in Clifton but haven't been back in 14 years since my parents moved elsewhere. I loved this trip down memory lane and seeing the homes again including one that used to belong to a family I used to babysit for all the time."

Thank you again for that lovely comment. I am glad this post brought back some nice memories of when you lived there. It certainly is a beautiful little town and I love reading about its history.