Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Clifton, VA - part 1

We enjoy the town of Clifton and visit it several times a year.  Its history can be found here.  This time, as hot and humid as it was, we felt like a treat so we headed to Peterson's Ice-Cream Depot. 


The last time we visited there was a farm tractor on the corner, this time there was a pretty flower display.  The sunflowers were waving hello.....


as was the Japanese Beetle.  As beetles go he's quite handsome.


Its scientic name is Popillia japonica Newman and was first introduced into the United States in 1916.  
  

Unfortunately he is considered a pest as he is a very greedy little chap and can be destructive not only to crops but to the flowers in your own back yard. 


We walked across the street to Peterson's but I noticed something in the garden next door staring at us from over the fence, on the left of the photo below.


You will recognize him from my present header, an adorable cow sculpture.  In the next shot Gregg is on the left-hand side taking his own photos.


I couldn't stop my shutter finger....


but....


he was a willing poser.


A pretty hibiscus was one of the several I found in a planter at the side of the entrance.


Gregg who had been hanging back taking photos can be seen standing at the beginning of the 'alley'.


Peterson's home page can be found here.  It is very popular and there were at least 30 people waiting in line.  However, the line goes quickly.  


I always enjoy looking at the different flavors.  


We shared the Jasien's Almond Joy Sundae which we enjoyed in the outside eating area at the back.  


One last shot of our friendly cow and we continued our walk up the street.


This is the house where he lives.


All the houses are privately owned and most have some historical significance.  If you want to live in Clifton I am assuming it goes with the territory as there are annual house tours.  When I first moved here a friend and I bought tickets and it was very interesting being able to see the inside of these lovely old homes.  The owners who volunteer to an open-house greeted us at the door and were very gracious as they gave us a tour, and were obviously very proud of where they lived.  The last tour was on May 16th, 2013.


You can see a list of these homes here


Clifton Baptist Church


We take photos of the church every time we come to Clifton.






Part 2 will be in the next post.

16 comments:

Kay said...

What a lovely, quaint town. Your ice cream picture really caught my eye and made my mouth water. Yummm... And it's so warm over here.

Rose ~ from Oz said...

Now I know why you visit this amazing town several times a year and its not just for the architectural delights! Ice-cream is my downfall so I'm afraid I would wish to move there!

Cloudia said...

Quite enjoyable. But thanks especially for the memory of japanese beetles in my hand as a child growing up back east!


ALOHA from Honolulu
Comfort Spiral
~ > < } } ( ° > <3

eileeninmd said...

It is a pretty town, love the flowers and the cute moo cow. The ice cream looks delicious. Stay cool and have a great day!

Valerie said...

Right now a Frog Hill Float would go down well with me. Love the pictures of the town, well worth visiting methinks.

Kerri said...

Looks like a great place to visit!
and that ice creams looks YUM!

TexWisGirl said...

i still love that cow. :) what a cute little town! that multi-layered day lily is beautiful, too!

ZielonaMila said...

Fantastic photos, beautiful summer pictures:) Regards

Lois Evensen said...

Thank you for the tour. That ice cream sure looks good!

gigihawaii said...

I love ice cream sundaes, too. Yours looked scrumptious, Denise. Those houses look fine, but I sure would hate to climb 3 floor stairs!

Debbie said...

what a "sweet" spot and such a cute town!!

love the hibiscus!!

George said...

Clifton looks like a wonderful town to visit. I love the cow, and the ice cream would sure hit the spot on a hot day like today. I can't say I'm especially fond of Japanese Beetles, as they enjoy munching on roses entire too much as far as I'm concerned.

Linda said...

Hi Denise, what a delightful town! I can see why you love it so much. Thank you so much for this tour, I absolutely love your photos!

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Clifton is certainly a nice place with attractive historic homes and beautiful flowers. That is great but what really sold me was the Sundae.

Linda said...

Great set of photos! Love the blooms. I used to drive through Clifton fairly often when I lived in Northern Virginia. Charming little town!

Marie said...

LOVE the church! Clifton looks like a wonderful place to visit. How I miss Virginia! :-( Well, loved the flowers and the cow and the big ice cream cone too! :-) Great post. Glad you enjoyed the Gourd Ceremony post. I am really sorry I didn't comment back before now. There's been a lot going on at this end. :-) Have an awesome weekend!