Tuesday, July 16, 2013

An American Robin and Bluebirds

The American Robin on the left is one I took photos of in this post here.  You can click on the link if you missed that post and would like see my photos.   


We were walking around the vegetable garden at one of our favorite local spots.   The vegetables are protected from local wildlife (except for birds) by a tall chicken-wire type fence.  When we saw birds we slowly made our way around.


Much to my delight we came across a Bluebird family taking a moment to rest.  Several of them allowed me to take a few photos before flying off into the trees.


Why am I so delighted?  This is my first sighting ever of a Bluebird.  I have only seen their photographs in books and on other blogs.  It made my day to be able to observe several of them.

You can click here to learn more about the Bluebird and here for the American Robin.

~~~~~~~~

Today I am linking with Michelle's Nature Notes and Stewart's Wild Bird Wednesday.   Their buttons are on my side-bar.  Thank you Michelle and Stewart for hosting these two great memes.



26 comments:

ladyfi said...

What delightful shots!

Mascha said...

Lovely post - I like birds :-)
And I'am in amazement, which birds are all living in Virginia. It's a famous world of birds and plants you have...

And an curious cow I see on your haeder fotos;-)

Cloudia said...

Happiness is finding you, D



ALOHA from Honolulu
Comfort Spiral
~ > < } } ( ° > <3

diane b said...

It is a pretty bird. Blue is my favourite colour. It is exciting to see a bird for the first time in real life

eileeninmd said...

Great photos and congrats on your first bluebird sighting. They are one of my favorite birds. Love to see the young with their dotted chest. Have a happy day!

Rhodesia said...

I have never seen a bluebird either as we do not get them here as far as I know. Well done Diane

Valerie said...

Remember that song... 'There'll be bluebirds over the white cliffs of Dover'?

As a child I yearned to see a bluebird but so-called experts said there was no such thing as a blue bird. Thank you, Denise, for disproving that theory.

gigihawaii said...

Bluebirds are delightful. I have never seen one in person here in Hawaii or abroad.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I've never noticed a blue bird around here -- just blue jays, but I know that are seen in the area. great capture.

Kerri said...

congrats on seeing these lovely blue beauties!!!

Carver said...

Delightful shots. I love the bluebird shot.

TexWisGirl said...

how great! you got to see adults and babies in one shot!!!

Sarah~Magnolia Surprise said...

The bluebirds are so pretty! It was nice of them to accommodate your photography!
Thanks for your visit to my blog!

Mary said...

The Bluebirds are so pretty. I love seeing them.

Out on the prairie said...

I have put out over 100 bluebird houses in the last 5 years and enjoy when I get to see them being used.What charming shots.

Betsy Adams said...

Love Bluebirds --but you already know that... ha ha... Great group of photos, Denise.

Hugs,
Betsy

Rose ~ from Oz said...

How obliging of them to stay put for you Denise!! I can imagine your delight! Sweet and colourful birds they are.
Your header brought a smile to my face!

A Brit in Tennessee said...

I love Bluebirds, such sweet, gentle birds....not to mention their gorgeous blue plumage.
Wonderful shots Denise !
~Jo

Sandy Carlson said...

The robin is my favorite bird. I admire your photography.

Jana Last said...

How fun! I'm not sure I've ever seen a blue bird in our area. I don't think they are very common around here unfortunately.

Kay said...

I saw my first bluebird in Yellowstone two years ago and was enchanted. Their blue color was so spectacular. Your bluebird has a red breast, but I can't remember if the one we saw had one. They are so beautiful.

Linda said...

You must have been delighted to see the bluebird and capture it on camera, Denise.

Jennifer A. Jilks said...

I photographed my first bluebird yesterday!
Cheers from Cottage Country!

Rambling Woods said...

Oh I would be thrilled to see one. How lucky you are Denise..they are wonderful...Michelle

Carole M. said...

fabulous to see the bluebirds

Pat said...

Bluebirds are so pretty. Nice to see the adult and youngster!