Thursday, June 27, 2013

The Whirlpool, Niagara Falls

When we were leaving Niagara Falls we decided to make a quick stop at a look-out point overlooking the Whirlpool on the Niagara River.  We were still on the Canadian side and looking across to the US.  We arrived at a time that a cable car was giving passengers a birds-eye view of the whirlpool.  No we didn't take the ride but it will be on our list of things to do when we go next time.  Truthfully we did not know of its existence but it is only about five miles down from Niagara Falls.


 The cable car got very close but did not dock.  It stopped for a little while and then made its way back to the US side.  No problems with getting through customs.  I think there is also a cable car on the Canadian side as you can see the two sets of cables.  


From a page on line found here I learned that the whirlpool is about 120 feet deep and 1000 feet across.  It circulates counterclockwise creating one of the largest natural whirlpools in the world.  The rotation is caused by the Niagara River taking a right turn, causing the water to rotate.  


It is also a great place for salmon fishing because fishermen can often be seen fishing at the whirlpool's edge.  Salmon spawn yearly up the Niagara River, passing through the whirlpool on their way to their spawning grounds.  The Whirpool serves as a rest area for the Salmon.  All I can say is you've got to know what you're doing and you've got to love your fishing!  


This page here gives you more information on the Whirlpool Aero Car.  It was designed by a Spanish engineer, Leonardo Torres Quevedo and has been operating since 1916. 


More information on the whirlpool here and just for a matter of interesting there is a great page on geological information on Niagara Falls here.....



and great information about the Niagara River here.

28 comments:

  1. These are great Denise. (I was to nervous to ride this when we were there years ago)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah that cool older tech holds UP!
    No computers or tiny plastic parts.



    ALOHA from Honolulu
    Comfort Spiral
    ~ > < } } ( ° > <3
    > < } } ( ° >

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice photos ! Looks like fun ! Thanks for sharing ! Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aha! I know exactly where you were!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's quite an impressive whirlpool. Would be fun to ride over it in the cable car.
    Love you butterfly header, Denise!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The whirlpool really is amazing. I have never seen one that size. What a pity we did not know about it when we were there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Denise ....Wellll now I'm not so sure about getting me on that thing!!
    I'm pretty chicken when it comes to heights,soooo ; )!!
    Great shots,and amazing facts about the whirlpool !
    I did not know that!!
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  8. The whirlpool is incredible - and dangerous I imagine. Lovely to watch though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been travelling in this car once. :) Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Denise his is rally a great way to get up close and personal to the whirlpool. I would love to do this. Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  11. I sure is an amazing whirlpool. It is actually quite frightening. I don't think I would like to have a ride in the cable car.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh man....there's not a chance in you know where that I'd ever do that. I'm not really good with heights unless there's a safety rail of sorts. I couldn't do the cable car thing. Especially over that whirlpool. Although, it would bring wonderful photos. And blog fodder. Last time I was in Niagra Falls was 1965. Eons ago. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh wow.... I adore that header, Denise. You must have a terrific programme to achieve that.

    Fantastic photographs, and I love the whirlpool. That's one place I would like to have visited. Ah well, I can dream, can't I?


    Do let me know if the link is incorrect.

    href=http://allsortsforallsorts.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/theres-mouse-in-house.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely shots of the whirlpool and the cable cars, Denise. Not sure I would be able to venture into one of them though. A x

    ReplyDelete
  15. an "open" car....how exciting??

    amazing pictures, this is a must do next time!!

    have a wonderful weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would love to ride that cable car over the whirlpool. What an experience that would be.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Denise cool shots of the whirlpool and cable car! My hubby would love to see this! Great shots!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Somehow i dont think i would like that cable car very much. As safe as it is.......No thanks !!

    ReplyDelete
  19. How lucky you were that the car was crossing the river. I always eem to be there when the car is one side or the other.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am enjoying your trip more than I can say - and the header? clever girl!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for the trip to Niagara Denise, I'll have to put that on my bucket list now :).

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great shots, it must be something quite unique to observe!
    God bless you!
    Cezar

    ReplyDelete
  23. We have driven by / stopped at The Whirlpool numerous times. We have yet to ride the cable car over The Whirlpool. One day we will!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh yae! I've been on that car over the whirlpool. What fun to see this!

    ReplyDelete
  25. The waters seem to look peaceful in the pictures. It would be a nice time to go for a cruise if that is the tide. If you are in for an adventure, corryvreckan boat trips would really be awesome for you.

    ReplyDelete