Tuesday, June 25, 2013

The Butterfly Conservatory at Niagara Falls - Part 2

I had lots of butterfly photos to share from the Butterfly Conservatory, and have two other posts which you can see here and here if you missed them.  You can also click here to go to the conservatory's home page.  I am also linking up with Michelle's Nature Notes.  Click on her button to see other amazing things in nature from around the world, and thank you Michelle for hosting such a wonderful meme.





I identify the butterflies when I can.  If they aren't ID'd then you know I have tried my hardest.  I have a couple of books which I pour through continuously.  I also look online.  This is a big butterfly called a "Denise".  She can be found usually with an enormous smile on her face around other butterflies, the biggest smile she has is one around another big butterfly called a "Gregg".   He's the darling of all butterflies and they travel in pairs usually passing a big black box between them at various intervals.


You will notice that this photo is being used for my present header shot.  The beauty on the right is the Cairns Birdwing Butterfly.   The one on the left is the Postman (Heliconius melpomene).


The same butterfly - Cairns Birdwing - and the Zebra Heliconian on the right.


Still as yet unidentified.  A Swallowtail of some kind.


Zebra Heliconian


Another view of a Cairns Birdwing Butterfly


Zebra Longwing


Several Owl Butterflies enjoying a plate of sliced oranges and bananas.


A close-up of the Owl Butterfly.  What I always find fascinating is its proboscis which you can see drinking the juice from the orange.  When it is resting that same proboscis is wound up like a spring.


The same butterfly but this time it has a friend on the left.   From looking at similar butterflies I think this is a Grey Variable Cracker


I have searched and searched but haven't found this one yet.


A Leopard Lacewing


Orange Julia Butterfly


Golden Heliconid (Heliconius hecalet)


Rice Paper Butterfly (also known as  a White Tree Nymph)  Idea Luconoe


Here's the other big butterfly I mentioned at the beginning of my post.  A smaller butterfly decided to land on top of his head for a chat.  The larger one is called a "Gregg".  Don't know what the smaller one on top of his head  is called.


Emerald Swallowtail


Yet to be identified


This one also.


If I have misidentified any of these beautiful creatures, please let me know.  I am a novice at so many things, identifying butterflies is one of them.

22 comments:

lui said...

Haha Denise what humor!

Okay, the unnamed one is probably called "lui" ;-)

TexWisGirl said...

fabulous array! loved the green swallowtail! cute big butterflies, too. :)

jabblog said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous shots, Denise. Butterflies are so incredibly fascinating - often such short lives as butterflies. There must be a purpose . . .

Marilyn said...

The two "biggest" butterflies must be of the flutterby variety! Taking our first graders to the Butterfly Pavilion near Denver was the best field trip! Maybe I should return because a new camera was delivered today! Sarah and Alex said it is a retirement gift-one that has more features than my phone! It's difficult to select a favorite, but the emerald swallowtail and zebras might be mine.♥♫

eileeninmd said...

Denise, awesome photos of all the butterflies. I love the shot of Gregg with the butterfly on his head, very cute! Thanks for sharing, have a happy week!

Shaun Gibbs said...

Those are some bright and spectacular spices there. I had some images from a butterfly house. One smuggled itself into my hood and done its great escape in the car when I removed my coat. My better half screamed so hard even the air in the tyres nearly upped and left...

Country Gal said...

Fantastic photos ! I love butterfly's and yet have never been to the conservatory we have over this way in Hamilton Ontario . Thanks for sharing . Have a good day !

Roy Norris said...

I always thought you were an English Rose, not a butterfly.{:))

Linda Gross said...

haha The photograph of the butterfly on Gregg's head reminds me of the butterfly that lighted on Bob's head, when we were at the Butterfly Conservatory.

Rambling Woods said...

Wow... I loved seeing all the butterfly and friends photos... I need to make a trip to this... It probably is an hour away.... Michelle

Adam said...

pretty butterflies

gigihawaii said...

You and Gregg had a ball at that butterfly garden. Loved the photo of Gregg. So funny.

Susan said...

The "The Butterfly Conservatory at Niagara Falls is a wonderful place to visit. I am fortunate to have been there twice. Enjoyed seeing your photos of these beautiful butterflies.

Rajesh said...

Beautiful shots of colorful butterflies.

Kay said...

Gracious! All these shots are fabulous, but I confess the one with Gregg is my favorite.

Elephant's Child said...

Another glorious post.
The Orange Julia reminded me of our Prime Minister, Julia Gillard, who is a red head. The butterfly is more beautiful though.

i beati said...

so much fun

fredamans said...

Beautiful collection!

MyMaracas said...

These are spectacular, especially that first one where you caught the action in midair. And I had to laugh at that one that landed on Gregg's head.

Carver said...

Wow, great shots of the different beautiful butterflies.

Minoru Saito said...

 Hi! Stunning beautiful place! Nice butterfly shots. I enjoyed theseyour posts very much.

Charlene said...

Wow, they're all so lovely and marvelously captured! I love their colors too.