Sunday, June 23, 2013

The Butterfly Conservatory at Niagara Falls - Part 1

I have a lot of butterfly photos, more than enough to make two posts.  When we entered the conservatory we encountered more butterflies than we have ever seen in any other and we have visited many over the years.  You had to be very careful where you stepped because on occasion there were even some resting at our feet.  It was an incredible experience.  Of course I made a post of one very special butterfly which you can see here if you missed it.  A new species called "Daddy's Little Butterfly".  


I was surprised to see the Grecian statue inside but it had a house-guest which you can see below.
Cracker, Variable - Hamadryas feronia

She didn't seem to mind.   There was a lot of activity going on around her and in every other corner of the conservatory.



A male Great Eggfly (Hypolimnas bolina).

Julia (Dryas julia)

I wasn't able to find out what this one was.  Any ideas?


Golden Heliconid (Heliconius hecalet)

The Blue Morpho is a butterfly when followed around did not stop anywhere.  I was trying to get the other side of its wings and the only time it stopped this is the side it showed.  

Black Swallowtail.  I couldn't find out much about this one.  Most seem to have some sort of pattern but wasn't able to identify it exactly.



The butterfly above and below is Postman (Heliconius melpomene)

One of the pretty blooms, very tropical looking.  I would have enjoyed seeing it in its opened form.

Atala - Eumaeus atala

Red Lacewing - Cethosia biblis


Rice Paper Butterfly (also known as  a White Tree Nymph)  Idea Luconoe



The photo above and below are of the same butterfly.  It is the Tiger Mimic Queen.


That's it for this post on butterflies.  I'll put together Part 2 in a day or so.  If you go here this page at Wikipedia will tell you all about butterflies.


I came around the corner and found a painted turtle in a small pond.
 That's it for now.

24 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

such beauties. :)

Cloudia said...

turtles only look unimpressed with the beauty!

ALOHA from Honolulu
Comfort Spiral
~ > < } } ( ° > <3

Carol said...

What a beautiful post! I found you via Elephant's Child, and very pleased I made the trip!

helen tilston said...

What a delightful time you had and your images are wonderful. I must go visit this Conservatory. I can just imagine how joyful it is

Helenxx

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Butterflies are just so interesting to me because they are so fragile looking and diverse.

Arija said...

What an experience to have so many winged wonders fluttering around you. Thank you for sharing them.

Adam said...

great butterflies

Linda said...

Beautiful photos, Denise. Looking forward to seeing some more of your visit to see so many lovely butterflies,

Elephant's Child said...

They are simply beautiful. Thank you so very much.

eileeninmd said...

What a neat place to visit, I love all the butterflies. Great post, Denise!

Valerie said...

Denise, your new header pic is an absolute winner.

I confess I know very little about butterflies yet I love to see them. Perhaps I should buy a butterfly book.

Indrani said...

Wow! You have an amazing collection now.

Jane and Chris said...

It's a lovely place to while away some time...and when the butterflies land on you ,it's magical!
Jane x

B. Rogers, Living in Black Mountain said...

What a bunch of beauties, and you captured them magically too!

Linley S said...

Fantastic butterfly pics Denise. It would be a magical place to visit.

gigihawaii said...

What incredible photos, Denise!!! I enjoyed this post so much. Thank you!

Mary said...

So beautiful butterflies! So lovely photos! My favorit is the Postman! ;)

Betty Manousos said...

hi denise- what gorgeous shots of the butterfly!
what a beautiful place to visit-love your delightful post!

hope you enjoy your week~

xx

ladyfi said...

What stunning shots!

Don Wood said...

Denise I am envious they all look so beautiful, I haven't seen may Butterflies this year but then I have not been out much this year. Great post XXX Don

diane b said...

That is such a varied collection of butterflies and they are all beautiful.

Linda Gross said...

We visited the Butterfly Conservatory a few years ago. Great photos!

Kay said...

I swear those butterflies just loved posing for you.

ladyfi said...

How did you get them to pose? Beautiful!