Thursday, May 16, 2013

Skywatch Friday - Season 6, Episode 45

I took a few photos on the way home last Sunday.  Our route usually has us taking the  Hampton-Roads Tunnel.  You can read about the tunnel here.


I guess the skies look so washed out in this photo because I was shooting into the sun as we entered the tunnel.



It doesn't seem long that we are under the water.

Soon we literally see the light at the end of the tunnel.   


Yes I know.....but there you go.


Always glad to see the sky...


and what a pretty sky it was.  Below is the Hampton Coliseum which you can read about here.  It looks festive at night when it's all lit up.


The skies have been overcast of late. The further north we got they started to lighten up, and once we got past Williamsburg even more so.


This is a pretty church in Rappahannock.   On Sundays the freeway gets very congested as people head back from the beaches.  We always check before starting out as around the start of May to the end of the summer we more often than not take the back road when visiting.  We travel through countryside and is a longer route in miles. but we make more headway when you compare the time we would have to spend stuck in traffic.

(We had no problem going down as we started early and got there for breakfast.  Not too far from our destination, for some strange reason our car's nose always heads into the Krispy Kreme parking lot. This after rolling through Starbucks next door!  Happy are we to be able to arrive with a box of doughnuts to share with our family and coffee if wanted.  Gregg doesn't drink coffee but he enjoys their Sweetened Black Tea with Lemonade.)


Finally as the sun is going down we arrive in our neighborhood and two minutes later are
home.  We lucked out with the weather and followed those pretty skies most of the way.



~~~~~~~

My thanks to YogiSandy and Sylvia who are our hosts at SkyWatch Friday.  Please click here to visit other sky watchers.


Happy SkyWatch Friday!

22 comments:

gigihawaii said...

How nice to see Virginia through your lens!

Cezar and Léia said...

Dear Denise,
Your pictures inside the tunnel are great and I like a lot the church picture as well!
Thanks for sharing!
Léia

TexWisGirl said...

fresh krispy kremes! yum!

Betsy Adams said...

Thanks for taking us on your little trip with you. I would hate traffic (since we live in a small town) these days--and would always take the back routes... But--I know that it's longer.

Sounds like you had a nice day with the family --and I'm sure they enjoyed the do-nuts and coffee/tea.

Hugs,
Betsy

HansHB said...

Nice!
Happy SWF to you!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Lovely skies and those are good tunnel shots...I always try to get the perfect one and seldom succeed at all.

eileeninmd said...

Denise, I enjoyed your roadtrip. Oh, I love Krispy Kremes, yummy! Thanks for sharing, happy skywatching!

Carletta said...

Ah Denise, this was like taking me back to my second home. We traveled through that tunnel for well over 30 years.
When we visit our daughter now I don't get to see the Coliseum at night anymore. It really is lovely at night.
Thanks for memories!
Great shots!

EG CameraGirl said...

It appears the day ended beautifully!

A Creative Harbor said...

Wonderful variety of fabulous shots ~ Wow! ^_^

lina@womens perspectives said...

Awesome tunnel. Love the cloudy sky!

Lew said...

Beautiful drive you had! Glad the skies posed nicely for this week's Sky Watch.

Karen said...

I love overcast skies!

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Hey, thanks for taking us along for the road trip.

George said...

I enjoyed tagging along with you on your trip. You got some very interesting sky photos. I also like your pictures taken inside the tunnel.

Linda said...

Great shot inside the tunnel! Glad the famous traffic was not jammed up.

Pauline said...

Thanks for the pic of the church, I love little churches so feel I really was along for the trip. A very enjoyable trip.

Steffi said...

Very beautiful photos for SWF,thank you for sharing!Enjoy your weekend!

Elephant's Child said...

Gorgeous - though you can keep the tunnel. I find them difficult. The light at the end of it would have me heaving a sigh of relief every time.

Liz said...

Beautiful shots! Happy sky watching.

My sky.

~✽Mumsy✽~ said...

You have so many stunning shots! They are amazing to see..

DeniseinVA said...

Thank you for visiting and leaving lovely comments. Wishing you all a great weekend!