Friday, May 10, 2013

CAMERA CRITTERS

It has been raining heavily on and off over the last 48 hours, though I see the sun peeking through right now.  Before all that liquid sunshine we had some really beautiful days, and they just begged us to get out and enjoy the good weather.  These were all the critters we saw on our last walk.

There were several dragonflies hovering, the first ones I have seen this year.

Mr. Canada Goose enjoying the shade.  Mrs. Canada Goose was nearby.

The Tadpoles were very active.  These were only a few I caught in this photo.  There were hundreds more.

I came across a curious looking beetle along the path.  That yellow square on its body was what drew me to it in the first place.  As a matter of fact there were several of them.  

We met up with these friendly dogs and their equally friendly human companions.  The dogs were all so sweet and begged for a fuss, but of course we asked if that was okay first.  The Basset Hound bringing up the rear did not want to be left out of the ear tickles and back scratches.

This sweet lady we met  later on.   She looked hot and thirsty and it seemed she had recently been taking a dip in the nearby stream.

These two were off on their own paddling expedition far away from any other ducks.

If you look closely at this photo you can see the duck's head under water.  Something must be really tasty down there.

We didn't see any frogs except for this one in a display case in the visitors center.  This is an American Bullfrog according to the identifying card (Lithobates catesbeianus), our largest native frog.

I hesitated a little before adding the snakes as I realize they are not everyone's cup of tea.  However, I have always had a fascination for reptiles and I really don't mind them.  After all, even snakes have a part to play in nature's plan.  They truly cannot help creeping people out and they do a lot of good for our ecology.  The photo below shows a Corn Snake (Pantherophis guttatus) and the name Corn Snake refers to the splotched pattern on its belly which resembles Indian maize.  Some believe their name comes from the fact that they are often found in corn fields where they search for rodent prey.   I read the information from the identifying card nearby.

Next a Northern Copperhead (Agkistrodon contortrix mokasen).  Their range is from Massachusetts through upper Georgia and west to Tennessee.  It is the only venomous snake in Fairfax County.

Now to get outside where there are several bird feeders.  I was only able to get one shot of a Grey-tufted Titmouse taking off.  There weren't too many birds around at that time of the day.

One last shot of a bee hovering over the Dogwoods.

A fun day for seeing all kinds of critters.

~~~~~~~

Thank you Misty for hosting one of my favorite memes, and please click here to visit other interesting critters from all over the world.

Camera Critters

23 comments:

  1. Wow! Lots of fun critters! I love the tadpoles! We use to catch them as children and the release them again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. saw a copperhead here just his week. very similar to that one. :)

    tadpoles always make me smile. love the happy pups.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Denise...Well you sure got to see and photograph a good variety I especially like the Mallard with it's bill in the mud!!
    I would pass on the snake..I can't even look at pictures of them eeeks!!
    Garter Snakes I do have to put up with..as long as I know where they are, if not the whole neighborhood will hear me scream!!
    Have a lovely weekend!!
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  4. Denise, what a great variety of critters. I do tend to love the doggies and the birds most of all. Cute shots of the dogs! And I love the dragonfly shot, great capture. Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can tell you enjoy photography. These are excellent captures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome photos ! I love going on walks like that and taking lots of photos of all kinds of things ! Thanks for sharing . Have a good evening !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tadpoles remind me of my childhood in northern Wisconsin. It's a good memory. And, the beetle - well, I'm not a bug person, but even that handsome fell would have held my attention for a moment. Love the snakes though I would keep a healthy distance from the Copperhead.

    Nice collection of pictures to share with us on your walk about.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I DO love your critter posts especially.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting day, Denise, but I am with Grammie G in that I can easily avoid seeing snakes even in captivity.enjoy your Mother's Day weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great shots I looked them over a few times.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Denise, you prepared a great selection of images for this theme, I love the dogs and ducks!
    Léia

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful day - but like grammie g, I am not good about snakes. We had one which lived under our front steps (all snakes are protected here) and I only used the back door for about ten months of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really like the in flight dragonfly - I tried (and failed) to get some dragons this summer - next year perhaps?

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely selection of critters. Mr Canada Goose looks very comfortable in the cool, inviting shade.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great shots and I love the variety of critters you photographed.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love all the different critters.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lots of critters! Love the ducks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a beautiful post! Loved your wanders! Really loved the wet white dog but may just slip quietly by the snake!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Really neat post. LOVED the dragonfly and waterlily picture, and also the beetle and those beautiful dogwoods.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful set of images. I like that first shot.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great group of critters!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wonderful walk! I feel the same as you do about the snakes...The dogs are fun and I love that you got pictures of dragonflies and tadpoles. That is a great camera (and more importantly a great camera operator!)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful photos. Wonderfully Captured.

    ReplyDelete