Tuesday, May 28, 2013

A walk around our favorite garden - Part 1

It is a beautiful morning here in Virginia.  I am going out for a walk with friends and then we're getting together at one of their houses for lunch.  I have known them ever since I have lived here, over 20 years, ever since our kids were in the same class together.  Of course the children are all grown up now and most are married, but us moms still get together regularly and its fun to find out how our kids are doing.  They were always at one of our houses and we got to know them pretty well, practically adopted them as honored family members.    

But now for today's post which thankfully I wrote a few days ago as today is going to be a busy one.  

As I mentioned earlier, Gregg and I were able to go to our favorite walkabout place last week.  We didn't leave the house until the late part of the afternoon, which was an ideal time really because it had been a hot, muggy kind of a day, the first we have had this year so far.  Now we are back to cooler temperatures which is very strange for this time of the year.  Today (I wrote this post on the 25th) it was cool and very windy but that is now.  Last Wednesday the weather was balmy.   The following is Gregg's photo of his hat on the arm of one of the chairs next to the pond, a particularly favorite spot of ours.   We realized when we got to the garden that we ought to have some head covering and treated ourselves to a couple of baseball caps from the gift shop....


and here we are wearing them, courtesy of Gregg's cell phone, and a little directing by me Gregg added.  It was our third try at a self-portrait and he had cut his face out of the picture the first two times.  "I think you need to tilt the phone a little bit this way,  little more, too far...." and keeping fingers crossed that third time's the charm, "you've got it!"  Way too close but what the heck.  Next time we'll have to try and remember our tripod.


The flowers planted here are absolutely gorgeous.  On our last visit the cherry blossoms were blooming, so were the daffodils and lots of other spring flowers.  This time I was more interested in the roses as I missed their peak last year.  


Wouldn't you know it a lot of them were faded, the petals were falling off some, but I think I got a few pretty ones.  I love roses.  They were my Mother's favorite flower.  Dad grew them in their garden, Mum would pick them out at the flower nursery and he would plant them in 'just the right spot'.  "No, not there, a little to the right, well, that's a bit too far away from.....",
"Maybe to the right of the sweet peas."  "Yes, that's just right."

Well, there you go, I am my Mother's child after all, says I with a smile on my face.


I loved looking at all the flowers at Meadowlark as we walked along.....


and the purple is one I took a photo of ages ago but have since forgotten its name, lavender yes?  That little tuft on the top always throws me.  I am still looking for what the yellow flowers are.  They remind me of a rather sunny Queen Anne's Lace except the wrong color of course.  There were several I couldn't identify and I looked carefully for identifying markers.  If they were totally obscured under the bushes I wasn't going to stick my hand down there and look around.  Yes, I am a great gardener - not really but I wish - and I am fascinated by snakes and bugs, but I don't want to be shaking hands with them without a good pair of thick gardening gloves.

(Added note: thanks to Marilyn, TexWisGirl and Beatrice P. Boyd, I have identified the yellow plant as Yarrow.  I looked it up and there are different types but from a page I visited here, it looks like this is a Fern Leaf Yarrow.  If you click on the link you can read more.

Also the Lavender is Spanish Lavender which was cultivated in America as far back as 1735.  It is native to the western Mediterranean, primarily the Pyrenees and other mountains in northern Spain. There is an article written here.)


I have been looking at this sundial since we first discovered the garden.  There are different flowers planted around it every year, always giving it a fresh look.


The butterfly garden is also a favorite stop but there were none today....


not unless you counted this very pretty stained-glass-style butterfly ornament.  I wouldn't mind that in our own garden.


These white flowers were everywhere.


Some more pretties....


and then not too far off the walking path we came across the ever present Canada Geese whose numbers didn't seem too overwhelming.


However, this one objected to me walking along the path next to his family.  He hissed a bit and bared his tongue.  I'm not that close, I used the zoom on my camera and I didn't hang around too long, taking the photo on the fly.


We saw Chipmunks everywhere, either scurrying up tree trunks such as this one, or darting across the pathways in front of us.


I told him his cousins at home said hi.


He told me to tell him hi back.


That's the end of Part 1.  Part 2 will be be shown soon.

26 comments:

  1. Creature closeups made our day!



    ALOHA from Honolulu
    Comfort Spiral
    ~ > < } } ( ° > <3
    > < } } ( ° >

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a magical place. Thank you so much - and I love the happy smiles on your faces in the self portrait.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can understand why you love this garden with wild life, wild flowers and informal planting. The roses are very pretty. I think the yellow flower might be tansy.
    Hope you have some more good weather for walking in your favourite places.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely place and a wonderful photo opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All the gardens I see are so far ahead of mine! The yellow plant could be some variety in the yarrow family. And you are correct about the lavender, but, I can't tell you which kind. I just know it is not hardy in my zone as I've tried to grow it. I do enjoy your work in sharing this garden.♥♫

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful place, and right on your doorstep! The chipmunk looks like a youngster,especially the close up shot...a cutie!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful place, such views always enrapture:) Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  8. the chippy is adorable!

    i think the yellow flowers are yarrow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. An awesome garden to hang out in, it must have smelled just lovely on such a nice afternoon. We've had our little hot spell (a brief spring) & now are moving towards wet season. I hope it does not cool off to much for my little garden! : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm strolling with you and I loved it !!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha. Your commentary amused me. What a beautiful garden!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful shots of the garden and I love the shot of you and Gregg.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A very beautiful place. And the chipmunk is really cute :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Quite a nice self portrait in your colorful caps, Denise. The yellow flower could be yarrow, which sort of resembles Queen Anne's lace.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Denise, thanks for the lovely tour of the gardens. The roses are lovely. The flowers are all gorgeous. And I love the cute chipper. I think the shot of you and Gregg is a keeper, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  16. A very beautiful garden here.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This garden is a dream, what a beautiful place!Your pictures are adorable!
    Léia

    ReplyDelete
  18. what a beautiful garden!
    love the roses.

    always a delight to pop by your lovely spot for a visit!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks like a good time was had by all my friend, great shots

    ReplyDelete
  20. That was the greatest walk! I love the place. Have to laugh at the hats (not at your picture) but just that we have a terrible habit of forgetting to take hats when we go out to explore ...and we have way way too much of a collection because of that.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you for this wonderful and beautiful post! It's a feast for the eyes!
    Mary
    http://anhistoricallady.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you friends, always fun to read your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This post is so spectacular. The happy couple, those cool caps, the pink roses, the armillary surrounded by the white flowers. In fact, I have an armillary tucked away in the corner of my backyard. I'm thinking that I may just move it out in front.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the picture of you and Gregg! I had to look twice at the butterfly. I thought it was real the first time I looked at it!

    ReplyDelete