Saturday, April 27, 2013

TODAY'S FLOWERS #245

The link to Today's Flowers should be open by now.  We start a new link each Saturday morning at 12.15 a.m. Eastern Time (US).  This is so that our overseas friends can share earlier if they wish.  To see beautiful blooms from around the world you can click here.

Our latest walk, around Cabell's Mill, which is across the road from Walney Pond.   We come here often throughout the year as it is only about ten minutes by car, if that.     I read the following online here and there is more information here.

"Built between 1753 and 1759, Cabell's Mill operated until 1916, when it was purchased by Ellanor C. Lawrence and converted into a guest house.  Over the years since it has hosted many Washington dignitaries, including Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt.  In 1971 Fairfax County acquired the property and converted it into Ellanor C. Lawrence Park."



My interest today was in the Dogwood trees.  This one in particular I enjoy as there is a bench where you can sit and look up through the branches.  The sky was a real pretty blue.


I like how the branches of the Dogwood tend to spread out in tendrils, a filigree almost.


The Dogwood is Virginia's State Flower.  They are a lovely addition to any garden but my favorites are the ones I find in the wild.  In the Spring they can be seen next to the much larger forest trees.


 It is a small tree, usually 10 to 20 feet tall and 4 to 6 inches in diameter.  Occasionally it will reach much higher, up to 40 feet with a trunk diameter of 12 to 18 inches.


What people think of as the 'flowers' of dogwood are actually four large, white (sometimes pink) petal-like bracts that are notched at the end.  The true flower is an inconspicuous, greenish white or yellowish compact head in the center of the more showy bracts.


The bright red, oval fruit (a drupe) is born in tight clusters.  It ripens in October.   The leaves are opposite and 3 to 5 inches long.  The veins curve like a bow and tend to parallel the margin of the leaves.


The bark of flowering dogwood is dark-brown, dividing into small scaly blocks on older trees.  The brown to red wood is hard, heavy, strong and very close grained.  It is used for textile shuttles and spools and for handles and mallets.

Much nicer to think of them growing in the meadows and among the forest trees and yes, we're thinking of planting one in our garden.

~~~~~~

(A message that will be repeated every week.)

I wish to show my appreciation for all the participants in the previous week's Today's Flowers Meme, by sharing their links here.  I always try hard not to make any mistakes but please let me know if there are any, the same if I have missed anyone.  I do make the occasional mistake and I have already been made aware of one or two.  Believe me, I appreciate it as I like to get things correct.  The links are in the order they were received on the home page.  Consequently, this list won't be alphabetical.  Clicking on the names will take you to their blogs.


With my thanks to last week's participants who were:























~~~~~~

Today's Flowers was created by our good friend Luiz Santilli, Jr.




TF teamPupo - Sandy Carlson - Denise


If anyone would like to be a guest and share photos on our home page, details can be found at the top of Today's Flowers web site, which you will find here.

                                                

I am also linking up with Tina's Weekend Flowers which you can find at her blog here.

   

and also Mona's Floral Love which you can find here.

Floral Love

25 comments:

  1. The mill looks like an interesting place to explore but it is overshadowed by that gorgeous dogwood tree. I never knew the wood of the dogwood tree had so many uses.
    Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful flowering trees around the mill.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gracious! This is so beautiful. I remember dogwood in spring when we were living in Illinois. It brings back such lovely memories. Your photos are spectacular, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely blooms,the trees are coming out nice here finally.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful shots. I love dogwood trees.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful blossoms .... It looks like Spring has finally arrived in your pretty corner of the world.

    "All Things French"

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad the old mill has been preserved. It's a marvelous old building. Your pictures of the dogwood 'flowers' are beautiful. Our dogwood tree didn't do much this year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now that is a gorgeous tree. I think you should plant one. Or two.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really adore dogwoods. They remind me of home, both Alabama and Virginia. I do miss them! Your photos are so lovely! And that header shot is delicious! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Dogwood ♥
    Gorgeous pictures!!!
    Much appreciation to you for sharing your beautiful work on Floral Love ♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. Denise you have such a wonderful dogwood that you can access. I planted two in my mountain garden and although climatically they should have done reasonable well, what can you expect without water?

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is a very pretty tree. The information was interesting. I haven't seen any here but I think they are in the southern states.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great series!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love dogwoods too, such an elegant layered look to them. Your header photo is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful flowering tree indeed. Love your shots, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you my friends, have a great week :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the flower photos. They are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi! Very beautiful dogwood flower photos!Dogwood trees are in full bloom in Japan now.
    We enjoy these beautiful flowers just like you.
    Wishing you a wonderful Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love that first image, Denise!!! The contrast between the stone of the house and the delicate blossoms!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Obrigada pelas tão lindas palavras para mim no meu blog! Amo sua visita, e amei suas fotos também! Me deu vontade de sentar naquele banco e apreciar aquelas flores maravilhosas. Abraços e boa semana para você também. Aí também é feriado dia 01/05?

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love dogwoods too. These photos are lovely Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful Spring blooms.

    ReplyDelete