Thursday, April 11, 2013

SKYWATCH FRIDAY

On our road trip last week we took a slight detour through Washington DC.  We were hoping to see the cherry blossoms but they weren't blooming due to our late Spring (wouldn't you know it at the time of writing this post our weather is 88 degrees F., supposed to go up to 90).  I felt real sorry for the tourists who came far and wide expecting to see them.  I saw several people on the news but most were upbeat and said there were lots of other things in DC to hold their interest.  I guess they are blooming now.  The skies were a pretty blue when we were there.  The first photo shows a side view of the Lincoln Memorial, coming into the city shortly after we had crossed the Teddy Roosevelt Bridge.


This is in north east DC.

The Washington Monument is undergoing repairs after damage from the 5.8 magnitude earthquake which occurred in Virginia on August 23rd, 2011.  Click here if you would like to read about it.
You can read an interesting article written by the Huffington Post in September 2012 here.  


The Capitol Building


My thanks to Yogi, Sandy and Sylvia who are our hosts at SkyWatch Friday.  Please click here to visit other sky watchers.


Happy SkyWatch Friday!

22 comments:

  1. Lovely blues, I wish our sky looked like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry you missed the blossoms, but still lots to see and photograph!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely photos and post ! Oh wish it were that warm here . We are in the midst of every type of storm there is all over Ontario . Here we have high winds rain from every direction and the temps have dropped again . Some parts of the north are in the midst of a winter storm again ! Mother nature is throwing everything she has at us this spring ! Thanks for sharing your trip with us ! Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for posting these photos, Denise. Looking forward to my trip to DC in August.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely sky, great blue colours!
    Happy SWF!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your header squirrel! Cute! Glad to see they are fixing up the monuments that need it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely sky photos with creative backgrounds for Sky Watch ~ ^_^

    PS ~ crazy weather ~ wish you had seen the cherry blossoms ~

    ReplyDelete
  8. The sky was certainly blue that day. The Washington Monument looks good, even with the scaffolding.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't know it needed repair

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice shots. The Lincoln Memorial shot was from a view not scene very often. I also liked the photo of the Washington monument wrapped with scaffolding.

    Cold day here in Tulsa. I had to wear gloves while walking around downtown at lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the sights around town. I didn't even know there had been an earthquake of that magnitude there.
    Shows you how little we get of world news.

    Adore your new header!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful shots, Denise. Love your cute header :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cherry blossoms would have been the icing on the cake. Just the same, the cake is impressive without the icing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Denise, these are fantastic pictures, I like a lot the obelisk and the amazing blue sky!
    Happy weekend,
    Léia

    ReplyDelete
  15. A fabulous city with wonderful memorials and buildings and 2 very special residents no not Barack and Michelle but Denise and Greg.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really liked these pictures, Denise. I'll keep praying that one day our skies will be blue!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fantastic shots! I like the perspective you took of the Capitol building..

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm so glad they're repairing the Washington Monument because I'd like to visit it again.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for all the lovely comments. I hope by now I have returned the visit but I have been having trouble with blogger today. Hopefully the glitches I have stumbled over will be gone by tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete