Friday, April 12, 2013

CAMERA CRITTERS #262

When we visited Bombay Hook last week we stopped along a road next to a pond.  We were actually looking for birds.  Gregg was in the driver's seat and had a better view of the water.  We have learned that the car makes a great blind, so I am always hesitant to get out knowing that if there is anything out there, whatever it is, it will make a fast retreat and we a) won't get a chance to study and b) it is the fastest way to ruin a photo op.  


We hadn't been there more than a few seconds when Gregg looked down and gave me a wide-eyed look, whispering "Get the camera!"  His window was down and I could see he was looking on the ground.  We must have pulled up right next to the Muskrat who was too busy, or didn't really care that we had arrived while he was working.  


 After a few minutes I decided to get out of the car and try my luck.  I have a feeling he is used to plenty of people stopping by this pond, as even when I stepped into sight it didn't phase him at all.   Just to be on the safe side I stayed at the back of the car partially hidden and took several more photos.  


He was busy gathering grass for his lodge I 'm guessing.  


He sure was a cute little guy.


After a while he decided it was time to go and disappeared back into the water with a big mouthful of grass.


Muskrats are large rodents (if I didn't know this, that rat-like tail would give me a clue).  They live in marshes, near ponds, lakes, rivers and streams.  I found a lot of photos and interesting information here if you want to find out more.


~~~~~~~

Thank you Misty for hosting Camera Critters and please click here to visit critters from all over the world.

Camera Critters

15 comments:

Marilyn said...

I've never seen a muskrat...there aren't too many lakes or ponds around here. Thanks for sharing!♥♫

TexWisGirl said...

you got some GREAT shots! he's cute!

Don't unplug your hub. said...

It is nice that the muskrat doesn't feel the need to distrust humans. Maybe the world is going in the right direction?

Carletta said...

He is very cute!

Out on the prairie said...

What a great find,sometimes they seem so oblivious.Your car is a good blind,i use mine often.

Elephant's Child said...

How cute. And perhaps he was too busy house-building to worry about people.

EG CameraGirl said...

I think muskrats are very cute!

ladyfi said...

What great shots! Too sweet.

Shey said...

Too cute! Glad you found him. Looks like he's too engrossed gathering his building materials.

Linda Gross said...

Great pictures of the muskrat. I've never seen one.

Beth @ E. lizard Breath Speaks said...

what a cutie. so sweet. ( :

Kay said...

Oh gracious! These are just so cute! Every time I think about a muskrat, it reminds me of Captain and Tennille's song Muskrat Love.

Gunilla Bäck said...

Wonderful shots of this cute critter!

DeniseinVA said...

Thank you for all the lovely comments.

TheChieftess said...

Well I certainly don't know a muskrat from a rat or mouse...but he's a cutie as those go!!! Nice captures!!!