Monday, April 1, 2013

Brookside Gardens, Wheaton, Maryland

Last Saturday was the nicest day we have had in a long time.  It was sunny with not a cloud in the sky, and warm enough to be able to walk around in a sweater.  We wanted to go for a ride and after tossing around a few ideas we both agreed on our destination, Brookside Gardens in Wheaton, Maryland.  It took us just under an hour to get there.  


I don't know why we were so surprised at the amount of people we found.  We were thinking we might have to do a u-turn out of the parking lot, when an attendant walked over and told us we could use the 'buses-only' spaces.  There were only three of them, two were taken and we slid right in between two parked cars.   We really lucked out because these parking spaces were a very short walk to the visitors center. 


The gardens are just waking up, the grass was still a bit brown but the daffodils and other spring flowers were blooming.  




New buds on all the trees were starting to appear and the blossoms on some were about another week away from fully blooming.  Still very pretty though.




A very interesting sculpture made by Seth Goldstein and Paula Stone in 2009.  According to the marker "this whimsical sculpture was fashioned from vines of oriental bittersweet (Celastrus orbiculatus), a non-native invasive vine removed from local parkland.  This rampant vine seriously hampers the ability of woodlands to regenerate and support wildlife, since it smothers and strangles the plants on which it grows."  Makes a fun sculpture though doesn't it?


Gregg enjoying his surroundings....


and there were two of the several Canada Geese seen on our walk.   They went bottoms up several times and the nearby turtle seemed to be studying them.  


It was nice to see the turtles again, the first time for us this year.  


This couple were definitely enjoying a leisurely swim but stayed clear of the geese and the turtles.


We continued our walk to find flowers that we could take photos of and here are a few.  Some kind of ornamental cabbage, though I can't say I have seen one exactly like this before.  The closest I came to identifying something remotely similar was the White Peacock Ornamental Cabbage.












Besides enjoying all the outside flowers we walked around the greenhouse, but I'll save those photos for another post.  By this time we had both walked all over the park and were almost back to where we had parked the car.  This was a Red-winged blackbird that Gregg took a photo of.  


I couldn't bring myself to sit in these, although I know they were for public use.  Maybe if I was desperately tired but no, I had one last burst of energy for...


the gift shop.  I can't pass one by without walking in.


They have the neatest things in there.  This is actually the smaller gift shop, the main one is at the visitors center at the entrance.


They were selling lots of items with the Cherry Blossom Festival in mind.  I also stopped at the larger shop where I had a great conversation with the lady behind the counter.  We were talking about the cherry blossoms and how much we enjoyed them, but I said yes I had gone there a couple of years or so back but it had been so crowded and getting around on the metro was a bit of a challenge.  "Oh," she said, "you should see them at night. You have to go clubbing, by the time you get out of the club at three o'clock in the morning it's gorgeous, and the reflection of the blossoms shows up with all the lights, it's fantastic!."  I chuckled and said I was lucky I could stay up past nine in the evening let alone three o'clock in the morning.

Now, this lady I was talking to did go 'clubbing' last year and I was impressed at the thought as she proudly told me she was in her eighties.  I felt a real wimp!  Another lady piped up behind me, more near my age and she said that she had been there at ten o'clock at night and it was just as lovely, and there was plenty of parking available nearby.  Did they both look at me rather sympathetically?  I smiled, thanked them both and left with my nine o'clock bed time calling me, as after a very long walk around the park I didn't think I'd last past eight that night.  Clubbing?  A distant memory from my 20's, yes I remember dancing all night, and walking right out of the night club with my friends and right into a coffee shop as it was opening.  Gregg laughed when I told him about my conversation, and then we reached the car and found someone had parked their car right behind us, effectively blocking us in.

I had visions of us getting into bed at midnight but fortunately it was a lady who worked at the visitors center.  She had left a note of apology written on a card which she had left on the dashboard, along with her mobile phone number.  How nice is that?  At that time our parking person walked by and when we showed her the card she knew who the lady was, used her walkie-talkie and a few minutes later the lady turned up full of apologies and moved her car.  We assured her we weren't annoyed, thanked her and were very happy to back out of the space without the hassle we thought we were going to have.


I'm always glad to see our Virginia sign as we pass out of Maryland.  As nice as our visit was my homing pigeon instincts kick in and it never fails that I light up when I see our home as we turn the corner, no matter how short or how long our trip may be.  No I didn't make it past nine o'clock that night, and dancing the light fantastic was the furthest thing from my mind.  But not to that dear 80 year old plus lady who was planning her next one, and who made my day by telling me how she liked to take a walk near the cherry blossoms at three o'clock in the morning after she had been 'clubbing.'  I want to applaud her, I really do.

28 comments:

  1. That sounds and looks like a wonderful place to spend some sunshiny time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Denise, The Brookside Gardens are beautiful... And you did have a nice day to visit there... The Daffodils are gorgeous and so are the Crocuses and those Siberian Irises.... NEAT!!!

    Hope we finally get some more spring here now....

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wonderful outing Denise - Spring is on its way! Gorgeous photos, and I can never pass a gift store either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gee, what a fantastic lady she is that she can go clubbing and see the cherry blossoms at 3 in the morning! Loved your photos, Denise! You also have a great hubby in Gregg. But, you know that already! Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is some story. Clubbing at 80, what a way to enjoy her senior years. She'll probably live forever. Still it sounds a good idea to go later when there is more parking and less people. Be daring, Denise, and try it. T he gardens look as you say 'waking up'. Love the daffodils. We went to the Botanic gardens in town today.Will post about it later in the week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely day. And no, three o'clock in the morning is bed time. I really liked that the woman who parked you in had left contact details. Polite and considerate. Both sadly rare.
    Thanks for this excursion - I thoroughly enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely images of Spring Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great photographs, Denise. Some fun things there too, the table and chairs, for instance, and the vine sculpture. But hey, I wish you could let me loose in that shop...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful place:) I am greeting

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks like a great trip. I enjoyed all the pics of the flower and critters you saw.

    ReplyDelete
  11. clubbing in her eighties. gosh, if i am so lucky. :)

    beautiful blooms and nice area. i like the leaf seats!

    ReplyDelete
  12. what lovely photos I am very envious of you being able to see those spring flowers, we still have snow on the ground and the spring bulbs are just beginning to poke their heads through the ground!!

    I am like you, in bed by 9pm!!

    Gill

    ReplyDelete
  13. amazing shots, I was intrigued with the leef chais and table

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow...wow, Denise!!! Such an incredible post. Beautiful spring time foliage and blossoms, and love the birds [especially the Geese photo...bottom's up?!!!]

    ReplyDelete
  15. A great serie of photos!
    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Que lindo desabrochar da mais linda estação! Aqui o outono invade nossas vidas. Hoje choveu o dia todo, com céu cinzento e temperaturas amenas. Mas ainda faz calor. A minha região é muito quente, então, mesmo em estações que seriam frias, temos períodos de calor e céu azul. Hoje foi um dia diferente. Achei lindas as suas fotos. Passeei com você, descobrindo as primeiras flores da primavera. A natureza é generosa, e sempre nos dá uma chance. Abraços!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Denise, thanks for sharing this lovely gardens. The flowers and blossoms are pretty. The benches and sculpture are cool looking. Thanks for sharing, have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love all those spring flowers, Denise!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a pretty place! That sculpture is really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It is definitely a beautiful spring garden with the flowers blooming profusely. The sculpture is very unique.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It sounds like the walk in the fresh air did you good! Always nice to go on a trip and then get back to home, sweet home! Glad you saw the turtles.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a beautiful garden Denise! Thank you for sharing your wonderful day in the sun. The flowers are gorgeous and it looks like the birds were all enjoying themselves too ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. We don't travel a lot, but when we do, the familiar sights of home have a similar effect on me. I love to come back home!

    This post was entertaining, as I have a difficult time understanding why a person wouldn't be in bed at 3AM unless it was for a unique celestial observation, maybe sitting under a telescope, way out in the middle of the country. But clubbing? No, thank-you. Ten PM is usually my limit, and I am sure that I turn into a pumpkin if I'm not safely back home by eleven.

    ReplyDelete
  24. You are a little ahead of us as Spring goes. Our lake is still frozen and it is too early to see flowers at our Botanical Gardens. But, I guarantee you that I will be going there soon. Like you, I love the outdoors and nature ... all forms of nature. And, like you, I love a good Gift Shop! I am also past the point of wanting to go "Clubbing", though I do think I would be willing to get up (after several hours of sleep) to see the Cherry Blossems at night. Who knows, maybe when I am 80, I'll get the urge to go Clubbing ... you know, second childhood? But, I'm with you ... three cheers for the 80 year old that still as the umph to go out Clubbing at night.

    Thank you for following me ... I am glad you found me because now I have found you and I like what I see on your blog. Here's to many more fun exchanges ...

    Andrea @ From The Sol

    ReplyDelete
  25. Brookside Gardens is where Bob and I had one of our early dates.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I so love those 'seats,' though like you I don't know if I could sit on them.

    I love being out and coming across where daffodils have been planted in big patches.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Enjoyed. So looking forward to shedding heavy coat and scarf and gloves.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Gorgeous flowers, Denise! Neat vine "sculpture" and white cabbage and upended ducks! Just a lovely place! I enjoyed all the pictures so much!

    ReplyDelete