Wednesday, April 3, 2013

A food post....Baked Zucchini Fries


Used as a side dish last night.  It was excellent.  I found it here at Healthy Recipes.  Please visit for not only tasty looking dishes but more importantly very healthy ones.

Baked Zucchini Fries - makes 2 servings

Total time:            40 minutes
Preparation time:  10 minutes
Baking time:         30 minutes

Olive oil cooking spray (about 1 teaspoon oil)
2 large egg whites
2 tablespoons plain breadcrumbs
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon paprika
2 large firm zucchinis, unpeeled (about 12 ozs. total weight)

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.

Line a baking sheet with foil and spray it with olive oil cooking spray.

In a medium bowl whisk the egg whites until frothy.

In a large bowl mix together the bread crumbs, salt, pepper, garlic powder and paprika.

Cut zucchinis in half crosswise, then halve each half lengthwise and into 1/4 inch thick fries.  Pat dry using paper towels.   Place the fries in the bowl with the beaten egg whites to coat.  Transfer them to the bowl with the breadcrumb mixture and toss to coat.

Arrange zucchini fries in a single layer on prepared baking sheet, spacing them a little.  Lightly spray with olive oil spray.

Bake 15 minutes.  Remove baking sheet from the oven.  Carefully turn fries.  Spray again and bake 15 more minutes.

Serve immediately.

Nutrition per serving:

Calories: 152.7
Total Fat: 3.7 g
Saturated Fat: 3.7 g
Saturated Fat: 0.6 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 778.6 mg
Total Carbohydrate: 22.6 g
Dietary Fiber: 4.6 g
Sugars: 6.8 g
Protein: 10.1 g
Weight Watchers Points Plus: 4 points

These fries came out nice and crispy and make a wonderful side dish.  I can even see them being used as an appetizer with some of your favorite dressings.  I think Gregg would use Salsa.  He wants me to fix it often, and that's great with me as I enjoyed it very much.  I will be going back to that blog often.


One thing I did was that I peeled the zucchini before realizing the recipe said unpeeled.  I won't do that next time.

12 comments:

gigihawaii said...

Looks delicious, Denise!

Cloudia said...

Mmmmmmm!

Rose ~ from Oz said...

I love zucchinis so I'll be giving this a go Denise - thank you!
I meant to ask - are the daisy like flowers in the header what we here commonly refer to as African Daisies?

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I am going to make this soon! Thanks for the recipe and the link Denise.

Les Fous du Cap said...

Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuum ;-)
Céline & Philippe

A Brit in Tennessee said...

They look so much more indulgent than the recipe calls for...so that means we can eat more of them right ?...lol
Scrumptious, thanks for sharing Denise !
~Jo

Debbie said...

oooohhhhh denise, we get these at carrabba's restaurant, they are deep fried but delicious. they serve them with a garlic/mayo dipping sauce.

i will def try this, they look and sound so good!!

imac said...

Not for me my friend, sorry.lol

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Thanks Denise and since we enjoy zucchini this wil be a good one to try, especially in the summer months when it's more plentiful at farmers markets.

Rose said...

I didn't need to see this...looks delicious.

Barbara said...

Look good. I first tasted those in Baltimore.

Kay said...

I'm getting hungry just thinking about this. Thank you for sharing this, Denise.