Thursday, March 21, 2013

The Crab Pots

It's fun to visit the coast.  You get to see things you don't normally see, like crab pots for instance.  Gregg took these photos on our weekend in Virginia Beach. 

The other thing you notice that's different is the smell of the sea and I love it.  Ever since I was 15 I lived near the ocean and visited it frequently, exploring tidal pools was always a lot of fun.  Years before that from the age of eight my parents took us to the seaside for holidays twice a year, always to the same place, and when my Dad retired we moved there permanently.  When I met and married a navy man we didn't stray far from it for the first 15 years we were together, even though it was a different ocean.  I got to experience the Atlantic only this time from the other side, and we lived near the Pacific in Southern California for several years.
  


With retirement from the navy reality dictated that we go where a civilian job was offered, and that was over 20 years ago when we moved to our present home in Virginia, 25 miles outside Washington DC.  It took a little getting used to being inland, but whenever we can we will head for the sea.  We both enjoy what the water brings.  



Gregg's second retirement is coming up this year and though now we don't intend to actually move in the foreseeable future as we enjoy this area very much, but more importantly are near our son and daughter-in-law, it will be really lovely to head for the ocean whenever we feel like it, no time constraints.  I can see many walks along the beach in our future, looking out at the ships in the distance, watching the Seagulls and Pelicans, and other shore birds, the Sanderlings running next to the surf.   I am really looking forward to that.

19 comments:

  1. Dear Denise,
    Thanks for sharing your ideas and your memories. So nice people can keep doing something they like, after retirement.
    hugs
    Léia

    ReplyDelete
  2. It must be lovely to be able to take a walk by the sea whenever you want to.
    I'm happy with our lifestyle right now, although I miss the River Thames of Berkshire and Oxfordshire, UK. I've always lived in landlocked areas, but holidaying by the sea is something I find very special.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Denise, great shots! I would love to live closer to the ocean. It is good that we are able to drive and be there in a couple of hours. Congrats to Gregg on his upcoming retirement. When is it? Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel the same way about the ocean, too. So does my younger daughter, who is in grad school on the mainland. She hates being landlocked and misses Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I envy anyone who lives by the sea. Everything is so fresh and the smell of sea 'things' is a big draw for me. You're going to have such fun when Gregg retires again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so miss the sea.I think I have salt water in my veins.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  7. love all the colors in these shots! being navy he must have been stationed in san diego? i'm a navy brat and am from san diego, lived there all my life till we left in 2001! don't miss it, except for the mexican food!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the sea. Not so fond of crab though. My SIL tries to get me to love crab cakes (is that what they are called) when I go back to Maryland but so far -- no go. But he tries.

    ReplyDelete
  9. the sea definitely calls to you - from either coast. that will be nice for both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. HI Denise...I know what your saying, there is the calling of the sea that just draws you in...I love to go there !!
    I love crab too : ) better then lobster!! I never have seen traps up close...somewhat like lobster traps but smaller!!
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah, wonderful thoughts and great photos my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful... YES---once he retires, you will be free to go and do as you please. I hope you get to take many walks along the beach. I love the beach too--but choose to live in the mountains.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can tell from your description that you love the ocean very much -- nice that you are close enough to visit and get a dose of the sea air when you need to.

    Happy retirement to your husband. How exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really like your photos of the crab pots. I also think I understand your love of the sea. Betsy and I try to get to the coast once or twice each year.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice shots. I love the coast too. Even though I live near it, I can never get enough!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I also love the sea - and don't get there often enough. Thank you for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lots of crab pot sightings here on the VA eastern shore, Denise. If yiu and Gregg ever decide to visit this area, let us know.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh sounds like more wonderful times ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I prefer living inland where it's safer, but it's always fun to enjoy the beach when we can.

    ReplyDelete