Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Monday Rambles....Philadelphia Flower Show


It has been a while since I put a ramble on here.  I am still feeling the effects of a 24 hour trip up to Philadelphia and am not sure how long this will be.  Gregg and I went to the Philadelphia Flower Show.  We attended the one in 2012 and enjoyed it very much, deciding to go to this years.  Last year it was an Hawaii theme.  You can see a series of posts I took if you click here.  This year it was a British theme so there was no way we were going to miss that, if at all possible.  Gregg had a day off yesterday, we drove up the night before and stayed at a hotel about half an hour out of Philadelphia, near the airport.  It worked out really well as we were up bright and early and joining the queues in time for the show's opening at 10.00 a.m.

I haven't gotten all the photos downsized or all my thoughts put together on the show.  I will leave that for later posts.

On Saturday my friends and I got together for an opera, which is performed live from the New York Met at one of our local movie theaters.  We saw Wagner's Parsifal.  It was a long one, 5 hours 35 minutes, three acts with two intermissions of 20 minutes each.  At one time I never thought of myself as a Wagner fan but since I have been going to the opera with my friends, I have become a fan since watching The Ring.  I do tend to nod off at these things at times, but usually wake myself up after giving everyone a start when I give out rather a loud snore.  Everyone tells me it isn't loud but you know when it's in your head, it sounds like Big Ben but not quite as 'musical'.  Put me in a darkened theater for several hours, a restless sleep the night before and I'm gone.  This time, however, I managed to stay awake the whole time and not miss any of the performance.

Later we went to our usual restaurant, had a good meal and lovely conversation.  One of our friends husbands came with us this time and the dear man treated us to our meal.  We left there two hours later.

One friend had come up from Richmond and stayed with us for the night.  That was lovely too.  The next morning Gregg and I took her to The Pure Pasty Company where we had lunch, and not long after she was on her way back home.

Gregg said it would be a good idea to drive to Philadelphia that afternoon and stay in a hotel not far from the city.  We opted not to stay downtown because though the hotel was very nice and we were able to walk to the convention center, remembering last year the noise of the traffic kept me up all night.  I'm a very light sleeper.  A possum could sneeze outside and I would hear it.  This time we drove into the city which took less than half an hour, found a parking lot for the car not to far away and again walked to the flower show.  It all worked out very well.

I'll have more photos for you next time.

17 comments:

  1. Denise, it sounds like a wonderful time. Both the opera and the Philadelphia flower show. I would have a hard time sitting still for 5 hours while watching the opera. Looking forward to seeing the beautiful flowers. Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember your attending this event last year.Those blooms look lovely

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah! The Philly Flower show was ever the first smell of Spring in your nose after Winter.......Big Ben repro in Phila?
    Aloha

    ReplyDelete
  4. A group was also going to the flower show from here on the eastern shore. The cost was a bit high at $90, but it did include transport and a snack; unsure whether or not admission was also included. If so, then it might have been a good deal. Glad you enjoyed both the opera (not my thing) and the show.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you had a great time with your friends and your hubby. I just love it when you ramble like this, Denise. It's like you are right here in my home telling me about it. Wonderful! Keep it up, okay? Can't wait to see you and Gregg in August.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh sounds like a wonderful time had by all ! Oh I am so looking forward to spring and day light savings time ! Thanks for sharing with us . Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  7. you can sleep in an opera but not well in a bed? :) 5 hrs and 35 min! ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Denise
    Oh look at the Hollyhock - yes they will grow in lots of places but they are so very English Cottage Garden aren't they :)
    Bravo for you for completing the Opera Task - to quote a saying taken from a poem by Kipling "you are a better man than me Gunda Din" !!
    Take care
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can't wait to see your photos from the Flower Show. so glad you got to go again. I remember your photos from last year.

    I nod off in a dark theater too... Have always done that --even in a short program or movie....

    Sounds like you had a great week though.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am really looking forward to your photos. I have seen some posted by other bloggers and it looked WONDERFUL.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Adorable picture!I would like to visit this Flower Show, feeling of Spring is here now!
    Glad that you enjoyed it!
    Léia

    ReplyDelete
  12. To be greeted by your picture of a foxglove made my day. mine are cowering away in the cold waiting for the warmer weather before they get going so seeing that one has made my day. Sounds like you have had a busy time, I am looking forward to the rest of the piccies XXX Don

    ReplyDelete
  13. You had me laughing with snoring in the opera. I'm looking forward to more photos of the flower show. Brownie points for Greg having a day off and taking you to the flower show. I doubt that I could get Bill to do that, he's not big on flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looking forward to the photos of the flower festival, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I remember your photos from your last visit to the flower show, Denise. A British theme should be interesting. Your rambles are most enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I remember your wonderful posts from last year! What a marvelous treat this time, too, with the theme being British flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just checked out your link to the other Hawaii flower show. I guess I was in Japan at the time and missed your post. What a LOT of fun that flower show was. I loved your photos. The flower show is very impressive. It really makes me want to go too.

    ReplyDelete