Friday, March 22, 2013

CAMERA CRITTERS AND BIRD D'POT - Red-breasted Merganser

I am linking with Misty's Camera Critters and Anni's Bird D'Pot as soon their next post is up and running.  Click on their names to see other critters and birds from around the world.

You can read all about the Red-breasted Merganser if you click here.  It is my first experience of them and it was very exciting as I have only seen them in photos.  As mentioned in a previous post, I saw them at the Lynnhaven Inlet in Virginia Beach, at the marina behind the Dockside Restaurant.  

They are a diving duck and I was lucky enough to get a shot of this one shortly before it disappeared under the water.  They mainly eat small fish but also dine on aquatic insects, crustaceans and frogs.

There were many more than shown in this photograph.   Dozens were resting on sandbanks just off shore.

This is a male, the female has a rusty brown head but this link will show you the difference in coloration and give you information as you scroll down the page....  

and you can also listen to their call.







I wish I had more time to sit and study them.  They were wonderful birds to watch but now I know where I can see them I'll be back next year as this is my in-law's favorite restaurant.  No matter what time of the year there always seem to be a lot of bird activity out back.  I think these and many more like them have started migrating north now haven't they?

33 comments:

The Elephant's Child said...

What a STUNNING bird. Thank you so much.

Linda said...

Great looking fellow!

gigihawaii said...

Beautiful shots of those wonderful ducks. Wish I were there to take pictures, too.

Leave It To Davis said...

I think it's funny how they are all going the same direction!

Cezar and Léia said...

wow they are gorgeous!Wonderful pictures dear Denise, very well capture and I'm enchanted by your header! Spectacular!
hugs and happy weekend,
Léia

Indrani said...

So different and beautiful.
I have not seen them in zoos either.

Valerie said...

Cracking pictures, Denise. It's a long time since I saw a merganser.

Out on the prairie said...

What a beauty,we have common and hooded.The female is brown headed.

TexWisGirl said...

such very cool birds! love their 'dos and their upturned bill.

imac said...

Great little fellas these are.

HOOTIN ANNI said...

Oh my gosh...your link at "I'd Rather B Birdin" meme [The Bird D'Pot] was broken, so I'm really glad you stopped by Hootin' Anni's to visit with me. I loved all your Merganser images...they're outstanding looking birds, love this post.

grammie g said...

Hi Denise..Gorgeous bird, I only get the Common Merganser here!!The red Breasted is a much prettier duck!!
Awesome photos : )
Grace

Betsy Adams said...

Wow---that Red-breasted Merganser is a gorgeous bird. You got some fabulous photos of him. Congrats...
Hugs,
Betsy

Kerri said...

Gorgeous ducks! Love that hairdo!

Linda Gross said...

What nice pictures of the Mergansers!

eileeninmd said...

Denise, awesome shots of the Mergansers. They are so cute! Have a happy weekend!

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Those very odd looking ducks. Great photographs.

matron said...

What beautiful ducks and the photos are wonderful.love the fabulous header picture too.
Have a good weekend,
Carolyn.

Phil said...

Some great shots there Denise, especially of the males with their spiky spring hairdos.

Cheryl said...

Gorgeous captures of a really fascinating bird. I've never seen one either & I hope to when we head to VA & NC early next month.

Gunilla Bäck said...

Lovely shots of this interesting bird.

katerchen said...

die haben wir im Winter auch hier

ganz tolle Bilder sind dir gelungen

LG vom katerchen

VioletSky said...

Lucky you! I always have difficulty getting good shots of divers. And don't you just love that jaunty 'hairdo'?!

Gemma Wiseman said...

A beautiful series of photos! So love the jaunty headgear of these characters!

George said...

I've never seen this duck in person, so I really enjoyed your photos and the information you gave. Your photos are marvelous.

Randall Cogburn said...

Nice photo's, love the action shot. Looks like a fleet of them lol.

~Randall

Rajesh said...

Beautiful birds, they are having nice time.

Hanne Bente said...

Great image series showing. Thanks for the comment on my blog. Wish you a good Sunday :) Hanne Bente

Gary said...

Great captures!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

Linda said...

Denise, your photos are stunning! Thank you so much for sharing.

Kathie Brown said...

Wonderful photos of a magnificent bird. I love their hairdo and their beaks and the way they dive!

HansHB said...

Awesome photos! Well done!

Kay said...

What fun to see that tuft on feathers on their heads. Your actions shots are so amazing! Loved this.