Friday, February 1, 2013

Weekly food post



Getting this in just under the wire.  I haven't been doing a lot of cooking this week as Gregg has been working long days in Washington DC and is usually too hungry to wait for dinner at home.  Also as he says, stopping for a bite to eat is a good way to break up his time during rush hour traffic, which can be anywhere between an hour-and-a-half to a two hour commute, and he usually stops at the half-way point.  Meals for myself have been quick put-togethers.  Today he did not work in the city and only went into his office closer to home, so it will be nice to have our evening meal together.   

Word of warning - when you make this dish and it comes to the part where you put the soup into the blender (I couldn't find my hand-held immersion blender), please make sure the lid is fastened on tight.  Mine wasn't and I not only gave myself a soup shampoo, I have the washing machine going.  I also gave the counter tops yet another good clean, they're sparkling.  It may look funny when you see it done on the TV in a comedy skit, not really funny when you're feeling a bit tired.  Now if my hair is all nice and shiny tomorrow and is the silkiest it's ever been, I may have accidentally discovered a new 'green' conditioner.


'Creamy' Cauliflower Soup

You can find the original recipe here.

Serves: 4-6

1 head of cauliflower, coarsely chopped
2 cups low-sodium chicken stock
1/2 teaspoon dry thyme
2 cups milk, low-fat
1 to 2 teaspoons lemon juice (or to taste)
Salt and Ground Black Pepper

Boil cauliflower in hot water for about 5 minutes (to remove unpleasant smell).  Drain.

Add 2 cups of chicken stock and thyme, and cook until cauliflower is soft - about 15 minutes.

Remove from heat and using a hand-held immersion blender (or use a blender WITH THE LID ON TIGHT) puree the soup.  Add milk and lemon juice.  Season with salt and pepper.  Boil for one more minute.


What did we think of this recipe?   It was lovely and light and very yummy.  I sliced up some green onions and put a few on the top for garnish.  They also added a nice crunch to the soup.  You can serve it with a salad or sandwich, or just a plain crusty roll, or on its own.  I bought some crusty French Rolls from Wegmans and I toasted those with a slice of Romano Cheese, a slice of Pastrami, sliced onions and added lettuce right before I served it up. We will be making this again, though next time I will double check to see if the lid is tightly fitted on top of the blender.

Did I mention I have also mislaid my cell phone?  It's in the house somewhere, heck if I know where.  I skyped Gregg and asked him if he would give me a call, but I think the battery must be dead as I didn't hear anything when he tried.  Hopefully it will turn up over the weekend.  Anyhooee,  I think I am going to get an early night. That will teach me to stay up reading until 2.00 a.m.  I am still a night owl but a tired old night owl today.

Added note:  Gregg found the cell phone for me.   It was where I never put it, on the bed mixed in with the covers, a place I never put it normally.  Oh well, onward and upward and a good night's sleep ahead.

4 comments:

helen tilston said...

Your soup sounds delicious and how unfortunate that you had to have a cauliflower bath ...hee hee.

Enjoy your weekend and happy to hear your cell phone is found

Helenx

Jane and Chris said...

I thought it rude to laugh...so I giggled instead. I could easily veganise the soup..it sounds delicious if messy!
Jane xx

Cloudia said...

be right over



Sending Aloha to YOU
from Honolulu,
Comfort Spiral
~ > < } } ( ° >

Linda Gross said...

I have to be careful when making our bed. I have tossed Bob's cell phone onto the floor a couple times because it ends up entwined in the covers. Thankfully the falls have not done any damage to the phone!

I can picture your soup bath. Sorry it happened to you, but the picture in my head is a good one :-)