Monday, February 4, 2013

Rambles.....



When we were at Meadowlark Gardens last weekend we stopped here, a place just outside the visitors center which is full of little pig statues.  These two are ones I had never seen before, maybe they were relatively new.  It's the same area where I saw the fairy garden which I posted about here.  I always smile at these little characters because they remind me of a very special uncle of Gregg who used to keep several, and one of the fun memories of a visit to uncle years ago, was being able to step into the pig pen taking photos.  I have always been very fond of pigs but that experience set my feelings in stone, just like these little piggies at Meadowlark gardens.


We had a quiet weekend.  The weather was dreary and though it snowed only a little we didn't feel like going far.  We went up to the grocery store on the Sunday and stopped off at the coffee shop afterwards, but that was about it.  

I do remember having a short encounter with a very nice young lady about some avocados we were buying.  She went out of her way when she saw we were looking at the avocados, to tell us how wonderful the ones she had bought were a couple of days previously.  You don't get many people wanting to have a conversation with you at the supermarket, and when it happens it is refreshingly pleasant.   

Then we went to the coffee shop and the line was half way to the door but we stayed as it usually goes fast.  We noticed all the foreign accents, all the different nationalities.  We live in a very ethnically diverse area.  Gregg and I always enjoy this and said as such when we heard two men having a conversation in another language, one I couldn't really identify.  We went out the door shortly afterwards following these young men, and the one waited for me to catch up so that he could hold the door open for me, and gave me the biggest smile when I thanked him. Doesn't take much for me to feel good, experiencing politeness can be a catalyst.

The rest of the day was spent watching the football game, and that was our weekend.

21 comments:

  1. I've always loved pigs. There were saddlebacks at my Grandma's cottage.I sat watching and talking to them for hours.One memory I have from when I was very little was watching a drove of pigs running down the steep lane in front of the cottage,they were squealing all the way...and I was laughing and giggling.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that first picture is so cute, I love unnecessary garden ornaments, they are so fun!

    I am a "food store taker" the hubs says I talk to everyone, I think he may be right. I am always happy when I'm around food!

    I like quiet winter weekends.....not a fan of football!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really did have a great day. It's so nice to encounter wonderful young people, that's one thing I miss about working at the bookstore, all the great young people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are definitely cute pig statues. We had pigs on the farm when I was growing up. The pigs were cute -- the hogs not so much. It sounds as if you do live in a great area.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You sure know how to catch someone's attention with a photo! I saw that little pig on my sidebar where my visitors show up and thought..."what on earth?"..LOL Very cute little pig statue. I like both.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the little piggie statues too. It is always lovely when a stranger makes your day isn't it? Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed this post, Denise. It brought back memories of my childhood when I visited my uncle's farm. He kept pigs and once my mother saw that the runt of a litter that had just been born was having trouble breathing. She picked it up and massaged it, blowing her breath into the piglets face. It finally squirmed and came to life. I was only about 10 at the time, but I see it vividly in my mind even now, nearly 60 years later!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some things defy barriers... even language.

    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute little piggie statues, Denise... I love pigs --and those are so precious...

    People seem to visit ALOT at the stores around here. Think it's their place to meet for a visit...

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I bought a few pigs with wings statues for Xmas gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I knew you would say it was near the fairy garden! :)
    So cute!
    When we took our granddaughters to the zoo this summer there were many little and big statues of animals - including pigs. The girls loved playing on those as much as seeing the real animals.
    The diversity is exactly why I like your (and my son's) area.
    It's funny I was at the store before the game too and was deciding on some golden oreos. There were only two packs and he was willing to give me one even though he wanted two. I decided on the mixed kind. We both discovered we liked dunking them in our coffee. As I meant him down another isle he suggested a drop of vanilla in my coffee as well. It sure makes a dull job pleasant when folks share.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely post. Very professionally presented. Nothing hammatuer about this at all.
    Thanks for a cute post.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post, Denise! I love the cute piggies. I have a thing for cute lawn ornaments or statues. It is nice to meet pleasant and polite people in stores and on outings. Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Unexpected conversations are always welcome with us too, Denise and Pat/Grenville and I have met very interesting people just by talking to them first. It's one of the perks we enjoy about our road trips and blogging too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm making notes, Denise, because twice whilst reading your lovely post I was reminded about a couple of things that happened to me today. I needed the memory job! Love the pig statues; like you I have a fondness for pigs, especially little piglets.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think you have a lot of interesting places and people where you live.
    Hope your week is going well!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, how wonderful! I love those pig statues. And, yes, it's always nice when someone holds the door for you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I agree that politeness goes a long way to make a day extra nice.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Denise, I always appreciate kindness and politeness. the world could use more of it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just love those piggies. Those kind of relaxing weekends revive you for the next week.

    ReplyDelete

I thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit.