Wednesday, February 6, 2013

I found some things to scan today.....

four postcards from New Zealand.  An old penfriend sent them to me years ago.
 Lake Okareka and Mount Tarawera, New Zealand.  "This small, beautiful lake is located in rolling, bush-covered hills between Lake Rotorua and Lake Tarawera.  The dormant volcano, Mount Tarawera rises to a height of 1111m in the distance."  My penfriend had also written that Mt Tarawera last erupted in 1886 with the loss of many lives.


The description of this one reads, "The meeting place of several main highways, Blenheim is the principal commercial and administrative town for the Marlborough Province.  Top left: Mt. Tapuaenuku - Top right: Grape harvesting - Bottom left: Seymour Square - Bottom right: Historic Cobb Cottage.  My penfriend had also written on the back that this area had its worst drought on record this year."  Whenever that may have been I am not sure, there is no date on the postcard, as they were sent in an envelope with the rest of them, and that envelope I never kept.  


 This one reads, "Flaxmill Bay, Coromandel Peninsula, New Zealand."  And on the back, "Situated near Whiteanga Township, Flaxmill Bay is a sheltered haven for pleasure boats and a peaceful resort for holidaymakers"  


On the back of this one reads, "The Karapiro Power Station is one of a number of such stations built along the Waikato River.  Lake Karapiro in the background is an artificial lake formed by the dam, and has become a favorite recreational area.


I thoroughly enjoyed finding these postcards again yesterday.  I am not sure whether I will ever get to New Zealand.  I would like to think so, one day, I always say one day, because you never know do you?

15 comments:

  1. I have always wanted to go to New Zealand and take photos ! The land is beautiful ! Thanks for sharing . Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  2. David wants to visit NZ and Australia next year. He keeps talking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great area to discover many new things.A friend retired there this last year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my mates went to NZ, says it was great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Denise, your postcards are lovely. I would like to visit Australia and New Zealand. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The scans came out so well; thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When you stop saying, "one day..." that means you stopped dreaming...and when you stop dreaming, your life may as well be over. May you always have dreams!

    ReplyDelete
  8. New Zealand has so magnificent nature!Adorable postcards, thanks for sharing. I hope someday I can visit there.
    I also love your header, it's a beautiful winter scenery!
    hugs
    Léia

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I was a child my mam and dad were talking about emigrating to New Zealand. I have always wanted to go myself.

    Gill

    ReplyDelete
  10. New Zealand would also be on my wishlist as a country to visit. It really appeals because of the beautiful scenery. I wonder if you still keep in touch with your penfriend?

    ReplyDelete
  11. HI Denise, My late brother and wife used to do alot of traveling --all over the world. One of their very favorite places was New Zealand... I'd love to visit there sometime.

    Great postcards.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are beautiful scenery, and such great memory to have!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Denise, there are so many wonderful places to see in the world. Wouldn't it be amazing to be able to see them all?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful views! New Zealand is also one of my travel wishes, especially after watching the LOTR movies, where they showed the wonderful natural scenery there.

    ReplyDelete

I thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit.