Monday, February 25, 2013

A food post.....Cookie for One?

Did you by any chance watch the Oscars?   We started a tradition in 2012 when our son and daughter-in-law came over for the evening on Oscar night, and last night we had a repeat performance.  They arrived at around 5.30, for dinner, good conversation, and later we watched the show from beginning to end.  I didn't see a lot of the movies that were nominated but it was an enjoyable evening and a fun way to spend time with our family.

Our meal was so simple it didn't even need a recipe.  I threw it all together in a short space of time, baked chicken breasts, jacket (baked) potato, a variety of roasted vegetables, and Gregg put together a salad.  All we had for dessert was a bowl of vanilla ice-cream.  Didn't feel like fussing, simple, fast and everyone enjoyed it.

The other day, however, I fixed the following dessert when Brad came over for a couple of hours.  He had the day off mid-week and stopped by.  I had been wanting to try this recipe the next time we had company and Brad is really good about being my test-taster, Gregg too but he was working in Washington DC that day.

Here it is: made for one person but easy to adjust for more people if you need to.


Single-Serving, Deep-Dish Chocolate Chip Cookie


(My apologies...I had already taken a spoonful of dessert before I remembered I needed a shot for this post.)

The original recipe was found here at Chocolate Moosey.  Please visit Carla's blog when you can as she has great photos, and she also has some delicious sounding desserts just like this one.

Yield: 1 deep-dish cookie

2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 tablespoon brown sugar
One or two drops of vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup flour
2 tablespoons semi-sweet chocolate chips
Vanilla Ice-Cream for serving.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.  Take your individual-sized ramekin out of the cupboard.

In a medium microwavable bowl, melt the butter.  Whisk in both sugars and vanilla.  Whisk in salt, baking soda and flour.  Blend in the chocolate chips.  Scrape the batter into the ramekin.

Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until the top is firm and light brown.  Let cool for a few minutes before serving with a small scoop of vanilla ice-cream.

~~~~~~~

When you feel like something sweet but don't want to go overboard this is just the ticket.  I didn't have any ice-cream but there was some whipped cream in the fridge and I put a tablespoon on each.  When I was making up the cookie batter I also added a tablespoon of chopped pecans. The finished product was so yummy.

22 comments:

Cloudia said...

Lol! I never remember to photo food before eating some of it,
Aloha

Rose ~ from Oz said...

Sounds delicious Denise! I like your tradition of a simple nourishing meal with a family get-together watching the Oscars.
I watched the whole thing this morning here in Oz, and thought it was the best in quite a few years.
The yearly Memoriam is always so sad. And what a thrill with Ms Streisand doing a number. I loved it.

Cezar and Léia said...

Hmmm Denise, you are so talented!This desert looks delicious!
Léia

Valerie said...

Sounds delicious.... wish we could indulge in something like that. Hubs is diabetic so you see my predicament.

jabblog said...

Sweet - in all senses of the word:-)

Lui said...

Yummy, Denise!
Ahhhh, I miss home cooking!

gigihawaii said...

That's a wonderful recipe, Denise. I love chocolate. Now, if I only had a ramekin. Lol.

A Brit in Tennessee said...

Looks like something I would enjoy, I'll give your recipe a try !
{Drool}
~Jo

grammie g said...

Hi Denise...No I didn't watch, but this morning of course you here about the fall on the stairs and whose dress was cut to low and etc ; )!!
The cookie for one looks like a wonderful treat : )!!
Grace

Marie said...

Oh, this looks so good! A great idea! When I make cookies I end up eating too many!

eileeninmd said...

Denise, your cookie dessert looks yummy! My hubby would love this, I am sure. I did not see the movies, so I did not watch the Oscars. Thanks for sharing recipe.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

You showed a lot of restraint to remember after one bite that you needed to take a picture == that looks so good, I'd have probably inhaled it before I remembered! The reciple looks great -- we are trying to cut back on sweets but this would be a great way to have just one cookie when you craved one; I'm going to try it. Thanks.

The Oscar night menu sounds perfect and the evening a lot of fun. we enjoyed the show too.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Denise, anytime that Brad can't make it or Gregg, let us know as chocolate chip anything is a BIG favorite here.

Debbie said...

oh denise, this sounds so easy and looks very yummy!!

i did not watch the oscars as i am not a big fan of award shows.

Betsy Adams said...

Your deep-dish cookie sounds awesome.... I love that idea --of making just one.. George and I could split one--and it wouldn't hurt either one of us.

Your dinner last night sounds wonderful. Sometimes, simpler is better!!!! And Vanilla Ice Cream is my favorite!!!!!

Didn't watch the Oscars. Glad the family had a nice time together.

Hugs,
Betsy

Carla said...

Glad you enjoyed the recipe!

diane b said...

You need to put in your post title "WARNING don't read this when you are hungry."

It sounds so simple but looks delicious.

Linda said...

I like the sound of your evening watching the Oscar Ceremony on television. We watched our own award ceremony here in the UK -'the BAFTAs', but the OSCARs is the big one. Your recipe for chocolate dessert looks yummy! Any chocolate cake or dessert is popular in our family!

Kerri said...

YUM!

George said...

I really shouldn't have read this before lunch. Now I'm very hungry.

Kay said...

Oh yum! That looks scrumptious! I wish we could have watched the Oscars with our family. That would have been so much fun. Unfortunately, we were at a funeral at 3:00 and came home after a quiet meal after the service. The evening was more subdued.

Kathie Brown said...

OMG! this sounds yummy! and yes, Gus and I did watch the Oscars as well. I have not seen any of the movies but I would like to see the Life of Pi and Les Miserables if possible.