Monday, February 18, 2013

A food post....

Well, I wasn't able to keep up my weekly food post but thought I would start the week off with one.  We had friends over for dinner last Saturday and I fixed this appetizer.  I found it here if you want to see the original.


Healthy Goat Cheese Stuffed Dates

Serving size: 6 dates - 270.7 calories per serving 
Makes 4 servings
If you are following a Weight Watcher's program they are 8 points per serving.

24 small pitted dates (use 4 per person)
4 ozs. soft goat cheese, softened for just a few seconds in the microwave (start with 10 seconds)
4 teaspoons honey
24 walnut pieces

Make a lengthwise slit in each date.  The ones I bought had the stone still in them but they were easy to remove.

Use a small teaspoon to fill with cheese.  Place a walnut on top and lightly press.  Drizzle with honey.  Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve.

Remove from fridge 30 minutes before serving to allow the cheese to soften.


~~~~~~~~~

This made a lovely appetizer.

People have lots of different opinions about organic foods and more and more supermarkets are giving you a choice.  I always buy organic if it's available such as the dates.  Wegmans has a good stock of organic food, one of the many reasons I enjoy shopping there, but I also can't wait for the farmer's market to start up again as I like to give our local farmers the business.

I made this recipe before ten o'clock in the morning (but did not add the honey until just before serving), covered them with foil and popped them in the fridge.  They were served at 6 p.m. with a glass of Meiomi Pinot Noir.  I only mention the wine because I first tried a glass when we were out with the kids several weeks ago and it was very good.  I decided to buy a bottle when I went to the store for the next dinner party we had at home.

Everyone enjoyed it but more importantly they enjoyed the stuffed dates.  There were none left.  Definitely putting this recipe in the 'make again' folder.  Gregg just asked me if there were any left.  As I had bought an extra package of dates and small pot of goat cheese, no problem and promised I would make more up for dinner later.  We have left-overs....whoo-hoo, no cooking today!