Wednesday, January 2, 2013

The Mount Vernon Inn

Last Saturday Gregg asked me where I would like to go for a ride and after a quick thought or two I asked what he thought about going back to Mount Vernon for lunch at the Inn.  I remember going there years ago but it is such a fuzzy memory.  Gregg had no recollection of the Inn and thought we were heading for the food court at the visitors center, voicing his surprise when I walked passed the entrance.  I in turn had forgotten there was a food court.  He was glad we ended up at the Inn because we enjoyed it immensely.  Most of the time Gregg and I are on the same wavelength but there are times when we go on a different route....


Walking across from the parking area that icy wind was bone chilling.  The rooms with the two open fires were full but we were seated immediately in a room further back.  Next time I would make a reservation for a table near the fire.  It was still a nice area but the fires just looked so cozy, and after walking in from outside the heat felt comforting. The waiter came over as soon as we sat down and asked if we would like a drink and suggested a hot cider.  Gregg stuck with his iced-tea but I happily welcomed the hot cider and it did the trick.  Our waiter was dressed in colonial garb and was wonderful, he had a twinkle in his eye and a great sense of humor.  


We both ordered the Peanut and Chestnut Soup.  I was expecting crusty bread as an accompaniment but it came with Colonial Crackers.  Hmmm....different, definitely different but the more we ate the more we liked.  I wondered if George Washington had eaten something like this back in his day.


I had the Colonial Turkey Pye and Gregg the Old Virginia Ham Sandwich but I didn't ask him to take a photo of his meal.  By this time the dining room had started filling up and I didn't want to disturb people with the happy-snapper camera woman, and just like turning my cell phone off, I also turned off the camera.....for a while.


I took a picture of the chandelier earlier.  I liked the pink flowered porcelain.  For some reason that pink flowery pattern gave me the feeling of being in my grandmother's house when I was a child.

Here is a list of the drinks.  Don't forget you can click on any of the photos.  It helps, especially with this writing.


They had a Gingerbread Cottage on the buffet table which we noticed on our way out.  It had the address of the person who made them, which I also took a photo of because you never know, maybe next Christmas.


Sorry for the sunspot!




Our time at the Mount Vernon Inn was very pleasant and I look forward to the next time.  Maybe when we get the next group of house guests, or the next anniversary, or birthday.....


We'll enjoy going back some day.

17 comments:

Rose ~ from Oz said...

What an absolutely 'delicious' outing! What fun and great pics!
This really made me laugh, as the last time I tried to photograph a delicious meal (quite recently) the waiter rushed over and said "what's wrong! what's wrong?" so of course everyone was then staring. Honestly he looked at me as though I'd gone mad when I said I just like to photograph a nice meal.

The Elephant's Child said...

What a wonderful outing. Thank you. I loved the chandalier - elegant and pretty.

Linda said...

Glad you enjoyed your outing. It's always nice to go out for a special meal isn't it?

eileeninmd said...

Denise, it looks like a lovely place for lunch. And your meal looks delicious, a great choice! Thanks for sharing, I will have to keep this place in mind if we are in the area. Happy Day, Happy Year!

Valerie said...

Home made hot buttered rum.... wow, Denise, I could use some of that right now. We had a Christmas meal at Moor Hall (you may have heard of it) where the mushroom soup was served in a tiny cup, complete with saucer. It made everyone laugh and of course we're now bragging that we had cuppa soup at the Hall.

Jane and Chris said...

Oooh,the hot apple cider looks lovely!
Jane x

B. Rogers, Alchemy of Clay said...

This is a great story, and so glad you got pictures of some of the food. Your luncheon experience may lead more of us to try it out, wherever it is? Somewhere near the real Mount Vernon perhaps?

gigihawaii said...

Lovely! You were brave to go out in the cold. Last night, we were all set to dine at Ruby Tuesday, but I chickened out at the last minute when I decided it was too "cold" to go there. And this is Hawaii! Lol.

sandyland said...

nice treat

Debbie said...

I just adore these special meals with the hubs. Your food looks amazing! A nice drive, a few pictures and a wonderful meal are all I really need! And perhaps a walk on the beach, that is one of our favorite after dinner treats. Great pictures, looks like a fun day! I would have gotten the cider also!!

Diane AZ said...

Everything looks wonderful and it sounds like you had fun. I would love to try the peanut and chestnut soup with colonial crackers!

imac said...

The road to love , what a wonderful post, my friend.

Kerri said...

Looks like YUM and FUN rolled into one!

Janie said...

This looks like a great place to visit and a wonderful meal with plenty of historic atmosphere.
Happy New year to you and your family, Denise!

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

I love the beginning of the post when you described the differing memories btween you and Gregg. I'm having more conversations with my father and siblings about things that happened when we were kids. Pretty hilarious differences.

I loved the meal. You made a great choice. Next time the fire though!

Louis la Vache said...

«Louis» wishes you all the best for this New Year!

Kay said...

What a lovely looking place. The food looks absolutely delicious! I would love to try going there too.