Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Mr. Mockingbird

Today I am connecting to Anni's Bird D'Pot here and also Stewart's World Bird Wednesday here.

It's been a long time since I saw a Mockingbird.

So there he is and there I am.  He is in a tangle of branches and I am trying to get some half-way decent shots. I begin to respect those intrepid wildlife photographers who wait for hours, sometimes days, to get that one perfect shot. I didn't want much, just the sight of a berry in the bird's beak. You wouldn't think that was too much to ask would you Mr. Mockingbird?

Apparently it was for I waited and waited and waited, and waited, and so did he - for me to go away.  I had my camera trained on that little bird for a long time. I had seen him picking off several berries and swallow them in a split second.  Surely I could capture that? No, I couldn't! I have more respect for the wildlife photographer who would have the patience to wait him out.  But the more I looked the more he looked at me.  For one brief moment my glance diverted in another direction, and as quick as a flash I saw that berry picked and just as quickly disappear.  I asked if he was taunting me and I think I saw him smile.

"Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience."  You are a smart man Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Bye-bye Mr. Mockingbird, maybe next time.

Yep, he's smiling!