Monday, January 7, 2013

Crest Hill Antiques and Tea Room - Downton Abbey Tea

This past weekend was a busy one for me.  I met up with my friends on two occasions.  On the Saturday we went to see the televised live performance from the New York Met of Hector Berlioz's Les Troyens at our local movie theater.  We always arrive an hour early to get our favorite seats at the back, and with the performance and two intermissions later, were in the movie theater from 11.00 a.m. to 5.30 p.m.  It was marvelous, though I think I can almost hear a collective grown from the audience as we all get out of our seats.  I for one always feel very stiff after sitting for so long, even with being able to stretch during the intermissions.  We head out to a restaurant afterwards where we discuss the performance and also catch up on each other's news.


Normally we don't get together twice in one weekend but the next day was a special outing.  We went to this absolutely wonderful place in the small village of The Plains called The Crest Hill Antiques and Tea Room.  Not only is it an antique store with a splendid collection of items for sale, but it also has a tea room.  Yesterday they were having a Downton Abbey Tea, and as many of us Downton Abbey fans in the U.S. know, last night was the start of the third season. 


We had the most delightful time.  The ladies who took care of us were just the kind of people you love to meet in such a place, very warm and friendly.


As you can see we're all having a great time....


and at our place setting was a "Free John Bates" button which we wore with pride.  We also signed a petition to get Mr. Bates out of prison, and yes you have to watch the show to know who he is and why he is in 'the Clink'.  The names we signed were fictitious, the Duchess of.....


Here's the menu.  Don't forget to enlarge any of the photos if you want to get a clearer look.  


I forgot to take a photo of the salad.  We had a choice of Creamy Butternut Squash Soup and that was very tempting, but we all opted for the Spinach Salad which was delicious with the freshest of ingredients.  Our second course was also very tasty.


We had a choice of Tweeny's Tipsy Cake for dessert.....  
(I learned something new yesterday, "Tweeny" is the name given to a maid who assists two other members of a domestic staff).  


or Mrs. Patmore's Madeira Pound Cake.
Both were scrumptious!


And then of course there was the tea. 

We had a choice of the Downton Abbey Blend, Lady Grantham's Diamonds and Gold or Carson's Elixir.  Again, each would have been an excellent choice but we opted for the Downton Abbey Blend.  

I bought a packet of the Downton Abbey tea to enjoy at home, and no doubt will be going back to try the many selections of other loose teas, as well as to enjoy browsing around the other items for sale, including the vintage jewelry that I loved looking at and for the first time ever bought myself a set; pendant, bracelet and ring.  The photo doesn't do them justice, they are exquisite!


If ever you find yourself in The Plains, Virginia, I can highly recommend the Crest Hill Antiques and Tea Room.  I might add that I am not receiving any benefits for advertising their store nor will I ever expect any, but as you've seen before on this blog, when I have had a very pleasant experience at any of the places I have been to, I like to give credit where credit is due and I can honestly say it is one of the nicest tea rooms I have ever been in.

22 comments:

  1. You scored! Delightful. Nice looking group too.
    Aloha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great time . I stiffen up to from sitting for a long time. I love Downton Abby it is a spin off of Upstairs Downstairs which I saw all wayy back ! I love tea houses we have a nice one in town a country house/hotel tea room owned and operated by a Brit couple ! Thanks for sharing . Have a wonderful day !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your jewelry is beautiful, the desserts looked delicious, and your friends sound like a lot of fun, especially signing a petition with fictitious names! I envy you such wonderful friends!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh what a great time you all had! love that tea room too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, Denise how I would have loved to have joined you, a special Downton Abbey tea, what could have been more splendid !
    I was invited to our Nashville Public Television event, the premier of season 3.
    Wine, nibbles and then the airing of season 3, Edwardian costume was encouraged, sadly I had to pass on the invitation, but stayed glued to it in the comfort of my own home :)
    Sounds like you all had a grand time...."Free Bates" indeed.
    Love,
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I am a crazy 73 year old Downton Abbey fanatic. I want a button to free poor Mr. Banks. What a fun time you all must have had. Wish I had been there with you to eat the good food and drink the fine tea. We live in Lexington and have never been to Plains. genie

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds amazing!
    I am a tea addict and it's my dream to visit a proper tea house

    Lovely photos x

    ReplyDelete
  8. It all sounds wonderful! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. That does sound and look lovely, Denise. Glad you and your friends had such a good time! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Denise, sounds like a great time with your friends. The tea room sounds lovely, I could skip right to the desserts. Your photos are wonderful ,thanks for sharing your day. Have a happy week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, what fun! I don't watch TV, but am planning on watching Seasons 1 and 2, and after a couple of episodes I'm sure I'll be hooked! Your time with your friends having tea sounds and looks perfect! Too bad we can't have TASTE and SMELL on these blogs.♥♫

    ReplyDelete
  12. It sounds as if you had a simply fabulous weekend. I'm not sure I could have gotten out of the theater seats after the performance. The teas sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That sounds like a truly wonderful weekend and I love your cameo set.

    ReplyDelete
  14. MMM that pound cake sounds fun.I recently bought some cardoman but forgot what for,I think a chicken dish.As a dessert this sounds fun to try the new flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my! That looks like so much fun. It's always fun to spend quality time with friends. I love the little tea cups. It's all so English.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice pictures you show from your weekend. Delicious desserts, fine jewelery. Wish you a good Tuesday :) Hanne Bente

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh Denise, you do find some wonderful places to visit. As a staunch admirer of Downton Abbey you can understand how much I appreciated this one. You will be pleased to know that the petition to free Bates worked... he's out and about again :O)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful ladies! Glad that you have such a great time with your friends. The menu looks delicious and I love all pictures!
    A charming life you have! :)
    hugs
    Léia

    ReplyDelete
  19. How fun, and delicious! I really enjoyed those two hours on Sunday evening too, how about you?

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a wonderful 'girly' day out and a new set of bling as well.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Glad you had such a wonderful weekend with your friends and the Downton Abbey themed tea sounds very enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you for all the lovely comments everyone :) I hope your week is starting out well.

    ReplyDelete

I thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit.