Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Cold Remedies


Ode To A Cold

Oh Spring where is thy sunny spell
Come visit me and make me well
In thy warmth please let me dwell
In doing so these cold symptoms quell.

(You can read the rest of this ode if you click here)


Yes, roll on Spring.  We have had quite a drop compared to the weekend's temperatures.  It's bitterly cold outside and last night I started showing signs of coming down with a sore throat and sniffles.  I went to the store and got some lozenges containing zinc but I also have some lemons in the fridge and will be making my favorite comfort drink when colds come calling; lemon juice mixed in hot water, about a teaspoon of grated ginger and honey to taste.  

I've also read online a few remedies and if you go here you can read them.   Snorting warm milk with cinnamon up my nose, well I'm giving that one a thumbs down.  I just can't see myself doing that, but the following sound pretty good and I copied it from the article verbatim.

Ginger Tea: honored to be an excellent home cure for running nose, tea prepared with ginger juliennes cooked in water along with an addition of brown sugar and optionally green onions, is an instant remedy.  Though it is a way of Chinese tea preparation and originated as a remedy also in China, yet it has a wide acceptance all over the world and is considered highly plausible.

Ginger Juliennes: chewing raw ginger that is very finely sliced around thrice a day is a proven remedy for quick relief from running nose.

Also, for vegetarians by nature, cloves of garlic boiled in water can be consumed as a soup for instant cure and better respiration.

23 comments:

  1. Best one I know and it works, is Vicks Vaporub all over the soles of your feet layered on and then warm socks. You'll sleep well despite the cold and then you get better faster. This also works wonders for a hacking cough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. laughing at the warm milk snort! :) good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Denise...Everybody seems to have a cure don't they....me I just drink plenty of water and take
    ibuprofen ; )! Most of these cocktails only make me sick to my stomach yuck!!
    Good luck...,I'd skip the milk snorting too!!
    It is 2 above a the minute here!!
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH My.... Hope your remedies help... Sometimes an old cold just has to do its thing...

    Prayers for your health.. Hope you feel better soon.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ginger is good , it is relaxing to me also.Interesting remedy from Brit Gal, I almost forgot Vicks.I tend to take something when I just get the sniffles and eat vitamins during cold season.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Darn colds, they have a nasty habit of messing with our daily coming and going.

    Get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like this a lot. I much prefer natural remedies over chemical medicines any day. Thank you for sharing this. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck with your remedy. here's another one: Put garlic in your socks when you go to bed.
    I hope you don't get that awful flu that we have heard is ravishing America.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The ginger tea sounds nice, not too sure about snorting warm milk. I hope you feel better soon. I am hoping for an early spring.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember as a child being given hot lemonade. I don't think I liked it very much. Hope your cold goes quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope you feel better soon, Denise! Seems like there are a lot of sick people here in Ontario too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Be strong quite a physical drop meanwhile cool and lovely here. I do not think it will freeze this year and frankly I wanted one for weeds haha

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hope you feel better soon! Natural remedies involving a warming drink, lemon and ginger are comforting. I don't fancy the garlic remedy although we know it has many beneficial properties for good health!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gin, lemon juice,maple syrup topped up with boiling water. Won't cure a cold but makes you feel all cozy!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just got rid of mine ta, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am not sure I like those concoctions, but I always take Allegra-D for sinus/nasal problems. You have to get them from the pharmacy, because they contain an ingredient that cannot be sold off the shelf. It is not a prescription drug, but you just have to sign for it in person.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I hope you're feeling better now. Keep warm and have lots of hot drinks.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The picture of that seal is what i look like when i get a cold. a week off of work and some hot soup will see any cold shifted... hmmm maybe its work that makes me ill !!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh how sweet otter. In Lake Hald where we are sailing kayak, we have seen an otter grave, but no otter. Wish you a good day :) Hanne Bente

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is very interesting, Denise. I'll have to come back to this post when I get another cold. So far... so good. Keeping my fingers tightly crossed. I like the idea of the ginger tea.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hope you are feeling better soon, Denise. I would go with the lemon, honey and tea because some of the other remedies did not sound as appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. First of all, love the photo. He's too cute! But, about the cold remedies...I always drink hot lemonade when I get sick. The warmth in the chest area, added to the vitamin C works so nicely! BUT, I have never added ginger, and I will do so from now on. We also heard that a T of honey with cinnamon is a good thing to take. We did that last time and couldn't see that it really helped, but its often hard to tell. I'd love to try that Chinese remedy. I know candied ginger keeps one from getting air sickness. never really connected ginger to colds, but natural remedies often have several uses. This was a great post!

    By the way, just wondered if you and your hubby had time to check out that video on my other blog.

    ReplyDelete

I thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit.