Thursday, January 17, 2013

Another food post.....

I will be trying to share at least one recipe each week.  

Always interested in varying our meals I made these for a change.  I can't remember the last time I fixed enchiladas but I am very glad I came across this recipe.  It is another keeper.


White Chicken Enchiladas - original recipe found here.

10 soft taco shells
2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
2 cups shredded Monterey jack cheese
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup sour cream
1 (4 oz.) can diced green chilies

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease a 9 x 13 inch pan.

Mix chicken and 1 cup of cheese.  Roll up in tortillas and place in pan.

In a saucepan melt butter, stir in flour and cook 1 minute.  Add broth and whisk until smooth.  Heat over medium heat until thick and bubbly.

Stir in sour cream and chilies.  Do not bring to a boil, you don't want curdled sour cream.

Pour over enchiladas and top with remaining cheese.

Bake 22 minutes and then under high broil for 3 minutes to brown the cheese.

~~~~~~~

This was very tasty.  While I took the hot dish out of the oven for it to cool a little, Gregg offered to make the salad.  When he has the time he enjoys getting in the kitchen and helping with the meal.  He's a great salad maker and also can put together a great breakfast.

If you look at the original recipe there are some very good tips about this dish.  I read that you can't really freeze as is, rather you can make the enchiladas without the sauce.  You can make the whole dish up to 24 hours ahead but if you want to freeze the meal, you can do so but stop short of making the cream sauce, just freeze the enchiladas.  You make the sauce the day you serve, first thawing the enchiladas overnight and then cook according to the original instructions.   It might help to take them out of the fridge half an hour before putting in the oven.

When I fix this again I will halve the recipe just for the two of us, make one batch of enchiladas to serve that day and put the rest - minus sauce -  in the freezer for another day.  

Also, I made this recipe the day after I fixed our fish dish here, and as I still had some of the Kerrygold garlic and herb butter left, I used it for the 3 tablespoons butter called for.  

11 comments:

Cloudia said...

You are an enticing cook!


Aloha from Honolulu,
Comfort Spiral
~ > < } } ( ° >
> < } } ( ° >
> < 3 3 3 ( ' >

gigihawaii said...

sounds great, Denise! David might like it, too.

Lo said...

Omigawd.....that sounds delish. I intend to try it and will bless you throughout the meal.

diane b said...

I shouldn't read your blog late in the afternoon it makes my mouth water and I dribble into the keyboard.

Rose ~ from Oz said...

I ADORE enchiladas!! Great recipe Denise.

Cezar and Léia said...

This is a good recipe for cooking during this weekend, thanks for sharing!Looks delicious!
Léia

eileeninmd said...

Denise, it looks and sounds delicious. Thanks for sharing your recipe! Have a great weekend!

KaHolly said...

Yummmmmy!! I think sharing a recipe a week is a great idea. I do not like to cook, and can never think of things to make. Now I can just refer to your blog when making out the grocery list!

Tanya said...

oh it looks yummy!

Out on the prairie said...

Sounds good,I have never put sour creme in the sauce.

Susan, a Sometimes Blogger said...

Sounds (and looks) yummy.
Always lovely to have a hubby who likes to get into the kitchen too.