Tuesday, January 8, 2013

A food post.....Garlic and Herb Seasoned Tilapia

I am trying to put more fish on the menu but neither of us like anything too strong of a fish taste, so when I came across this recipe for Garlic and Herb Seasoned Tilapia, I wanted to give it a try.  As Gregg finds Tilapia too mild he requested flounder.  When I went to the supermarket they didn't have any and I asked the fishmonger what would he recommend other than flounder. He had the cod and pointed to a couple of others but I'm a bit finicky on fish and knew from past experience that I liked cod....


so, even though I am giving the recipe for Tilapia below, I substituted fillets of cod.

Garlic and Herb Seasoned Tilapia  found at the McCormick website here.

Enough for 4 servings.

Preparation time:         5 minutes
Cooking time:             12 minutes

2 tablespoons butter, melted
1-1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1-1/2 teaspoons McCormick Perfect Pinch Salt Free Garlic and Herb Seasoning
1 teaspoon McCormick Onion Powder
1/4 teaspoon McCormick Black Pepper, ground
1 pound Tilapia fillets 

Mix butter, lemon juice, seasoning, onion powder and pepper in a small bowl until well blended.

Place fish on broiler pan.  Brush butter mixture over fish.

Broil 10 to 12 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork.

Test Kitchen Tip: you can also substitute red snapper, striped bass, flounder or sole for the tilapia.

End result: we loved this dish, in fact we were both surprised how much we loved it.  It was delicious.  I used whatever I had in the pantry, same ingredients but not always the McCormick brand.  

I also had a stick of Kerrygold Garlic and Herb butter that we didn't use over the holiday and substituted that for the melted butter mixed with fresh lemon juice.  

What we also loved was how easy it was to cook, and fast.  I came home from the store and half an hour later we were sitting down to dinner.  Goes great with a green salad or an assortment of roasted colorful veggies.

I served it with wedges of lemon and the extra juice gave it a nice little zing.


24 comments:

Gill - That British Woman said...

we had fish also tonight, Tilapia and I cooked it in the oven with a mayo, sour cream, cheese and bread crumb topping. Loved how fast it cooked. Like you I am trying to add more fish to our diet. Yours looks good also.

Gill

Kerri said...

Yum!

eileeninmd said...

Sounds yummy, I usually like anything with garlic. Thanks for sharing the recipe, Denise!

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Looks so moist and yummy. I do like fish, but still take a fish oil pill every day - "brain food".LOL

The Elephant's Child said...

Sounds good. And quick and easy sounds better.

Betsy Adams said...

YUM... We have a similar recipe and we prefer the tilapia (since I like mild fish)... It is VERY VERY good... Thanks for sharing. I will try this recipe and compare it with ours.

Hugs,
Betsy

Sallie (FullTime-Life.com said...

Yum! We love fish and are trying to eat more of it. I'm always amazed at how easy and quick it actually is. It wasn't something I cooked when we had a houseful of kids and so I still have to think about it and use a recipe ...but it is starting to come more naturally.

Cathy said...

Hello Denise
I'm always looking for easy recipes and this sounds as tho it will taste good as well. Will try it out sometime with additions from my pantry lol
Take care
Cathy

KaHolly said...

Sounds good! I'm not a big fan of cod, but I'll bet one could substitute any fish with this recipe!! Thanks for sharing! ~karen

Cloudia said...

gotta go eat!


Aloha
from Waikiki,
Comfort Spiral
~ > < } } ( ° >
> < } } ( ° >
> < 3 3 3 ( ' >

Out on the prairie said...

A good fish for aquaculture, they grow fast for a small space.

Kay said...

This sounds wonderful. My favorite fish is black cod or butterfish. The Japanese make a miso butterfish that is fantastic.

By the way, Art is busily working on our trip to see Antelope Canyon. I'm just hoping the 2.5 hour tour won't be too much for mom. I also hope there are bathrooms available.

Cezar and Léia said...

I love fish and I'm taking my notes here, thanks for this wonderful idea!
Léia

Valerie said...

I never tried garlic with fish but I guess it's perfect for disguising the taste somewhat. We're great lovers of haddock and lemon sole... in fact, we're having the latter for lunch today. I've copied your recipe for future use... thank you.

i beati said...

I have fish probably 3 times a week at least love al kinds

Tanya said...

oh that looks good. we don't eat enough fish either but my husband was just saying last night for me to put fish and chips on the menu. now that i think about it, surely an english girl like you has a great recipe for fish and chips? :)

imac said...

I do hope it was to your taste my friend.

Anni said...

You are making me drool. It looks [and sounds] deeeelicious.

Michaela said...

I don't like fish, though I do eat salmon every now and then..

diane b said...

Must try that. Thanks for the recipe.

diane b said...

Me again. I had to go look up the difference between broiling and grilling as we don't use the term broiling. It turns out we call it grilling whether it is in the oven or on the BBQ.
There's another one to add to "Chuna"

EG CameraGirl said...

Mmmmm. Sounds delicious. I am also adding fish to our diet. :)

Farida said...

I just love tilapia! This dish is very appealing to me and I can even smell it from here :D

Take care, Ms Denise!

Linda Gross said...

We like Tilapia. This sounds like a good recipe. Thanks for sharing! I like Gill-That British Woman's recipe too!