Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Still on the topic of Mount Vernon.....

once you got to the kitchens we were allowed to take photos, and this was on the table.  It is some kind of savory pie and it looks real enough but I don't think so. 

As I was interested in what George Washington may have eaten I did a bit of surfing on line and read that Hoe Cakes were a favorite breakfast food of his.  If you go here you will find a recipe.   On this page you will see recipes for String Beans with Almonds, Steak and Kidney Pie, and Fish Muddle. Favorite desserts were Tipsy Cake (we know it as Trifle), Martha Washington's Tipsy Whiskey Cake and Cherry Pie (something he has in common with Gregg).  According to what I also read on this page, he enjoyed Porter which was a dark ale.  Also Madera and Wine.  He liked pickles and other condiments.

Martha Washington's cookbook can be found if you click on this link.

A very detailed article on what George Washington ate can be found here.

While we are on the subject of food, today I made a Navy Bean Soup which I have posted before. You can find that here.