Friday, December 14, 2012

CAMERA CRITTERS

This morning as I was sitting on the floor decorating the Christmas Tree, deep in concentration at my task, I was startled to see a small face appear at the window.  It was this little chap, with his tiny paws resting on the ledge and staring at me through the glass, much closer to me than he is in this shot.   He disappeared quickly but then a few minutes later, reappeared and stayed longer, staring long and hard.  I looked outside and realized I had been slow in putting his peanuts out that morning.  I immediately grabbed the bag, opened the door and tossed a handful out.  Gregg, who had been reading the paper and who witnessed all this, said that he had never seen a human so well-trained by squirrels.  Clever little things aren't they?


Was that a knock I heard on my door?
Am I imagining it; was it there?
Moving from kitchen to living room,
towards the outside door, peer out
a squirrel, one of THOSE squirrels,
looks at me, expectantly, urgently,
demandingly, for a prize, a treat,
oh so smart am I, getting the human 
that primate to do my bidding.
Was it really him that caused my stride
to the closed and locked door,
or was he a lucky beneficiary of fate
ready, opportunistic.
Great, now I need surveillance cameras
to monitor my door for 
squirrelian perpetrators of 'ring and run'.
Was he laughing as I closed the door?

~Raymond A. Foss~






Yes he was!


Camera Critters


Thank you Misty for hosting Camera Critters.  Always a very enjoyable meme and one I look forward to each Saturday.

To see other fun critters you can click here or on the badge above.

29 comments:

Shaun Gibbs said...

What a cute little guy. I bet he was eyeing up your Christmas tree for climbing.

TexWisGirl said...

adorable monsters!

Don't unplug your hub. said...

He does look as though he is asking if you have forgotten something. I think Gregg is right.

Jane and Chris said...

I think they must have a clock in their nests to tell them when feeding time is!
Jane x

gigihawaii said...

He's got you well trained! Lol. Cute photos, Denise.

Jan said...

I think it was a good trade, posing for peanuts! Great captures.

eileeninmd said...

Denise, you have your squirrels trained well. Knocking on your door asking for more peanuts. Great shots, have a lovely weekend.

Country Gal said...

Just like here, only I get squawked at to by the Bluejays . It's as if they are saying ( Hey lady we are starving out here ! ) Or ( Where's our hoffinpepper ) as they beat on the bowls that holds the peanuts lol ! Awesome photos ! yeah I would say they have us trained well lol ! Have a good day !

The Elephant's Child said...

Oooh. He was enchanting. And yes, here I am trained by the cats, the cockatoos, the galahs, the corellas...
When I realise how easily we are trained I seriously doubt (again) our self proclaimed status at the top of the tree.

Cloudia said...

You have such a lovely way with us creatures!

KaHolly said...

Too funny, Denise. A word to the wise, though, DON'T leave the door open because as they more familiar with you, they'll come in!

Pranavam Ravikumar a.k.a. Kochuravi said...

Exquisite clicks! See hau nicely they pose..? Well done.

Kay said...

You do take the most amazing photos, Denise. I love the lighting on the squirrel.

Valerie said...

Greg was right, Denise. Please tell him that I would have done exactly the same if the squirrel had peered at me through the window. Perhaps tomorrow I'll delay putting out the nuts...grins. Happy weekend.

Linley S said...

Beaut photos Denise, my bet is that he will be back, probably bring his mates with him too.

Carletta said...

He's a cute little guy Denise!
I think my birds are the same way with me when the feeders are empty. :)

SquirrelQueen said...

Great shots of this little fellow. We had a squirrel at another house that would come in the patio door if it was open and help himself to the peanuts in the bag.
Happy Weekend!

Icy BC said...

Fantastic squirrels photos, and they are cute to photographers, but also are destroyers :-)

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Denise, Gregg may be right in his comment as seen by the photos. But at least you had a subject who posed while he was lunching. Have a good weekend!

Indrani Ghose said...

Cute captures of the critter. :)

Marie said...

Adorable antics! And such cute photos of him! He deserves his peanuts! :-)

Penelope Postcards said...

Yes our pets and certain wildlife that get fed regularly certainly have us trained. A short distance from where I live someone feeds the crows. When she misses their lunch there is quite a loud ruckus to be heard all around the neighborhood!

Leave It To Davis said...

What a kind person you are to feed the squirrel peanuts! We encourage our dogs to chase them out of our yard because they get in our attic....then we hear them running back and forth. Great pictures!

Salllie (FullTime-Life) said...

So cute -- we used to have one who would actually knock on the glass patio door if our bird feeders were empty! (Pre-digital camera and pre-blog darn it!)

Kerri said...

Oh what a cutie!

Mary said...

How adorable! I would have tossed him some peanuts, too :-) I'm equally well trained! LOL

Pat said...

Such a cute little rascal!

Julie Hargreaves said...

Great pics merry christmas

DeniseinVA said...

Thank you for visiting my Camera Critter post everyone. Hope you've all been having a great week so far.