Monday, November 19, 2012

Our new guest room

This is a post I scheduled a few days ago as this week we're expecting company.  Family will be staying with us over the Thanksgiving holiday, arriving on Wednesday and leaving the following Monday. So much to do before. with lots of shopping and housework and very little computer time, you know how it goes.  I don't think I will be able to stay off here entirely and will try and visit in the occasional quiet moment.

~~~~~~~~

As I have mentioned occasionally I have been clearing out one of our rooms upstairs.  I used it as an old craft room back in the day when I made and painted my wooden Christmas Ornaments, but those days are long gone.  With Thanksgiving coming and on learning we were getting extra company we realized we needed another guest room, and I must say I had fun clearing it all out once I got going. 

 This room had been used to store anything and everything, and like a snowball running downhill it got totally out of hand as it was only too easy to throw things in. Before I tackled this project I would occasionally peek in, roll my eyes and tell myself that it was an impossible task, quickly close the door behind me and pretend there was nothing beyond it.  The time-crunch arrived with our impending company and it gave me that extra incentive.  I carried out that good old fashioned rule when clearing out the impossible and took those baby steps. At first I would do ten minutes here, ten minutes there and then as I could see that tiny light at the end of the tunnel, I gathered momentum.  The only thing that was needed to finish it off, was to put up one last print over the chest of drawers and to hang some curtains.  Gregg did that today.  

I should have taken a 'before' picture but doubt that it would have made it on here.  There was no carpet visible and boxes upon boxes practically from floor to ceiling.  

Here's Gregg putting up those curtains.  Later the print.  Thanks Hun!


And just like when stepping through the British Embassy doors and you are in a different country, the same applies to our new guest room. You find yourself in a little bit of England.


Gregg said it feels like a British Bed and Breakfast.


My British teddies made their presence known. I started off this small collection and a few have been given to me by family and friends.  The print above them is of the village I lived in 37 years ago before moving to the States.  When I found the artist online last year I bought two of them with slightly varying scenes.  The other is downstairs in the family room.  


You can also see my Dad's photo and one of my grandmother, my Mother's mom.  I borrowed Nanny from another spot to get the feel of the arrangement.  I'm busy looking for another old photo of Dad and Nanny will go back to her old spot. The bobby's helmet I bought from a catalog years ago when this company, as their story goes, bought all the old bobby helmets from the Manchester Police Force, and were exchanging them for the flat cap.  Dad never, not to my memory anyhow, wore one in his uniform days, as you can you can probably make out in that old photo.


Another angle leading out to the hallway.  As you look out the door, just to the right is Brad's old bedroom.  My next project.  Yes I have another project.


The old book case was left by the previous owners when we moved in 21 years ago, which I thought was very nice of them.  It previously had old paints and craft supplies on the shelves.  I have filled it with DVD's and CD's, and knickknacks.  


I got the idea to put the cups and saucers and teapot up here when I realized there was no room for them downstairs.  More cupboards to go through at another time.


When I saw them I loved the English cottage design.


One last shot of the reading material on the end table.


We still have the old wallpaper to take off and painting to do, but that's going to have to wait until next year.  

Gregg and I were looking at the scratches still visible on the door and smiled.  They belonged to our now long departed little pooch who got upset with us when we put her in there.  We hadn't long moved in and the room was still empty.  

We had someone visit us who was afraid of dogs.  We decided to keep her upstairs for an hour where we thought she would fall asleep.  Instead she objected by scratching furiously at the door.  When I saw those then deep gouges on the door frame I wasn't a happy camper but I couldn't be mad at her because she was very discombobulated with the move from one house to another, totally out of sorts.  We gave her lots of extra love and attention and she, like us, gradually settled into her new home.  

We did our best to sand those scratches down but they were pretty deep.  Now I look at them and remember how much we miss her, and it also reminded us of all the joy she brought us over the years. 

35 comments:

  1. What a beautiful bedroom! Come here to Hawaii and do mine! Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Denise, Due to my own recent redo...I am so interested in other's.
    Oh My! It does have the look of an English Bed&Breakfast..not like I know first hand but from the telly.:) Love the personal touches,flag,tea pot and cups. Very, very cool. Your guests are going to love it.
    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful guest room, Denise. I love it.. It's does look like a British B&B.... Awesome!!!!

    Happy Thanksgiving.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh! That is just so gorgeous! It looks like a luxurious Bed and Breakfast. Your guests will be touched that you went through so much trouble to make their stay such a lovely experience. I'm afraid our guest room is extremely boring compared to yours. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, Denise and Gregg.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it, Denise. Oh so English. The bed and cover are delightful and I so love to see the helmets on display. Hope you have a wonderful thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Denise, what a pretty makeover. I love your British B&B. The quilt and pillows are pretty. And the teddies are cute. It all comes together beautifully. Have a great week and a very happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like the room so much and love that quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a Wonderful Room!!! You did a FABULOUS job with it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nothing like company to get me in gear! The room looks lovely and will be a nice guest room. May you and your family have a blessed Thanksgiving.♥♫

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is such a welcoming room,Denise. I'll be right over!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  11. it is beautiful - full of english treasures and touches. very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE your guest room! Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Denise...Your can take the girl out of Britain, but you can't take the British out of the girl!!
    Awesome job ..I especially like the front of the bureau : )!!
    Very inviting...now that is a room I would slip of to and just lay on the bed, and take in my accomplishment!!
    Enjoy your Thanksgiving and your company!!
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks very inviting! All of my favorite things. Love the quilt! and the bears. The one time we went to London, we got a photo of our daughter standing next to the huge Beefeater bear at Hamley's toy store and that little one you have looks like it :-) If this was a B&B, I would book a week to visit! Your company will feel very pampered. The teapot and cups are pretty, too and always nice to have reading material handy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looking Good Denise when you said you and Greg were getting reading for Thanksgiving I didnt realise it was a full make over I thought you meant cooking the Turkey. HAVE A GOOD TIME

    please visit my Promote Thanet Blog

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful guest room Denise, just like a little visit home, I would spend my idle days daydreaming in there :)
    I am smitten with the Union Jack dresser, what a fantastic piece, and all the English memorabilia surely will make your lucky guests smile :)
    Gorgeous quilt, so warm and cozy !
    Enjoy your Thanksgiving day with your family and friends Denise and Greg !
    Hugs,
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your English-themed guest room! It's so welcoming and your guests will
    be delighted with it. I particularly like the chest of drawers and bed cover.
    Pictures from where you used to live is a
    lovely touch, too. Happy thanksgiving, Denise!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You have done a marvellous job on your guest room, it look so inviting, interesting and relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well, you did a fantastic job, and I love the nice and clean look of the room. It does has the feel of an English Bed & Breakfast place.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nice makeover, Denise, and yes it is amazing how those back rooms can get out of hand with stuff being stored in them. The back room I use now for my computer was where I made photo cards and I am slowly clearing our some leftover inventory as part of our de-cluttering.
    Hope your house guests enjoy the "new" surroundings.
    Happy Thanksgiving to you and Gregg.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That's a beautiful, hospitable room. It would be a privilege to be there.

    ReplyDelete
  22. much nicer than here at the man cave. I gave my extra bed away to someone in need, so now have cots.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm painting mine plum..I always love the prospect of waking up to see pretty things and sun streaming in./.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your room looks fantastic. I agree with your husband. Can't believe it was that full before. Nice job Denise.
    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  25. You have done a great job of making a nice guest room out of a"junk" room. I like the touch of England idea too. Enjoy your guests and Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lucky company indeed at your house. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  27. What great photos. I'd love to stay in your guest room:)

    Have a wonderful Thanksgiving with the special people in your life. I count you and other bloggers in the things I am thankful for.

    ReplyDelete
  28. It looks marvelous, Denise! I enjoyed looking at all the details, and especially love that tea set on the bookshelves, and also the art/painting of the town where you used to live. It's all very pretty and welcoming. I even like the wallpaper, though I know it's out of date these days, but so am I!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Lovely comfy room ! I'll be there soon okay lol . Oh I haven't seen those English bears for years . I do like the bobby bear . Have a wonderful day !

    ReplyDelete
  30. Very nice guest room. I like the British theme too.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Good to have an incentive to do a job like this. You have done it well and fun with the English flavour.

    ReplyDelete
  32. i came here to see your British room thinking i would not like it because you said it is full of your collections. I LOVE IT... the room is beautiful and your collections are all so orderly and organzied they are beautiful decorations. i want the spread and the bed it is on...

    ReplyDelete