Monday, November 5, 2012

Old Photos

It has been a while since I posted any old photos. These are of husband Gregg as a little boy when his Dad was stationed in Puerto Rico in 1950.  He just reminded me that in the same year as my birth, he was running around in the sugar cane fields with his friend Gene. There are stories that come out of that time, like when he and Gene interrupted the Sunday service at the base chapel, by bringing a goat into the church they had found walking around outside.   

Gregg is on the right, his friend Gene on the left.

 Here he is again with "Ear's" his dog.....



and one with his Dad.

Gregg's brother was born in Puerto Rico.  The family had a very happy time there and years later, with their own families, his brother and sister went back on a vacation.   We have yet to have that pleasure.

Added memory from Gregg: "I remember getting behind the wheel of that big old Ford, somehow getting it into gear and rolling it down the hill.  I hit a tree and the car had a dent but I was fine.  I was probably four at the time."    Hmmmm......so that's where Brad got it from.  Gregg kept telling me that mischievous side must have come from my side of the family, and yes Brad we are only kidding, honest!  And yes I am smiling.

18 comments:

Kay said...

What a cutie he was and still is. It must have been fun to spend time there. I wonder if it's sort of like Hawaii there.

The Elephant's Child said...

He was a scamp at an early age. I hope he retains those irreverent characteristics still.

diane b said...

I love these old photos and the stories and memories that go with them. It looks like he had a free and easy life there as a kid. A goat in the church heehee.

eileeninmd said...

Good Morning, Denise! Loved these old photos of Greg and his dog. He was a cute boy! Great stories and nice memories! Have a great day and week ahead!

Valerie said...

I love looking through old photographs, including yours, Denise. Had to smile about the boys taking the goat into church. And why not, I ask myself...grins.

jabblog said...

I love old photos and when there are stories to go with them it's even better.

Kerri said...

Oh it's so fun to take a trip down memory lane!! What a story about the goat ..... made me smile :)

Tanya said...

i just love old photographs!

Jane and Chris said...

The goat story made me chuckle..it was the pet blessing at church yesterday....no goats!
Jane x

Sherry McDonald said...

What precious photos, times etc. I always love old photos. Somewhere they sink into my heart, and find a connection there.

TexWisGirl said...

what a great time for him.

Marie said...

It looks like he had a happy childhood! Wonderful pictures.

Out on the prairie said...

i never heard of a goat going to church, fun pics

Betsy Adams said...

Hi Denise, I love seeing old photos.. These are great of your hubby.. Thanks for sharing.
Hugs,
Betsy

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

What a fun post. (And Greg definitely looks like he was full of mischief!)....After over half a century together, I still love to hear stories of Bill's childhood, before I knew him.

You've just gotta' go to Puerto Rico!!!

Cloudia said...

Cool!


Aloha from Waikiki, Pal
Comfort Spiral

~ > < } } ( ° >

~ ~ ~ <°)333><( ~ ~ ~
> < } } (°>
><}}(°>~

Maa said...

What wonderful memories. The old Ford reminded me of a time when My sister and I
played' with the handbrake and di the same .... oops!.... Were we in trouble!! Maa

Linda said...

Awesome, Denise. Love this post!