Thursday, November 22, 2012

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

Another previously scheduled post for today and actually wrote it last weekend.  This week we have company for the holiday and my time on the computer will be limited.  For those of you who are celebrating it, I wish you A Very Happy Thanksgiving and I hope everyone else has a wonderful day.

Please feel free to enlarge all the photos if you would like a more detailed look.


This is a repeat and part of a post that I shared a while back, telling of the time when Gregg was on an exchange tour with the Royal Navy, while Gregg was still serving with the USN.  You can read the full post here.


On arrival in England he was sent to HMS Bulwark for four months.  Much to his surprise and delight and because he was the only American on board, the Hong Kong Chief in charge of the wardroom gave him a surprise Thanksgiving Meal, and he had the honor of cutting the cake.

21 comments:

Carletta said...

My kids and grandkids are here and my Mom and Stepdad will be tomorrow so I know how your time is limited Denise. :)
Wishing you and yours a very Happy Thanksgiving!

Cloudia said...

Happy Holiday, Dear



Warm Aloha to YOU
from Honolulu
Comfort Spiral

~ > < } } ( ° >

> < 3 3 3 ( ' >

><}}(°> ~
~ ~ ~ <°)333><( ~ ~ ~

diane b said...

That was very nice of the chief to organise a Thanksgiving meal for Greg. Great memorabilia in this post.

Linda said...

I've just read your former post about Gregg's surprise Thanksgiving Day. I'm sure the photos, the menu and the letter are treasured and put with your shared family history archive. I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving gathering with much to be thankful for. x

eileeninmd said...

I had to laugh at the turkey on the cake, great post for Thanksgiving. Wishing your and your a very happy Thanksgiving!

Kerri said...

Very special!!
Happy Thanksgiving!

Valerie said...

Nice story, Denise. Happy Thanksgiving Day to you both.

KaHolly said...

Enjoyed your post today, Denise. Have a Happy Thanksgiving. ~karen

gigihawaii said...

what a cute post! Happy Thanksgiving, Denise!

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

That was a nice surprise, the chef making the day a little special.

I hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving Denise!

Jane and Chris said...

Happy Thanksgiving,friend.
Jane xxx

TexWisGirl said...

that is so cool to have him singled out for his thanksgiving dinner! :)

imac said...

Lovely post
Happy day to you too my friend

Kay said...

This is just so cool, Denise! I guess Thanksgiving is winding down for now and you're both able to relax. So glad you had a lovely Thanksgiving with your son and daughter-in-law.

Indrani Ghose said...

Great pics!
Happy Thanksgiving!

Marie said...

I hope you had a very blessed day! We had a wonderful day with our family!

Roy Norris said...

Hi Denise.
The current Bulwark is actually the Flag ship of the Royal Navy would you believe. Its a bit smaller than the previous Bulwark.
The current one is a Devonport based Ship. I have certainly visited the old Bulwark a few times.
Have a great holiday.
Roy.

Country Gal said...

Have a wonderful visit with your guests and a good weekend ! Lovely photos .

DeniseinVA said...

Thank you for leaving all the lovely comments my friends. Have a great weekend!

Lyn said...

A bit late I know but hope you had a lovely thanksgiving. X

Barbara said...

Glad you had a good Thanksgiving. My son was in the Royal Navy for a while.

My husband who was in the Merchant Navy tells stories of times when they were invited on board USA ships in far flung places an of the luxuries they had in comparison.