Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Pumpkins

It was a cold morning here in my part of Virginia, only 46 degrees Fahrenheit.  Breakfast today was a bowl of porridge, a teaspoon of honey and a drop of milk on the top.  I grew up on porridge in the colder weather and surprise, surprise, I was eating healthy all those years and didn't even know it.  All Mum was interested in was getting us to eat a hot breakfast of oats to ward off the cold as we walked to school.


But this subject isn't about oats today, it's about pumpkins.  It's pumpkin season here.   They are sold everywhere.  According to what I have read, the bright orange color of pumpkin is a dead giveaway that pumpkin is loaded with an important antioxidant, beta-carotene.  Beta-carotene is one of the plant carotenoids converted to vitamin A in the body.  In the conversion to vitamin A, beta carotene performs many important functions in the overall health.  


I took all my photos at Cox Farms a couple of weekends ago.  It never ceases to amaze me how many different varieties of pumpkins there are these days.  If you click here you can read about them and follow links that have photos of the various kinds.


Tips on growing them can be found here


















18 comments:

Cloudia said...

What pluperfect pumpkins, D!




Aloha from Waikiki,

Comfort Spiral

> < } } ( ° >


TexWisGirl said...

some very funky gourds in there! :)

Out on the prairie said...

i saw pie pumpkins at a Mennonite store for one dollar and big jacks for 2.50 and now wish I had bought a few.I like the variety, but enjoy the seeds and pies best.

grammie g said...

HI Denise..I do miss the days when I had large gardens, and grew Pumpkins, gourds, and etc!!
The one I have a hard time with is the white Pumpkins, just the word Pumpkins says orange to me : }!
Good subject,info and photos!!
Grace
PS I love cooked Oatmeal..no prepackaged stuff for me!!

ZielonaMila said...

Beautiful photographs, wonderful natural resources. I am greeting

Valerie said...

Goodness those gourds come in all shapes and sizes. All edible, I guess. Interesting displays and the colours are fabulous for this time of year. I have to admit I have never tried pumpkin or carved one for Halloween.

The Elephant's Child said...

I adore pumpking - something I didn't discover until after I had left home. My father disliked them so they were never served.

eileeninmd said...

Hi Denise, did you come home with some pumpkins? I love your header and all the pretty pumpkins. Great shots, have a wonderful day.

Roy said...

You can't beat a nice bowl of Porridge Denise.

RoeH said...

I love it when I first see pumpkins appear in the fall. I can breathe again from the long pitiful summer.

Lois Evensen said...

So many fabulous pumpkins! :)

A Brit in Tennessee said...

There is something so warm and cozyn about seeing all those pumpkins nestled together, they are just gorgeous.
I used to eat the porridge also, and remember those cold Winter walks to and fro to school, oftentimes four walks a day, because I went home for lunch....aah.
I've tried to leave you comments on the Cornish Pasty post, but for some reason, I'm unable.
All I can say is lucky you having the shop so close by, I could eat the lot ! *drool*

Mary said...

Wow..I love all the wonderful gourds and pumpkins! Fall is such a great time of year.

diane b said...

A great sies of shots. There is such a variety of shapes and colors but those first orange ones are stunning.

Karen Harris said...

Hi Denise! Long time no see. I am so sorry I have been so remiss about stopping by and commenting. I guess sometimes life just gets in the way. You photos are beautiful and remind me of when my daughter was little. I used to take her and set her amongst the sea of pumpkins at the grocery store and snap her photo. I suppose at 22 she wouldn't find it quite so much fun. I love this time of year.

Marie said...

And now i want a bowl of oatmeal! :-) Anyway, WOW==this place has a LOT of great pumpkins and gourds! Wonderful fall post!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

This is one of the wonderful things about autumn, pumpkins and gourds and winter squashes, all favorite foods and as yiu noted, all healthy choices too, Denise.

Phil said...

I never realised there were all those clours and variety of pumpkins. Nice photos Denise. I'm a porridge fan too, especially now winter is on the way.