Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Piggy Pics

You're going to be getting a lot of farm animals in my posts this week.  I have a soft spot for pigs, ever since we used to take trips to the family homestead in North Dakota and we visited Uncle Orville who had a whole bunch of pigs and we were able to actually get into the pen and walk among them.  I loved that, I loved how they would nibble at our feet and pull on our shoe laces.  You could actually feel your skin being nipped.  No matter, you just laughed and moved your feet. They were really inquisitive things and very enjoyable to observe.  


I don't know whether Uncle Orville ever knew how I felt, that our time out there was a such a privilege.  Something us 'city kids' don't get to do all that often.  I think of those times with great fondness, as does our son who along with his cousin accompanied their grandpa back to the homestead every year for many years from the age of ten.  They also have very fond memories of their times there.


No I couldn't get in the pen with these little cuties at Cox Farms, but it was still a pleasure to watch them.  Mama was nearby.  She looked awfully tired.


You can see little hands anxious to touch tiny piglets.  There was a young father standing next to me with a very anxious look on his face, and he was trying to prevent his child from touching the animals.  I heard, "For crying out loud, don't TOUCH the things" and to me, "Haven't these parents heard about swine flu?"  I have never heard a man chunter quite as much as he did.  I smiled inwardly and said to myself, "Nope, don't think he grew up on a farm, city boy through to the core" and I inwardly had a good chuckle for I didn't see myself putting my hands in there to touch those cute little piglets either, especially with their mama so near.  Needn't have worried really, she was out for the count.  Even so, Mamas can move pretty fast to protect their young when they need to, but I expect she's used to people by now.


"I learned long ago never to wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty and besides, the pig likes it."
~George Bernard Shaw~


Apparently I have something in common with Winston Churchill.  I have used this quote before but it is one of my favorites from dear Winny.
"I am fond of pigs.  Dogs look up to us.  Cats look down on us.  Pigs treat us as equals."


Moving further along and quite a distance from the first group, we came across another mama and her babies.  


They seemed a little more active.

sort of....

No it wasn't like being at Uncle Orville's but it was still a lot of fun....
and it brought back a lot of great memories.

24 comments:

  1. You know the babies are cute, but I can live without the older ones. (Well except for dinner LOL) Great photos though.
    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute! And to think that on Wednesday I'll be slow cooking some baby back pork ribs in my Crock Pot for dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not only are they cute I understand that they are very, very intelligent. Possibly more so than some people who come to see them...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pigs are not my favorites but I agree, the piglets are so cute! I love the George Bernard Shaw quote! I am glad you have such fond memories of the farm!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Denise, the piglets are so cute! It would be exciting as a child to visit a farm. I am not a child but I do love the animals. Great shots, have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have pork for dinner.... so sad! Loved the pictures of the piglets, especially that spotted one. When I was young(er) I fancied owning a pig, goodness only knows why....lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow those babies are adorable!Wonderful family pictures!!!
    purrs and love
    Luna and mammy Léia

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is certainly something endearing about pigs. Did you see the movie "Babe"? Love the different colours of the piglets.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Elephant's Child summed it up for me.
    Pigs are as intelligent as dogs.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  10. How could anyone not feel some love for these creatures especially the piglets. Intelligent and curious what great qualities.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What cute piglets .. but they always are cute, aren't they :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. they are adorable when they're little. a bit more formidable as adults. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. strange, so many different colors on siblings. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome photos ! Cute aren't they? I grew up on a hobby farm and I love all kinds of farm animals and miss having them now . One day Papa and will have our dream hobby farm slowly working on that ! I have wonderful memories and photos as a kid on the farm ! Have a great day !

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Denise, Made me think of "This Little Piggy went to Market"..... Remember that??????

    Cute pictures... They look like CLEAN pigs. Most that I've seen are playing in the mud... ha
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  16. The Shaw and Churchill quotes are clever. I'll make an effort to remember them. I'm glad that you can see the likeable qualities in these piggies. I think that speaks to your edifying ways.

    And now I see that I missed a post about ducks with wigs... I need to go there next. How funny!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lots of good pics and a couple of excellent and unexpected quoted there Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was not a farm kid but we lived out in the country for a long time in among the farm kids and we had lots of relatives who had farms and ranches so for a non farm kid I got to be around farm animals a lot and I loved them, still do. We had relatives in South Dakota who had pigs and like you I liked the pigs, very smart and social critters. But, watch the mommas, you have to watch them with any species.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your pig photos - love pigs, they are such intelligent animals.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I absolutely LOVE pigs too! They are adorable, and they are so smart, and well, who didn't fall in love with them after reading Charlotte's Web? Those babies, you just want to squeeze and cuddle!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Those little piglets are so cute!

    ReplyDelete