Thursday, October 4, 2012

Chickens

Little Known Chicken Facts

Chickens are pretty fast.  The chicken can travel up to 9 miles per hour when it wants to.

The largest ever recorded chicken egg weighed nearly 12 ounces and measured 12.25 inches around.

Chickens can cross-breed with turkeys.  The result is called a Turken (not true - on further investigation I found out that even though it looks and sounds like a turkey, it is 100% chicken.  Check it out at here).

The photo below is not mine but one I found at Wikipedia at the above link.  These are Turkens.

There are four cities in the United States that have the word "chicken" in their name: Chicken, Alaska - Chicken Bristle, Illinois - Chicken Bristle, Kentucky - Chicken Town, Pennsylvania.

The greatest number of yolks ever found in a single chicken egg was nine!

Chicken language has real meanings.  The birds give different alarm calls depending on which type of predator is threatening them.


Chickens experience REM (rapid eye movement) sleep.  

The chicken is the closest living relative of the Tyrannosaurus Rex.

The waste produced by one chicken in its lifetime can supply enough electricity to run a 100 watt bulb for five hours.


China has the most people in the world, and also has the most chickens.  There are over 3,000,000,000 chickens in China.  The United States has only 450 million.

Chickens can fly but not for long.  The longest recorded flight of a chicken is only thirteen seconds

The longest recorded distance flown by any chicken was 301.5 feet.


The record for laying the most eggs in one day was seven.

A chicken will lay bigger and stronger eggs if you adjust the lighting in their cages to make them think each day is 28 hours long instead of 24.

Chicken eggs come in colors sometimes - other than white and brown.  Some breeds lay eggs in shades of blue or green.  Ready-made Easter Eggs!

The fear of chickens is called 'Alektorophobia'.

~~~~~~

All very interesting facts.  I am not sure if the above is 100 percent accurate so I would take everything with a pinch of salt, as in the case of the Turken, but maybe someone who keeps chickens will agree or disagree.

(All my chicken photos were taken at Cox Farms.  Again, very entertaining to watch.  I think I would enjoy keeping them if we lived out in the country and then maybe I would find out a few of these facts out for myself).

14 comments:

  1. Very, very interesting. :) I've learned some new things about chickens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really?? nooooo, cross breed with a Turkey? A Turkin? really?! :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very informative..may be my daughter can use these information some day for her school projects..and the pics are very nice too..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic post, chickens are funny. I am greeting

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Denise, you prepared a great post, a wonderful article!The critters are adorable, great pictures!
    Léia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some interesting chicken facts there, Denise. I didn't know they could move that fast; I always thought they just strutted about in leisurely fashion.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And my partner's sister had a chicken (well a rooster) that liked to sit in her lap and watch television with her in the evenings.
    I feel very sorry for the chicken that laid the humungous egg - in much the same way I feel for women who give birth to 16 pound babies. It really doesn't bear thinking about.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting information. Always something new to hear.
    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  9. My farmer friends tell me that chickens around the yard will eliminate ticks, fleas, mosquitoes, and other bugs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 9 yolks in one egg and 7 eggs in one day - just wears me out to think of those poor birds! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hyline was one of the largest breeders and species developers in the world, just a few miles from my boyhood home. Our neighbor Henry Wallace started this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for stopping by and leaving all the interesting comments. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. (chuckle) I'm so relieved you investigated and let me know about the Turken, I was imagining a whole new era in egg production. :)
    Haha, it really had me!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You forgot to mention Denise, that foxes like chickens so much that they will take them right in front of the owner!
    I dont agree with the Turkens, I think that is over breeding too far.

    ReplyDelete