Friday, October 19, 2012

CAMERA CRITTERS

When I was at the Norfolk Zoo back in September I came across these cute little animals, two Fennec Foxes.  They are the first ones I have ever seen except for those on the TV or from a book.  The first two photos are of the same animal.  This little fox was very skittish and didn't want to show itself.  I didn't hang around too long as it obviously wanted to join its companion asleep under the bushes, as you'll see in the third photo.  


I was at the African exhibit, Okavango Delta, housing Eliza and Roxie. 


According to what I read at Wikipedia, the Fennec Fox or Fennec (Vulpes zerda) is a small nocturnal fox found in the Sahara of North Africa.  Its most distinctive feature is its unusually large ears, which serve to dissipate heat.  


You can read more about them here.


~~~~~~~

Thank you Misty for hosting Camera Critters.  I always look forward to it each Saturday.  
To see other fun critters you can click here or on the badge below. 

Camera Critters

24 comments:

  1. those are really neat, never seen them before.

    Gill

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWE !! How cute ! I would name him Radar with ears like that lol ! Nice photos ! I watch a lot of the Nature Of Things TV programs and have seen a show of these creatures ! Just last night I watched the program about Wolves in our Northern Canada filmed by a well known Canadian Nature Film maker , I have read and studied so much of the Wolf for years . How fascinating all creatures great and small are ! Have a lovely evening !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Denise, they are so adorable! I like their cute ears. Wonderful photos! Hope you have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for introducing us to new (to me anyway) critters (not having access to Africa, this helps!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was trying to think of the name of this lovely creature, before I looked at your words. I thought Fennel Fox. Almost right.

    ReplyDelete
  6. sweet!



    Weekend Aloha from Honolulu!
    Comfort Spiral

    > < } } ( ° >

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am very happy to read your articles it’s very useful for me,
    and I am completely satisfied with your website.
    All comments and articles are very useful and very good.
    Your blog is very attention-grabbing. I am loving all of the in
    turn you are sharing with each one!…

    ReplyDelete
  8. Never heard of this fox before. He's cute. And what big ears he has, all the better to hear you with :O)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Incredible ears. They look bigger than the foxes face.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. how sweet!

    happy weekend sweet denise!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Charming critter indeed, look at those ears! :)
    God bless you!
    Cezar

    ReplyDelete
  12. They are awesome shots! Enjoy your weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful little animals to see...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh wow, I have never seen a fox yet.

    Pony Ride
    Have a fabulous weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very cute indeed with those big ears, looks fluffy but dangerous at the same time. Great shots!

    ReplyDelete
  16. they are beautiful. My first time to see this kind.

    ReplyDelete
  17. How special...

    Pretty little things!

    Greets,

    Gabi

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wee things! I don't like zoos, but I am a fan of the shelters that take in habituated critters.
    Cheers from Cottage Country!

    ReplyDelete