Thursday, September 6, 2012

Rambles.....


Wouldn't you know it, three days to go before we have company and I go down in the basement and find the carpet all wet.  There is a leak down there, nothing like stating the obvious of course.  Fortunately Gregg was home working and we were able to move a few things around to see where it was coming from.  It is the air-conditioning unit again, one of the drains leading from it has backed up this time and voila, a bit of a deluge.  I am counting my blessings because I know there have been such bad floods in other areas of the country and in the rest of the world, and they have a heck of a lot more water to deal with.  I guess it could have happened when our visitors were here, so there's our silver lining.

We are seriously thinking of getting rid of the carpet as this is not the first time this has happened.  Fortunately we bought a machine the last time things went kerplooey, and it vacuums all the water and now we have the fans on to try and dry it all out before this weekend.  And oh yes, that wet carpet and with every respect to Fido, wet dog smell is rampant.  I'll be buying stock in Febreeze after this all ends.

One of us has to stay up here to listen for the doorbell as we are also having a delivery this afternoon and we don't want to miss it.  That craft room I told you that I was clearing out is free and clear and is starting to look more like a guest room.  I have enjoyed putting the finishing touches and have brought some knickknacks out of storage to put here and there.  I haven't had anywhere to put them for a long time so it's like a gift to see them again as I had practically forgotten what they looked like.  We ordered a full-sized bed which should be coming any time between now and six o'clock.   I didn't have time to strip the wallpaper that has been up longer than I care to say and the part that is peeling I'm going to have to glue it back up until we're all quiet again and I can get down to doing a little decorating.

In the meantime on Sunday we will be driving the short journey to the airport and picking up Rose and Pat, our English friends.  We are all going down to Virginia Beach next week to attend my father-in-law's yearly shipmate's reunion.

And two very nice young men just delivered the new bed.  They drove over from Maryland and they were great.   I hope you read this Pat, there is no danger of you having to sleep on the floor now, just kidding!

Now where are my wellies?

17 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

too funny! years ago, while my family was visiting, i had this exact thing happen - the drain from the a/c backed up and wet the entire storage room carpet. just yanked it all out and have cement in that room since. :)

A Brit in Tennessee said...

Murphy's Law my friend !
We had storms last night, and once again our garage flooded, it gave us yet another chance to use the new shop-vac.
We do tend to go overboard when company is coming, I'm the same, have all year to prepare, and make a mad dash at the last minute :)
Enjoy your time with friends, an old Navy reunion, now that sounds like fun !!
~Jo

Rose ~ from Oz said...

Oh Denise, thank heavens it happened 'before' your visitors arrive. It's fascinating to read about things like "basements", might be a sprinkle here but certainly it would be a novelty. And all of our airconditioners are drained to the outside of the house wall. JUst love hearing about how other parts of the world do things.
PS: love the cartoon.....

The Elephant's Child said...

Have a wonderful time with your friends.
In our case it was a cooker which malfunctioned (badly) sending oily, smoky smuts throughout the house and a partly cooked roast in the oven.

gigihawaii said...

Cute cartoon! Wishing you all the best with your friends from England! Yes, if I were you, I'd get rid of that wet carpet.

eileeninmd said...

We have many floods in our basement, mainly due to the hose from the washing machine. I would be tempted to put tile down there but it is so chilly. I hope you have a great time with your friends, Va Beach sounds great since the season is winding down. Have a wonderful evening!

Country Gal said...

Always the way isn't it ? I love my wellies , I have to wear them early in the mornings to feed my birds as the grass is very dewy ! Oh I bet your friends cant wait to see you and the sights there ! Have a great time look forward to photos of their visit ! Laters , have a wonderful evening !

Out on the prairie said...

glad you were able to solve this so fast

SandyCarlson said...

Have fun with your friends!

I hope the basement situation works out in an economical way!

Cloudia said...

Just remind yourself that you won't sink! Do hang in there, dear



Aloha, Friend
from Honolulu
Comfort Spiral
=^..^=

> < } } ( ° >

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I hope you have a wonderful time with friends, despite the water problems Denise.

Farida said...

Hope the basement doesn't get wet again and may you find a permanent solution to the problem. Have a great week ahead of you :)

Ranita Sinha said...

The cartoon is very funny..and wish you a wonderful time with your friends..

Kay said...

Oh no, I'm so sorry, Denise. I hate it when these unexpected glitches happen when you're about to have guests. Wet carpeting is just the worst thing!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Ha Ha -- as long as your friend doesn't have to sleep on the wet floor! That basement flood definitely doesn't sound like fun -- and you have a great attitude about it all.


Hope you are having a good time with your company -- sounds like you are definitely ready to show them a great time.

Marie said...

So sorry about the leak! Hope you can get it permanently fixed so it doesn't happen again.

Relindis said...

Sorry to hear about the mishap. Hope you have a good time with your guests.