Thursday, September 6, 2012

Feathered friends....

Hello there, here are a few of my visitors to the deck today.    
 A Carolina Wren.  I heard its sweet song first.


 A Downy Woodpecker, a female (I think).  Not a very close-up shot but I was fascinated by the pattern on its back. and it never got any closer than this.  

The Tufted-Titmouse carrying off with one of the smaller peanuts that I have seen them take up into the trees.


Over the last few days I have been watching the leaves float down.  It only takes the slightest breeze and they cascade like a waterfall.  It can be very relaxing if you quieten your mind down to enjoy it, like watching tropical fish swimming around a water tank.   Very hypnotic!

Like a switch they know the season is changing, though it has been very muggy today.  It got up to 90 deg. F. in Washington DC and I don't think we were far behind.  Maybe their shedding  is because of the very dry summer we have had.   It won't be long before it will be easier to take photos of the birds.