Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Bald Eagle at Virginia Zoo in Norfolk

Today I am connecting to Wordless Wednesday.  You can find other entries here.


I am a little late but I am also linking to Anni's BIRD D'pot which you can find here.





There are two rescued birds at the Virginia National Zoo, Abe and Jefferson.  I am not sure which one this is.  They were injured in the wild and brought to the zoo for treatment.  Unfortunately their injuries made them permanent residents and they will never be released back into the wild.  But they are getting lots of love and care from the zoo staff and after recovering from their initial injuries, are thriving.  You can read more about them here if you scroll down the page a bit.


According to what I read, the Bald Eagle was chosen as the the US national symbol in 1782 because of its long life, great strength and majestic looks.  At one time the turkey was considered but with all due respect to the turkey, I am glad they decided on the Bald Eagle.


You can read more about this magnificent bird here.



15 comments:

  1. They are magnificent birds. Glad none are right around my house because of my dogs but I can still appreciate their beauty. It's great that they will be cared for life now.

    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this post,Denise.
    Eagles have been on my mind and your post is very timely. How good to know these are being looked after.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome photos ! We have Bald Eagles and Golden Eagles around us here as we live within a Forrest area and river !I have been able to get the odd photo of them soaring over our house ! Quite the beautiful birds in flight ! Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice clicks Denise..loved the clicks..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Certainly magnificent Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! They sure are fierce looking birds, aren't they? Beautiful though and better than a turkey for our national bird. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post on the eagle, Denise! I am glad they chose the eagle to be the US national symbol. They are awesome birds. Great shots!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a majestic bird...you have some great shots of this national symbol. Thanks for joining in WW!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful bird. Yes, I agree, I'm delighted they chose the Bald Eagle, not the turkey! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great portraits! Rehab places do great work....I read that once about turkeys and it make me laugh (they are really silly looking creatures and really not at all smart)...the Eagle is MUCH better.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You snapped some great pictures of this beautiful bird. Wonderful that there is a rehab to handle their injuries and give them a future. And while we love our turkeys that hang around our property, I am glad they chose the Eagle.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the eagle photos. I didn't know the zoo in Norfolk had them. Looks like I need to get over there, it's been years!

    ReplyDelete
  13. They are indeed a majestic bird. I have always considered it inappropriate (to say the least) that we eat both of our national emblems. Or at least I don't being a vegetarian, but they are eaten here. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is so very gorgeous. We had a pair of them in our trees when we lived in Colorado...they take your breath away when you sight one!!!

    Regarding your linking to the Bird D'Pot and confusion...you commented that you don't know what day for the new meme Linky Tool? Well, each Saturday afternoon [Texas USA time] ==a new bird post and new linking tool is posted at my birding blog. Hope that helps.

    Saturday afternoon and it is open to the following Friday. Then, a new one begins...each week.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice pictures of the eagle. We have an injured eagle, who resides at the local Audubon. I like to go visit Liberty from time to time.

    ReplyDelete