Sunday, September 9, 2012

A cup of tea perhaps?

I may be a bit scarce for a little bit while I enjoy the company of my English friends whom we picked up at the airport today. We have just spent the evening drinking several cups of tea and now they are in bed catching up on their sleep.  It's the wee hours for them and I think they did well staying up as long as they did.


In case you can't enlarge the photo for a better look, the top of the above photo reads,

"We had a kettle, we let it leak:
Our repairing made it worse.
We haven't had any tea for a week....
The bottom is out of our universe."

Rudyard Kipling



With our English friends visiting , I am sure the kettle will be singing more than usual.

What is your favorite tea?  Mine is Yorkshire Gold or PG Tips. 



"When the world is all at odds
And the mind is all at sea,
Then cease the useless tedium  
And brew up a cup of tea.
There is magic in its fragrance,
There is solace in its taste,
And the laden moments vanish
Somehow into space.
The world becomes a lovely thing,
There's beauty as you'll see,
All because you briefly stopped
To brew a cup of tea."

Author Unknown

"There are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as Afternoon Tea."

Henry James from The Portrait of a Lady



This one made me laugh as I have a husband who enjoys Iced Tea very much, but I have never developed a taste for it in any other way than served hot, even in the height of summer.  And I have heard jokes about our English weather on both sides of the Atlantic.  (My friends were telling me that Iced Tea is actually getting very popular in Great Britain).

"American-style iced tea is the perfect drink for a hot, sunny day.  It's never really caught on in the UK, probably because the last time we had a hot, sunny day was back in 1957."

John Holt



I can't really say this, because I enjoy a cup of coffee enormously.  Now here's a twist, in Torquay which is the town where I worked back in my single days, there was a restaurant that served Iced Coffee and I enjoyed that a lot, but I never saw Iced Tea on a menu until I came to the States.  That definitely was not my 'cup of tea'.

"Coffee is not my cup of tea."

Author Unknown


And last but not least, a little bit of tea wisdom.



"Remember the tea kettle, it is always up to its neck in hot water, yet it still sings!"

Author Unknown

24 comments:

  1. enjoy your time with them! i did like the quote about the UK weather. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. how lovely to have friends visit. Do enjoy-


    Have a Great Week
    Aloha from Honolulu
    Comfort Spiral
    =^..^=

    > < } } ( ° >

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep a variety depending on my mood.I like some of the fruit flavored ones , especially iced.Otherwise make mine with cream and sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A cup of tea never goes astray. I have many different types of tea, and take them as the mood and the day dictate.
    Enjoy your friends company.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so funny that I am just drinking a cup of tea as I read this post! I think of the herbals, Lemon Zinger is one of my top faves. But so many are lovely. Just a tiny bit of honey is all I like in it.

    Have fun with your visitors. Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cute. I enjoy iced coffee and iced tea, but don't like either hot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic post, I like such stories. I am greeting

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved this post, Denise. Yes iced tea is catching on here even though we don't have the weather to go with it. My preference is lemon and ginger which, if allowed to go cold, is still palatable, but the 'house' tea is Yorkshire Gold. I moved over to herbal teas a couple of years ago.

    Enjoy the time with your friends.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I spent the first 28 yrs of my life in the UK..I HATE TEA!
    I'm such a let down.
    Jane xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. How lovely to have friends visiting and having a nice cuppa with them. I always take a certain brand of tea when we go to Italy for a sister-in-law who got to love tea when living in England.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Denise, loved all your tea quotes and pictures.
    Enjoy your visitors and have fun catching up and showing them the sights :D)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I miss th eold fashioned reminders and peasantries so much . We had weekly rituals now gone - lily liove above

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yorkshire tea, all the way. We have some Red Rose but I can always tell when my husband uses the Yorkshire teabags. Yes, my husband makes the tea, hey, he's the English one!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous post! I am so glad you have visitors from England! Loved all the quotes. My favorite tea is Earl Grey, but I haven't tried many others. I love English Breakfast and Irish Breakfast as well. I'm not "into" peach and orange and raspberry and things like that, though I will try them at Tea Houses. I ADORE teapots, cups & saucers, and anything made of lovely porcelain (my hubby calls them "breakables" :-) ) I don't own many, but do treasure what few things I do have.

    I hope you have a delightful visit with your friends!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Denise, enjoy your time with your friends. I loved all the tea quotes and poems. Have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Enjoy your time out with your visitors. I'm a coffee drinker but I do enjoy a green tea late at night. Sue

    ReplyDelete
  17. Enjoyed your postcard of the ladies having tea. I have tea with my friends every week. My favorite tea is called "Red Rose" manufactured here in Atlantic Canada. Enjoy your friends' visit!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'd love a cuppa !
    Enjoy your company from home, I hope you've stocked up on the chocolate digestive biscuits :)
    Love the tea quotes and pictures.
    Hugs,
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Enjoy your visitors, I loved your musings about tea.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nothing beats a good English Breakfast tea. I had fun in the states asking for white tea. Most said we don't have White Tea. I learnt to say I'll have black tea with milk. Enjoy your friends' stay.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I do love green tea and iced tea, but then I also like milk tea. Tea is wonderful. ;-)

    ReplyDelete