Tuesday, August 7, 2012

My early morning visitor

Look what greeted me when I gazed out the window still half asleep, but not that asleep that I couldn't reach for my camera.  I think I would reach for my camera even if I were sleep walking.  He brought his family along with him today, a 'murder' of crows.  I wonder how many crows it takes to be able to call them a 'murder'.  There were at least five of them hopping around after those peanuts.

My brother-in-law in Germany called yesterday on Skype.  It was a lovely surprise and we had a nice long chat.  He had recently purchased a new laptop and was delighted with it.  We joked that in between purchases of these electronics, there are so many new bells and whistles that it is like going from a propeller to a jet airplane. The picture was as clear as a bell, clearer than any Skype call I have had yet.   Gregg arrived home in time to join in and so the three of us had a great conversation for nearly an hour.  Gone are the days with the quick phone calls over a land line.  Now we can actually see our family and it makes the distance all that much shorter.


"Hello sun in my face.  Hello you who made the morning and spread it over the fields.  Watch now how I start the day in happiness, in kindness."

A lovely quote from Mary Oliver

19 comments:

  1. Hi Denise...oh dear they are loud to..I have a family of them that nest in a tall pine in the back every year!!
    They are fun to watch, but I am afraid now that they have found the peanuts....lol : }!!
    Great shot of a bird that gets a
    bad rap ; }!
    I just love that quote!!
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice shot Denise, also love your Header.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely photo ! Your header photo is great as well ! Glad you had a nice chat with your brother -in-law . We live with Forest all around us and a river so we get lots of large pray birds and some times they plop down in our yard but not for long as Miggy scares them off ! Have a great day !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great shot. I guess that skype does make it really nice for people to talk, especially out of the country.

    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love watching the crows. glad you caught him!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful quotation by Mary Oliver! And a lovely portrait of the crow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. they are so funny aren't they? They always make me laugh!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. that is a nice shot. Is it a Black crow?

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I read the title, I was hoping it wasn't a squirrel or crow -- we have too many of those pests here...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. I understand that some people consider them pests but I have a weakness for crows. And their family groups always seem so caring and protective.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice shot of the crows! I have used Skype, but it was a long time ago. I am sure that the technology has improved since I used it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful photos, Denise! You sure do have an eye for beauty. I am glad you enjoy Skype. I have used it just twice with my grandkids, but they don't have the patience to sit in front of the computer for long, which is too bad for me. Lol. I think I'll try to get Lisa, who now is a grad student in Nevada, to install Skype so we can video chat this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is great how technology can keep us closer to geographically distant family and friends. One thing I miss though is writing letters by hand. I still send short notes on cards but I was recently talking to my sister about the days of writing long letters by hand. Sometimes I miss it but my handwriting is so bad at this point I never write anything long by hand.Love the shot of the crow.

    ReplyDelete
  14. if you put out peanuts, everyone will come!!

    i adore skype!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a lovely shot!!love ur blog..

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a gift to greet you! A cicada greeted me this morning! It landed on my arm!

    ReplyDelete
  17. How perfect! We're going to be doing a Skype call this Saturday if all goes as planned. We have a high definition camera on our computer, but my cousin only has a tablet so what we see is pretty grainy. He was surprised at how clear we all looked. You're right about technology. It's truly made the world closer and smaller.

    ReplyDelete