Thursday, August 23, 2012

More photos from Walney Pond

Crossing the bridge just past the pond, we always enjoy stopping in the middle and looking down into the water.

I always love looking at the reflections from the overhanging trees.

Gregg has had his photo taken on the bridge a lot, in all seasons.

We are on the other side and beyond the bench and picnic table is our pond....

which calls us back.  To the right of Gregg out of sight, is the now vacated beaver lodge.

I am standing on a brand new platform that replaced the old one a couple of months ago.  It's a favorite spot for fishing, or just looking out at the water like we do.

The Cardinal flowers were blooming, they always look pretty surrounded by all that greenery.

The lilypads were looking a little on the bleak side in parts but the lilies were as beautiful as ever.

This is a smoothed out indentation on the bed of the pond, made by a fish which I told you about in the previous post. You can see a small one in the middle just barely.  It's not going anywhere, guarding its territory and chasing off any other fish who dares to try and take it over.  What I noticed was, and if you stretch your imagination a little, just a little, you can almost see that the hole is heart-shaped.  I thought that was pretty neat.


"Smile Denise!!!"  "Look at the camera!"  "Denise?"  "Look at the camera!!!"  "Show some teeth!" Okay, so I'm not feeling like looking at the camera today Gregg, or showing my teeth, but I'm smiling, sort of.

There were a few wildflowers here and there....

and for the first time at the pond we saw some kind of heron.  He was a small one but he flew like a heron.  We disturbed him and he decided to fly to the other side where he disappeared in the marshy undergrowth.  This is about as best as I could get because he was gone in a split second.

I returned to things that I knew would stay still, like the interesting looking grasses....

and the waterlilies again.....

leaving off with a very lonely lilypad in the middle of the pond that Gregg asked me to take a photo of.  

16 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

it's a pretty park, for sure. love the lily pads. and you're silly. :)

Country Gal said...

Fantastic photos ! We go to a conservation that looks very similar , it is beautiful also ! Love the photo of you trying not to smile ! Have a good day !

SandyCarlson said...

These are super. Pond lilies fascinate me. I like the way they seem to flatten and the pop out of the watery landscape.

Your photos are wonderful, my friend.

Kay said...

Looking at these photos put me in such a mellow mood. It's all just so lovely. What is it about water lilies that always enchant us? Every time I see one I have to take dozens of photos.

Rajesh said...

Beautiful shots, such lovely flowers.

Out on the prairie said...

Some amazing shot plus a giggle with look at the camera Denise.Some places become like old friends each time I visit.

The Elephant's Child said...

Loved the waterlily. Sadly the photo of you was absent.

Relindis said...

I get excited when I see waterlilies in a river or pond environment. I've never managed to capture a heron flying. They are so quick. I can understand why the walk by the pond is a lovely experience.

NatureFootstep said...

thsi is such a lovely place. :) You are lucky to be there.

Ranita Sinha said...

Such a wonderful place and lovely pics..you look very nice and the water lily too..

Sunray Gardens said...

Lovely shots and you can tell you two enjoyed yourselves.

Cher Sunray Gardens

Cezar and Léia said...

wow the heron picture is outstanding!
Adorable set of images!
Léia

Don said...

Nice one Denise nice to see you in a piccie and Gregg of course. XXX. Don

Marie said...

The waterlilies are just gorgeous! It's such a beautiful, cool and peaceful-looking place. It's a shame the water level is so low! I hope that also improves and gets back to normal soon.

diane b said...

Beautiful lily and a pretty handsome pair of humans too.

sparkle100-havealook.blogspot.com said...

I took time today to sit and look at your photos and your stories and your pictures of you and hubby. After sending you a private email.

Very, very nice.

What a handsome son you have and his pretty wife.

Blessings for sure.



Carol Ann