Thursday, August 2, 2012

Getting the garden all tidied up

In yesterday's post I mentioned that we had to have a lot of yard work done and how pleased we were with the progress, from a weeds gone wild kind of a look to a really nice tidy up job thanks to the gentleman and his crew who did all the hard work.  In the Autumn we are hoping to do some landscaping which we're also looking forward to.  



This is the front of our house.  We've lived here since 1991.  We have a few structural problems and when Gregg retires they will be on his honeydew list.  To the right of the front door we have problems getting plants to grow as there is a slope and the water seems to run off too quickly.  Another project we'll have to take care of for the honeydew list.



This is Gregg's van in the driveway and my car is parked in the garage.  For the first time in ages, yesterday I had a hard time backing out of the garage and almost scraped the van.  I think my biorhythms were way off because I'm usually quite good at that.  However, I haven't forgotten the time I thought he had gone to work one morning and he hadn't.  I backed out that day too and promptly broke his headlight and my tail light.  That was about ten years' ago.


We have a crepe myrtle bush that is blooming at the moment.  I'm at the side of the house looking towards the back, and those are holly bushes that I never want to get rid of as they have the most beautiful red berries later on in the year.


I'm in the back of our house.  That's our deck where I take a lot of my backyard wildlife photos.


We have a bunch of trees in a little island of dirt and this area in the above photo and the one below was full of poison ivy.  I'm glad we hired someone who knows all about this nasty stuff.  We didn't and poor Gregg got a bad dose of blisters and welts when he did some weeding a while back. He had to go to the doctor and get a cortizone shot. That's when we found that this stuff had gone rampant.  We have been trying to tackle it ourselves but there was so much of it we decided to get some professional help.


Another one with more of that island of dirt showing.


And a closer one of the deck.


This is our favorite tree.  I have forgotten what it is already but I love the bark.  Before we moved here another tree had been destroyed by tent moths and it had eventually fallen on the roof.  We learned this from a neighbor but we have had no such problems as at least we're trying to keep an eye out for that sort of thing.


Here it is with vines growing up the side.  We will be getting rid of those too.


This is another crepe myrtle and there is a very large fir tree just beyond it.  We've been told we will need to get these trimmed and topped off.  The crepe myrtle is as tall as the bathroom upstairs and I occasionally get squirrels staring at me through the window.


That's about it for the tour around our garden.  Hopefully next year there will be a whole lot of flowers to show.

26 comments:

  1. your home and yard is very nice. glad you were able to hire someone to help clean it up as that poison ivy is nasty stuff! have been to emergency care several times in years past to get cortizone shots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just lovely!! Very homey, but still a lot of work, huh? Poison Ivy and I have quite a history!! Last time I had contact with it, it went systemic and I became very sick. Beeeee careful!! ~karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely gardens and home ! It is a lot of work taking care of gardens but I do enjoy it . Lovely photos and your header photo is great ! Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a pretty home!
    I know what you mean about critters peeping through the window..we get all sizes!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you ever dine or entertain on the deck, Denise? It's really pretty. We have a patio with a round metal table and 4 pretty blue chairs, but we have never dined there. The dining set is just for show, as it adds color to the patio. We sometimes buy a flowering plant for the table, which adds even more color.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful Garden and a big house too, Im sure your list will soon be done my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yikes! I'd never want to be out in the garden with poison anything. Just plain old weeds here. You do have a lovely home and yard!♥♫

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is Gregg aware that this list is open ended Denise, or are you keeping that one up your sleeve.{:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Denise: Your house looks lovely with all your plants. We have a similar deck on the back of my house.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bless your magical place



    Aloha from Waikiki
    Comfort Spiral
    <(-'.'-)>

    > < } } ( ° >

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love seeing more of your yard, Denise. You all did a great job with the weeds... Wanna come and get some of ours now?????? ha ha

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have a beautiful big house and the garden is looking neat and tidy. I would love someone to come in and give mine a clean up but they charge too much, so I plug on by myself doing a little each day. I can understand you not wanting to lop the overhanging tree.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely gardens and home! I am greeting

    ReplyDelete
  14. your garden looks very inviting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely home and gardens. Nice to get rid of the poison ivy. There are some great ground covers out there if you want that planted that way.
    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  16. The ivy is bad to have. I have a rash now from the stuff. It looks like it might be the vine on your favorite bark tree.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You have a wonderful deck and back garden!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You have a beautiful house and garden.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I LOVE that tree, also. And your yard is so nice!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for the yard tour Denise. Right now we don't have any garages and I have never had to drive in or out of one in my life! So if and whe. We do relocate and get one, I may have similar struggles.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for the tour. There are different plants, birds and such from what we have out here in Colorado.
    We have lots to do on our yard too, once we get the inside done! I think I am going to cover part of our patio and put up a fence. I would like to get chickens next year so we should have a fence to slow down the foxes and keep the chickens in.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wonderful comments everyone, so nice of you to stop by.

    ReplyDelete