Tuesday, August 21, 2012

A few photos of Reston Town Center, Virginia

We don't go to the center very often but enjoy it when we do.  It is full of trendy shops, a movie theater, and restaurants.  It's home page is here.

Below, the Mercury Fountain which stands 20 feet tall.  On top you can see the bronze figure of Mercury, Greek Messenger God.  Directly behind me as I am taking a photo of the fountain, is the open-air glass Pavilion which is turned into an ice-skating rink in the winter.  
I found the following online.

"Mercury Fountain was designed by Brazillian-born sculptor Saint Clair Cemin in collaboration with RTKL Associates, architects for Reston Town Center.  His bronze figure of Mercury stands atop a twisting column of Carrara marble with water cascading from twelve snail-like bronze trumpets into tiered pools below.  Located in Fountain Square, which is the focal point of Reston Town Center, the beautiful fountain has become a popular place for friends to meet."

If you are interested in Greek Mythology and would like to know more about Mercury, you can go here.



This is a building which overlooks the fountain.

Obviously a person after my own heart.  As we made our way back to our car we passed a convertible with the top down and I saw the toy lion (I'm assuming) tucked neatly on the dashboard.

24 comments:

  1. Lovely shots, I have seen a few curved buildings,and they are remarkable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that fountain! Mercury looks like he's actually flying above with a message for everybody.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for this virtual tour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing some shots of Reston Town Centre. The curved building is interesting. We have a Mercury statue on top of a theatre in Sheffield, UK. I've taken photos in the past as you can see it from several angles even from enclosed streets. I like yours against the blue sky.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great place to visit. The fountain is fantastic.
    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  6. That Lion is to frighten would be car thieves.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful photograph, curious about the place, perfect to the trip. I am greeting

    ReplyDelete
  8. The loin is a great car alarm!
    Jane x
    PS Looks like a beautiful downtown core.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful fountain and your pictures are great!
    Léia

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice pictures you show.
    Hanne Bente

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like fun!. You should have jumped in the fountain. lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like fountains, particularly on a hot day. I love the lion, though:-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've heard a great deal about Reston Town Center, but I don't recall seeing many photos of it. I really like that fountain -- and the lion.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful fountain and building.

    Many thanks for your very nice comments on my night shots.

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh, those are very creative shots, especially the one that looks up to the building, but love them all.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Denise, Looks like a neat place to visit. That fountain is gorgeous... Thanks for sharing.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  17. der LÖWE gefällt mir..sollte ich mal versuchen ob ich den auch stricken kann..
    LG vom katerchen

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks a nice sort of friendly town. Very creative shots Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am amazed that stuffed thingie was not stolen. It would have in Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete
  20. i love that photo of the building, nice perspective and the stuffy toy by the wheel drive :D cutey. Thanks for the visit Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The Reston Town Center is very interesting. Love the beautiful fountain! I have been to Reston, once many years ago...had an artist friend who moved there.

    I haven't been able to access your blog by clicking on your comments to my posts! It opens up a page that says About Me with no links to you on it and no info. This happened with one other blog too and I'm not sure why. Fortunately I have you on my sidebar where you won't get lost!

    ReplyDelete