Monday, July 9, 2012

Words from William and a bit of a ramble.....


We have a gentle rain this morning, a welcome relief to the gardens around here.  The grass was looking very brown.  I walked down to the curb and it felt very refreshing after all the heat we've been having.  In the half light I am sure I saw a rabbit scurrying under a bush, another welcome sight as I haven't seen one in ages, ever since the clover patch disappeared.

There is one family member who is very much in my thoughts today.  Life is full of surprises, not all of them pleasant.  Needless to say I am sending all my prayers in their direction.

Thank you for all your birthday greetings yesterday.  How lovely it was to read them.  It reminds  me yet again how many very kind and dear people there are in the world.

My son and daughter-in-law came over and took me out for a birthday meal.  It was a lovely end to the day and made it very special.  They are off to San Diego this week for a holiday.  I am so excited for them.  Son was born in Long Beach, California 32 years ago.  We lived there for a couple of years and then moved down to San Diego, living there for several years, and then moved back to Virginia when he was ten years' old.  It only seems like yesterday.  Daughter-in-law's dad was in the military for a spell and also spent time in San Diego, though she said she was very young and did not remember it too much before their trip there last year.  I'm looking forward to their photos of this latest one.

I had a lovely chat with my niece and brother-in-law who called me in the afternoon.  Always great to hear from them.  My niece is enjoying the three sheep she acquired when she and her young man bought their new home.  To recap, the previous owners had a small flock they kept in the back garden but did not have room at their new place for all, and they asked my niece if she would like to look after the three that were left.  She said yes and it sounds like she's grown very attached to them already.  Yesterday she was telling me that they had had their first cut and looked cute and cuddly.  They also recognize her now and scamper over when she appears.

I also got together with my friends where I was the birthday girl and for my birthday meal we went to The Fox Inn in Middleburg.  It is about as close to a British Pub as you will get for an ExPat Brit and many of us have found our way there.  If you click on the link it will take you to the photo gallery.  I have been going to The Fox Inn for years, a wonderful place with a lot of history.  You can read all about that here.  I came out of the place carrying several bags of gifts, but it's not just the gift giving that made it special, as the company is always great.  A lot of laughs and a lot of chatter.

I picked up three friends on the way, one of whom was in an area I had not been before, so I put the GPS on.  For the first time my GPS got it wrong and we ended up a little lost down a dirt road that seemed to go on forever.  I was curious so didn't turn back right away, even though I knew we were going in the wrong direction.  I think I will go back and explore it further but as we were running tight on time and we were meeting others at the inn, I didn't want to be too late.  I called the friend we were trying to find and she put us on the right path, we picked her up and were still ten minutes early by the time we got to our final destination.

Okay, that's about it, I am heading for the coffee pot.  I hope you all have a great week.  Denise x

11 comments:

Jane and Chris said...

So happy to hear that you had a wonderful birthday. I remember the Inn from your last birthday post. Looks like a lovely place.
Jane x

Valerie said...

What a nice birthday you had. Took a look at your link. it must be nice to have an English style pub so near.

TexWisGirl said...

glad you have a break in the heat! sounds like you had a nice birthday all the way around.

gigihawaii said...

Glad you had such a pleasant time with your family and friends. I have never been to San Diego nor to your part of Virginia, but you paint such nice mental images. Again, happy birthday, Denise!

Out on the prairie said...

Nice day it sounds, a good way to celebrate life.

Country Gal said...

Great to hear you had rain , we are still waiting for some . I checked the forcast for the next few days and still none ! Oh Happy belated Birthday , glad to hear you had a good one . It has been years since I have been in an English style pub . Love your photo , Stay cool and have a great day !

ShySongbird said...

Many belated happy birthday wishes! It sounded like a lovely day. So sorry to read a family member is in trouble.

We have had nothing but rain here for more than three months! The most for over a hundred years :-(

I loved all your 'Camera Critters'.

imac said...

Happy Birthday for yesterday Denise.
Glad you had a great day and thoughts to your relations.
We are having rain rain rain, floods all over the country too.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Hi Denise, glad to read about your birthday doings. Thanks again for posting the pulled pork crock pot recipe, which I reported on our blog. And, also hope you didn't mind that I told fellow bloggers about your birthday. Grenville's is coming up this weekend!

Denise said...

Thank you for visiting everyone.

eileeninmd said...

Denise, I am so happy you had a great birthday. The Pub sounds like a nice place. Hope you have a great day!