Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Mac N Cheese - Southern Food

Many of us enjoy our comfort food and every now and again if I haven't cooked something in a while and there is a hankering for it, I get a request from Gregg.  This time it was for Macaroni and Cheese.  It was hot again today, 99 degrees F.  I didn't want to turn the oven on but as our air-conditioner is now fixed and this dish only had to go in for half an hour, I said I would have it ready by the time he got home.  I have borrowed the picture from the site I got it from because yet again I forgot to take a photo.  I know you've all probably got your own favorite recipe for this dish, but this was so easy and as I like to make a record of all the ones that we really enjoy I am sharing it. I got the recipe here.



Macaroni and Cheese

8 ozs. elbow macaroni
1-1/2 cups shredded Cheddar Cheese (our favorite is Dubliner)
3 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 cup milk
1 egg
1/2 cup buttered fresh breadcrumbs (the suggestion was to process 2 slices of bread in a food processor with 2 to 3 tablespoons of butter.  I used my blender and melted the butter before mixing it in).

Boil the macaroni in salted water according to the package directions.  Drain under running cold water.  Cover the bottom part of a 2-quart baking dish with a layer of macaroni, a layer of cheese, dabs of butter, salt and pepper.

Continue layers until all ingredients are used, ending with a cheese layer.

Whisk milk and egg together and pour over the top.  Cover with buttered breadcrumbs and bake in a 350 degree oven for 25 to 30 minutes, until browned and cooked through.

Serves 4 to 6.


~~~~~~~

I loved the fact that this was such an easy dish to put together as I started late in the day after Gregg had called to say he was on his way home. The breadcrumb topping added a delicious crunchiness and everything was very yummy. I was also going to make a squash casserole but time was getting on and instead served it with a fruit salad consisting of diced mango, strawberries, watermelon and blueberries, everything that I already had on hand in the fridge for my smoothies. It made for a light and refreshing side.

Added note: there were leftovers which we had the next night.  Reheated it was just as delicious.

19 comments:

cloudia charters said...

Now I want mac & cheese!


Warm Aloha to you from Honolulu
Comfort Spiral
<(-'.'-)>

> < } } ( ° >

Arija said...

Snap! I made macaroni & cheese last night too, except it was freezing cold and the oven was very much appreciated.

ZielonaMila said...

Interesting dish, it seems that it is tasty. I am greeting

Valerie said...

I adore macaroni cheese but hubs doesn't care for it, consequently we never have it. I'm saving your recipe though, just in case I can use it when stepdaughter comes to the UK.

Sunray Gardens said...

Sounds good. I'm about due for some here too. :)
Cher Sunray Gardens

JJ said...

Sounds yummy but Mike not keen on pasta.
Just checking in again on your blog, fab flower fotos as always.
Didn't know you had baby Micees, cut pic.
JJ
XX

eileeninmd said...

Densie, I love mac & cheese. This recipe sounds easy and delicous. Thanks for sharing.

KaHolly said...

Homemade mac and cheese is a favorite of mine!! I never think to make it. Thanks for the suggestion, as well as the recipe!! your header picture is exquisite! ~karen

diane b said...

Can I come over for dinner?

Linda Gross said...

This is the second mac n cheese recipe I have seen in as many days. The other recipe I saw was made in the crock pot. I am beginning to use pinterest and pinned this recipe to a newly created board. Maybe pinterest will help me find the recipes I see on blogs that I want to try someday!

Cezar and Léia said...

Hmmm looks delicious and it's so Italian!
Thanks for the recipe, I want to try it!
hugs
Léia

TexWisGirl said...

it looks yummy. i'd have had a hard time turning on the oven, though. :)

Tanya said...

oh yummy! i made mac n cheese last night too, but it was velveeta from the box lol

A Brit in Tennessee said...

Lol..we had Mac & Cheese last night, so creamy and always a welcome favorite.
Yours looks delicious, especially served with the fruit !
~Jo

Out on the prairie said...

This is comfortn food, and similar to what my mom made. I ate it cold sometimes it was so good. I will give this a try.

Kay said...

This looks so wonderful. I have only ever made mac and cheese from a box. You make it look simple... Hmmmm....

Debbie said...

it looks yummy!!

i use "martha's" mac and cheese recipe and find it a lil daunting. i thought the layering was interesting and unusual!!

Marilyn said...

Hi, thanks for stopping by my soap post. The Unstoppables are the lavender colored scent boosters. I can't remember if they smell like the flowering plant (lavender, from the garden) as I threw away the container. It wasn't difficult to find all the ingredients in the laundry soap aisle at WalMart. All I did was pour everything into a large plastic container and stir. Later I even found flakes of the Zote soap, which would be easier than grating the bar of soap. Apparently it is quite thrify to use, but I don't add things up and then figure out how many uses I will have with a batch of soap. I always enjoy your visits and mine to see what you are up to.♥♫

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Thanks again Denise for another recipe which I will try as soon as the temps cool down. This would go great with some chicken or pork chops or even all by itself. The fruit salad accompaniment sounded delicious as well.